Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 15 Issues with the Model X, that I found during delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that is not what I had expected from Tesla in general. Has Tesla fixed the falcon doors? We were worried about these door so we delayed our configuration by 5-6 weeks after we got the invitation, hoping that the bugs would get worked out. Sadly, it seems we were correct in our assumption. It must be really irritating and disappointing for you. Best of luck.

Are you telling us you took delivery like this, or that these issues came to light with one month of drive time? I would never have taken delivery of this $100K+ vehicle without spending at least an hour of uninterrupted time fine-tooth combing every square inch of car. We all see you venting on this forum, but tell us the responsiveness with TMC to these concerns. Please tell us that you raised these concerns to the DS.

Are you telling us you took delivery like this, or that these issues came to light with one month of drive time? I would never have taken delivery of this $100K+ vehicle without spending at least an hour of uninterrupted time fine-tooth combing every square inch of car. We all see you venting on this forum, but tell us the responsiveness with TMC to these concerns. Please tell us that you raised these concerns to the DS.

I made sure they gave me a paper in writing to address some of these concerns, the other ones I found under better lighting.

I have emailed both my DS and the Service Manager.

- - - Updated - - -

Delivery was before Xmas last year.

I am still very concerned that the Falcon Wing doors are a complete waste of time. Really, Elon Musk is a great guy that I have enormous respect for, but no one makes the right call every single time. In my opinion this was the wrong call.

Positives:
1 - Make loading your small child into a car seat easier.
2 - Allow easier entry to the third row seats.
3 - Allow the door to open with great ease in a tight spot.
4 - Marketing. Apparently people like gimmicks and this creates free press.

Negatives:
1 - Complicated, looking like they can be prone to failure. (probable)
2 - Added expense, both in engineering and manufacturing, and consequently the price.
3 - Most probably delayed the Model X launch by a year (unverifiable)

I'll also add that on point 2 of the positives, it looks like the 6 seat option is proving very popular, almost alleviating the positive. Most people who sit in the third row are kids anyway, and they have no problems climbing over anything regardless, its like a little adventure to them!

I just don't think any of the positives outweigh the negatives. I put the self presenting doors in this category too. I have never once though opening the door to my car is a hassle.

Everyone already loved the Model S, it doesn't have gimmicks, its just brilliant. The Model X would have been fine as the same car, just with 2 extra seats (or make that 1 extra!).

Adam.

Hi All-

I picked up my Model X about a month ago and finally had the time to take photos and document all of the physical/cosmetic issues I have with the car, that has been there since delivery.

I'm sharing this in hope that you don't have the same issues, please check out these areas when you pick up your Model X.

View attachment 110385

What was your delivery date? And when did you capture those images?

Hi All-

I picked up my Model X about a month ago and finally had the time to take photos and document all of the physical/cosmetic issues I have with the car, that has been there since delivery.

I'm sharing this in hope that you don't have the same issues, please check out these areas when you pick up your Model X.

View attachment 110385

Yikes! Getting mine soon and I'm hoping they are doing better with the X at this point ... Years ago I told service that I was debating on paying the extra money to get the signature edition. They told me not to. They said signature cars are basically bata tester cars. That you pay a big price (lots of issues) to be one of the first. I made the decision to wait for that reason. When I see these problems I am not only worried but I'm relieved that I didn't get my car in December like I wanted. The truth is I'm convinced Tesla will fix everything. Its just not fun when you pay 150 grand and you deal with problems... I was one of the early ones a few months after the S sigs.. I had tons of problems. Now three years later my S it's perfect. Now my X is due in a few weeks and I'm giving my S up for more problems. lol... Crazy...

That is not good.

It is clear that since Jerome's departure/hiatus that Service & Delivery folks are either suffering from less skillful upper management, or that they are just overwhelmed (temporarily, optimistically speaking).

Regardless of top down or bottom up (lots of new hires who need some time to season), I dislike intensely seeing pictorial evidence like this. Although thanks for posting. Indeed, when I picked up my Model S at the factory, it had a 3' wide buffer swirl/scuff front and center on the frunk. That cost Tesla $500 at the time. Completely unnecessary.

To see some of what you endured is... disturbing, at best. These episodes must drive Elon and (most of) upper management absolutely nucking futz. Can't play the "oh, well, stuff happens" card forever, folks.