Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door sill kick plates... argh.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I managed to slightly dent the drivers side aluminum door sill plate (the ones that say "model S" on the inside of the door opening). It looks like something that's relatively easy to replace, however depending on cost and labor involved, I may just live with it. In any case, has anyone replaced and/or priced these things out?

And if anyone was wondering, I let a plastic shopping bag with a can in it slide off the seat and down onto the plate as I was exiting the vehicle. I really didnt expect there to even be a scuff but here we are.

Well, I managed to slightly dent the drivers side aluminum door sill plate (the ones that say "model S" on the inside of the door opening). It looks like something that's relatively easy to replace, however depending on cost and labor involved, I may just live with it. In any case, has anyone replaced and/or priced these things out?

And if anyone was wondering, I let a plastic shopping bag with a can in it slide off the seat and down onto the plate as I was exiting the vehicle. I really didnt expect there to even be a scuff but here we are.

I have no idea how much they cost but I've seen some VERY nice aftermarket sills that are likely competitive or cheaper. Check posts from @artsci or other interior experts on this forum.

The labor is about 30 seconds but you might break a clip so it's good to have a few extra.

- - - Updated - - -

A ranger replaced one of mine, it's held on with two-side foam tape like trim and emblems, easy to DIY change. The old one will get damaged on removal (just pry it off).

They replaced just the aluminum inlay and not the whole trim piece?

Pic

c118e8346b4215482789fb180c85322f.jpg

This is great news, my OCD approved. Thanks everyone!
Once replaced, I suggest you spend $16 and get a strip of Xpel from Amazon, then apply it over your new plates. I bought a strip that is intended for the lower sill area, but it's just wide enough you can remove the backing, lay it over the metallic plate, then use a new Xacto blade to easily run around the edges to remove the excess. Looks super and if you do have any small hairline scratches, they'll disappear in the process. It won't help if you dent the plates again, but it will solve the scuffs problem that at least for me is of even greater concern -- as you can easily pull the Xpel off and put another piece down one day if need be.

I recall a picture that I saved from someone here on TMC who had a door sill plate mounted inside their FRUNK in a plastic frame.
It really looked sharp. I will see if I can find that picture and post it here.... letting my fingers do the walking....

Ok Found it.... I REALLY WANT ONE OF THESE!

Ideas on where this came from??? How to get one?

Frunk Plaque Door Sill in 2015-Tesla-Model-S-P85D-128-876x535.jpg

Last edited:
Reviving old thread .. my door sill/scuff plate is askew. Took it apart and noted there were 2 nylon retainer clips on the bottom, one towards the front/top, and a metal clip towards the rear. Interestingly, the clip bottom/closer to rear was deformed when I took it apart, so likely assembled incorrectly. I measured and order an identicvsl cclip .. and it doesnt fit. Went back and lookjed further .. the bottom clip towards the front is white and measures 9-10 mm w x 17 mm length wheres the bottom rear - in my car - is green and narrower likely 8.5 mm W x 20 mm L

tl;dr anyone know the exact specifications of the clips retain the horizontal plastic section of the drivers door sill, Tesla Model S 2018, in place? Even better, a link to online store?

Once you mess with those sill plates, I feel it's worth considering an upgrade to an illuminated version from Norm or Tesland. It was a relatively simple upgrade to do, but it's really nice to have! I had to get a few new plastic clips (Toyota Sienna, I believe) to reattach the larger plastic sill cover after the install.