Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perforated seats durability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife somehow managed to make two holes in the driver's seat this week. We still don't know how. She doesn't recall wearing anything that has sharp edges, and in her last car (BMW X5) the seats were in perfect condition even after five years of usage (they were not perforated though).

Anyone else seeing similar issues? Taking it to a shop next week to see if they can repair and maybe create a matching white cover...

IMG_4193.JPG
IMG_4195.JPG
wide.JPG

Interesting. Seemingly something on the back of each leg. That's a little worrisome with regard to the longevity of that fabric (I ordered it as well). Let us know what they say.

@marcus - Was she wearing high boots with some kind of buckle? I can't imagine what else would do it in that place, unless she was wearing spurs and used them to take Ludicrous to the next level :biggrin:. After all, you are in horse country!

How painful to look at what happened. I grabbed a flashlight to check all of my seats since so many have sat inside. No damage noted.

Almost looks like a spiked high heel pushed against the synthetic Ultra White seat. Both of the tears you show have the same appearance.

Can you think of anyone else who may have entered and exited? This is one mystery you want to solve to correct what is happening.

I was mobile, so was being brief, but what I meant was "no tears in my fabric would be the ideal scenario, but if it's so delicate that it DOES tear, then choosing black over white might've been the better option as it would have hidden the tears".
Gotcha. Good point.

It would be really good to figure out what caused these holes. I would guess it was something much more extreme than casual use.

I'm casting another vote for the boots theory. Had something similar happen to leather seats in a truck a few years back on the passenger side... Where my wife sits. Ended up with some scratches and a one fairly deep gouge. It was from her boots that had straps with buckles near the top. Didn't affect her car though, just lined up differently I guess. I'm surprised the perforations on the Modle X seats roll all the way over the front edge where there is more abrasion and wear. Hmmm... I have the Ultra White seats coming in our X. One more thing to worry about I guess. :/

I have to say, this has me considering making a change to my ultra white order. The problem is I have a pearl white exterior on order, and I just don't like the white/tan look and I don't want a black interior. So, we'd have to sit down and discuss an exterior color change. Ugh.

Marcus, I'd love to hear your update once you get someone to look at it.

I have to say, this has me considering making a change to my ultra white order. The problem is I have a pearl white exterior on order, and I just don't like the white/tan look and I don't want a black interior. So, we'd have to sit down and discuss an exterior color change. Ugh.

I am in the exact same situation as you. Neither the wife nor I want all black interior -- had that on too many vehicles recently and I just don't like it. I don't like the tan leather on offer for the Model S. It seems the tan for the X is a little different and a bit lighter, but still not what I'm after. I was disappointed that there is no grey or other alternate option. The white is very striking. It took a lot of discussion with the wife to get to our Pearl White w/ White decision... Don't really want to start that discussion up again and pay $500 + probably additional delay at this point to change. I'm just going to patiently wait for my VIN, then eventual delivery and it is what it is.

If I could get Midnight Silver with Grey leather like on the S, I'd probably spend the $500 without further thought. Or maybe keep the grey with the white.... Then again, with the reports of how thin and soft the leather is, I don't know if it is really any more durable than the white non-leather.

Marcus, I'd love to hear your update once you get someone to look at it.

As this was a one off incident, you might try and not draw too many conclusions from it. It may have happened just as easily to tan premium leather. I am just saying I have seen plenty of photos of Model X with white pleather and only this one set of photos. It seems everyone else has really liked their white seats. I think there is a whole thread about the white pleather where everyone really likes it either here or over at TMs forum. Good luck

As this was a one off incident, you might try and not draw too many conclusions from it. It may have happened just as easily to tan premium leather. I am just saying I have seen plenty of photos of Model X with white pleather and only this one set of photos. It seems everyone else has really liked their white seats. I think there is a whole thread about the white pleather where everyone really likes it either here or over at TMs forum. Good luck

Thanks, Mike. I'm definitely holding off, but there are two incidents named in this thread - AnOutsider also noted that theirs was delivered with a tear. Good advice, regardless, and I'm eager to hear from Marcus once he gets things settled. Besides, my 90D is still raw materials in the ground. :wink: