Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plano to Austin - day trip ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Electroman

Aug 18, 2012
TX
I am planning to do the reverse of Day trip Austin-Plano tomorrow. Advice for a quick charge in Plano/Dallas? and wondering if the veterans have some tips for me.

Plano to UT Austin is around 225 miles and I will start from my home in Plano fully charged. Waco is bang in the middle. So I can do a pit stop and do a full charge there.

My concern is Waco supercharger --> UT Austin --> Waco supercharger which is around 210 miles round-trip. Doable on a 85 if I drive conservatively at speed limit? Has anyone done that?

I've done it many times. The last time I had about 80 rated miles left at the second Waco stop. Others say they have about thirty left. If you are going to drive a lot in Austin, just pick a lunch stop with charging.

Looks like you can charge at Tesla's showroom if you schedule an appointment ahead of time.

PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Tesla Motors

Please call ahead to schedule charging. Use of connectors is reserved for Test Drive cars and owners with charging appointments. Owners are encouraged to check in with store staff upon arrival and move their vehicle once their desired level of charge is complete. Owners without an appointment may be asked to move if the space is needed for a Test Drive car.

You really do not need to leave Plano fully charge with 109 miles to Waco if you mean range charged. The difference between 90 and 100% is a few minutes extra in the supercharger as it will be in the faster part of the charge.

Good point. But the car is sitting at home and charging overnight. So why do I care, as long as I only let it sit for an hour or less.

But your point is very valid. That 10% at lower SoC is so much more quicker to charge - perhaps only another 5 mins at the supercharger - compared to two hours or so at my slow 20 amps at my house.

Interestingly even with my new tires I am seeing 290 Wh / mile with not a lot of effort at a steady 70 mph on highways on 50F and no wind. That is below the rated consumption which is pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right, it really doesn't matter either way.

It just means the trip could actually be done without any real planning and it wouldn't be a big deal if you forgot.

The whole foods around here have free charging (chargepoint required to activate - no need for the card, can start from the app). They do seam to be 30amp @ 208... So not super fast.

The tesla gallery has high power chargers and a few 14-50 if I remember correctly. Shouldn't need though. Esp with the range your getting.

I find on the interstate, if I can get into a caravan of cars (even going 80+) then my efficiency is greatly increased.

By the way, mkjayakumar, what tires did you get? My OEMS I think will need to be replaced in the next 5-10k.

If you've got a CHAdeMO adapter, there's plenty of them around for free.

I'll second that when visiting the Austin area from DFW a Chademo adapter is an extremely handy thing to have, particularly around weekends or holidays, as both Tesla options (Service Center and Domain Store) are not terribly convenient or fast. If you are burning a bunch of Austin local miles it seems to be to be difficult to add miles quickly without the Chademo option. Many of the hotel charging options are also sub par.

I'll second that when visiting the Austin area from DFW a Chademo adapter is an extremely handy thing to have, particularly around weekends or holidays, as both Tesla options (Service Center and Domain Store) are not terribly convenient or fast. If you are burning a bunch of Austin local miles it seems to be to be difficult to add miles quickly without the Chademo option. Many of the hotel charging options are also sub par.
Don't even think of going to the Austin service center for a charge. There's not enough room for all the cars being serviced and delivered as it is. Look at Plugshare and you'll see dozens if charging options. We're not California but it's close. Your best bet as ChrisTX mentioned are the CHADeMOs that EVGo hasn't started charging for yet.

The other Option if you plan to spend a great deal of time driving around in Austin, and don't want to use a standard charging station while there.
Plan to end up near the South end of town and head South on I-35 toward San Marcos and Supercharge there.
Now you are all set for for a return back thru Austin and on to Waco.

Depending on how full you need it to be and the speed you travel, this could also work.

Rudy's at 35 at 3406 have just added a pair of Tesla plugs and a ClipperCreek - get some BBQ and free electrons :)
Thanks for the info! I swung by there this weekend to check it out. I was concerned that if they were located in their main lot that it would be a pain as the lot is usually chaotic and packed. But the chargers are located over by the carwash which is in the lot next door. I forgot to take a picture but they looked like easy access and all 3 chargers were open and not ICE'd. My house is only about 10 minutes away and good excuse to eat more BBQ! Just need the car first..:tongue:

All right then. It was easy peasy. I charged to 90% at home and drove at 75 mph where ever possible and plugged in at Waco SC. Plugged in for about 35 minutes (I guess) from 52% to 96% and charged it to 244 miles. Didn't wait to get another 10 miles to 100% for another I guess 10 minutes. I knew I had enough buffer.

From Waco to Austin and back to Waco was around 210 miles round trip and driving at 70 mph and 65 at construction zones, I consumed only 215 miles with 12% left which I thought was amazing. I didn't expect I would get almost that close to rated range given the speeds. I guess the conditions were perfect - 70F, light 10 mph wind and I think slower speeds of 65 mph for nearly 100 miles (50 miles each way) of construction zones, helped. Another day things might be different but again a straight day trip with no Austin local driving in the mix should be fairly easy.

Plugged in again at CSB and it charged from 12% to 80% in about 35 mins before I could finish my sandwich, coffee and bio break. With 200+ miles in the battery, that is more than enough to get back home.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455573219.739798.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: nuevodesi