Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to design my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I'm in the process of building a new home and therefore have the unique opportunity to setup the garage with the perfect configuration for my Model S. I thought I'd offer this up to the community: how should I design my garage?

Specifically, where should I put plugs? What kinds of plugs? At what height? How many volts/amps? Any other thoughts aside from the electrical setup?

Thanks.

P.S. Garage floor plan is attached.

Attachments

• floor plan.pdf
    75.3 KB · Views: 419
How many spare amps do you have to put to the garage? Can you get 240V 90A to the left side of the garage (upper right part of your PDF?).

Tesla hasn't released details of which charge plugs they will support. I think it would be a safe bet to think at a minimum you could get a 240V@70A J1772 based EVSE to put there. Possibly buy one from Clipper Creek, or wait to see what Tesla offers for sale along with Model S.

Might you have more than one EV in the future?

Not to hijack, but I might. I'm in a similar position as the thread-starter, though my builder is one of those "green builders" so they're planning solar this and green that. We haven't yet discussed electrical requirements so I'm equally interested in the knowledge in this thread.

I placed my NEMA 14-50 socket on the center of the back wall - that way the charge cable reaches the car easily regardless of whether I park forwards or reversed into my garage. I would have put the socket 2ft above the ground so that the charger would rest on the floor and the weight wouldn't be pulling down on the plug; however, local regs dictate that 220v/50A garage sockets must be 48" off the floor.

Tip, make sure you can place a hook or similar on the wall near the socket to hang the cable when not in use.

I would wire each parking stall (right and left sides) with 4 x #4 wires so you have 100 amps available to each stall. L1, L2, Neutral and Ground. You may not need to use the Neutral, but it is there for you in case you need it. You might not use them all at the same time, or you could program them to charge at lower levels for longer periods. You can choose the recepticle or EVSE at a later time when needed. 48 inches would be a great height as mentioned above. Have your contractor leave you a 2 to 3 foot + tail so you can connect an EVSE directly.

Additionally, I would put a protected Nema 14-50 or wired box on the exterior of each side of your garage. Then you will have power available for all of your Tesla Motors Club friends when they come to visit.

Last edited:
Consider installing 3 phase. It is probably going to be the source of choice for your next electric car (after the Model S). It may be cost prohibitive, but worth looking into.
In the meantime, up two three bays can be on a different phase.

Have your contractor leave you a 2 to 3 foot + tail so you can connect an EVSE directly.

+1

Mine wired up the EVSE directly, with about 9" of wire. When time came to add a meter, it was a pain.

So, think about meters (in particular if you are planning for solar) and add them at the same time (or leave plenty of cable and space free for them later).

Check with your local electric utility company. Many have special EV rates, and will provide a separate meter for your EV(s). Some have DOE funds to provide free ESVEs to their customers as well.

GSP

...Additionally, I would put a protected Nema 14-50 or wired box on the exterior of each side of your garage. Then you will have power available for all of your Tesla Motors Club friends when they come to visit.

=1 on an exterior plug box for other EV in your drive or street. Once you have an EV you will have friends with them. Share.

Thanks for all the input guys. The information is very helpful.

I do anticipate having two EVs at some point so I'll definitely put two outlets in the garage -- one on each side. I think I'll actually do one on the wall opposite the garage door and one on the side wall. That way I'll be able to accommodate both EVs that have the plug on the front of the car (like the Leaf) and those that have it on the side (e.g. Volt). I imagine I'll probably back the Model S in. Since the port is on the rear of the vehicle, I can also use the one on the wall opposite the garage door.

Love the idea of putting one on the exterior as well. I'll ask about this.

Love the idea of putting one on the exterior as well. I'll ask about this.

Stefano puts these in.
26-DSC_9138.jpg
30-DSC_9146.jpg

http://www.stefanoparis.com/piaev/W...9.05.14MilbankPaul/thumbnails/27-DSC_9140.jpg

If you're going for two chargers and two cars then think about durability of cables; can one car be driven over the cable on the floor while the other car is still charging?

Also - in which direction will your garage door (doors?) open? Up and over isn't a problem (unless you decide to suspend a cable). Side opening can catch you out :biggrin: