Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No rinse wash vs power wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. My car goes into production today. I have thought long and hard in regard for the past month on how am I going to take care of the paint.
I like your thoughts on the no rinse technique and the power wash technique. Are these techniques safe for the protective coatings listed below?
is the no rinse technique reallly saving water? I live in southern california and we are in a drought so saving water is important.

popular options are: A- xpel wrap the whole car except pano + opti coat pro plus the whole car
B - xpel the hood, fender, bumper + opti coat pro plus the whole car
C- opti coat pro plus the whole car only

1) With the A option I can take it to the local car wash and not having to worry about scratches since xpel will protect from scratches. But I noticed they still sometime use power wash
and therefore can damage the xpel.

2) With option B and C I have to wash it myself because carwash will scratch the paint. power washing is out of the question because power washing will damage xpel.
Another way to save water is to do a no rinse wash. Does it really save water? This technique uses alot of microfiber cloths. Don't we
need to use water to clean the microfiber cloth? So water is wasted trying to clean the microfiber cloths afterward. So are we saving water?

3) With option C I can save water by using the power wash. I can use the leaf blower to dry the car by blowing it away and thus do not need to
use any microfiber cloth and therefore don't need to use extra water to clean the microfiber cloths. This seems to be the easiest. But high risk of paint chipping.

Which option are you doing and are you happy with it or wish you have chosen a different option. Your feedback is appreciated as I have to decide soon my OCD is running overtime.

Thank You in advance.

I have Opticoated my car. I used to do the full two-bucket thing, including foam gun, Air Force Master Blaster, etc. Courtesy of the local water restrictions, I now do the no-rinse thing -- did a blog post on it here: Washing Your Model S with A Product - Blogs - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

I can wash my car with two gallons of water--even with having to wash the microfiber cloths (I have an HE washer), it still saves a lot of water. One recommendation if you are going to forced air dry is to have a dedicated device--the Air Force Master Blaster is great if you can swing it as its powerful and the air is heated so its very fast, of just use dedicated leaf blower--don't use the leaf blower you use for gardening, shop vac, etc.

I have Opicoat Pro+ on mine as well. I use Spray-On car wash form Griots and love it. As long as the car isn't super dirty - like after driving around in snow and slush - the process takes 30 minutes and three microfiber towels worth of dirt removal.

I get a full detail on the car every 6-8 weeks to keep the interior excellent and make the exterior shine. I use the Spray-On was in-between details. And if the car is noticeably dirty I head to the touch free drive-thru car wash to knock the dirt off before I use the Spray-On.

The value of the Opti is that the car never needs to be waxed. A 30 minute job with the Spray-On wash (or any good wash really) will make it shine like it just got waxed professionally. Opti is worth every penny.

Last edited:
LIC2DRL: Awesome questions and always at the top of my list!

Here's what I do:

I don't have a wrap. I would love it. But in time...

I got the CQuartz Finest coating on day two of ownership. Full polish, blah, blah. I love it. For the first year, with the CA drought, the car rarely got wet from the elements, so cleaning was a total breeze. Dust her off with a CA duster and use Griot's Speed Shine with super plush MF cloths to keep her pristine. I tried other dusters and did not like them. I also have tried Carpro's waterless spray wash. It works well. But I just don't like it. Personal preference. No hologramming, scratching, etc. Works like a charm, uses no water at all and is so easy to do. I think it might take 30 min at the most. And I figure that the amount of water that I use to wash the MFs is nothing compared to what I would use to wash the car. I have an HE washer.

Now that it is finally raining (yay!), it is a different game. So when she gets dirty, I use my power washer to get all the abrasive stuff off. I never get too close to any surface. I stay pretty far back. I really try to flood the car with water to remove all the harmful debris. It's been raining here pretty much all the time lately. So I let it go at that. At least she looks a bit better. But this weekend we are getting some sunny days that might hit 70. So I plan on a total lovefest on Sat and Sun to "clean her good". So I will power wash as a pre treat and then do a two bucket wash, blow her dry, do a diluted IPA rinse (no-not beer. Though I expect I will consume a few), a lovely buff and be done.

Re: just doing a light power wash to get rid of the ugly gunk. My thought is that the paint is better off with a haze of dirt on it, rather than constantly cleaning her and risking micro scratches when I know it's going to rain in a day or 2 or 3. The CQuartz gives me a nice layer of protection, as OptiCoat does. I've just learned to let it go. And trust me, being as OCD as I am. It ain't easy.

I have had her for 1.5 years now and I have almost no hologramming at all, and absolutely no scratches. She looks great. I am sure that I am the only one that notices anything at all. We are so lucky living in CA because we get a good 6-9 months of no rain, depending upon what Mother Nature decides for us.

I hope that helps.

Suntek front 1/3 and Modesta overall. Swear by Optimum no Rinse Wash. 30 minutes easy wash and dry!

XPEL on front, fendors, back bumper and Opticoat Pro on the entire car. Dual bucket wash with master blaster and she gets washed weekly....no swirls.

image.jpeg

If you have a dark color (and no wrap) I'd be very cautious of the no-rinse stuff. I had a black car (Infiniti) and it had horrible spider swirls after using it for a while. I just don't think you can get enough of the dirt off with this method, as opposed to pre-wash / suds bath / suds cloth). Just my $.02

Folks,
I used Ceramic Pro 9H as soon as I bought (Apr 23 2015) without even detailing the car from where I picked up in Boston area. The person who provided the service suggested the "Optimum No rinse" solution. It has been working great for me. My Tesla is black 85D. I clean EVERY WEEK. No swirls or spiders at all.
We started having snow badly in the last 10 days. Of course the optimum no rinse couldn't clean it as the dirt and salt got stuck pretty bad. I used 50:50 of water and Vinegar and sprayed on the car. After that sprayed water (NOT too much force but gentle force). Dried it with micro fiber cloth. Then gave my "optimum no rinse" spray and dried again with micro fiber. Voila!! Came out to be a beautiful.