Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

self presenting door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I was at fremont viewing event last week and one of the representatives said that if you don't order the self-presenting door option then the doors will not be equipped with extra motors so that you can't open and close the front doors from the console.
Can someone confirm that's the case?
Thanks

d.

I needed this confirmed because I didn't order the Prem pkg so I just got off the phone and spoke to someone named Ryan. He confirmed that there are indeed motors in the doors which can be actuated from the fob, console, phone app, etc.

He said there is no other way to open them because unlike the S, the handles don't pop out.

@bignikku and green1 what you said makes perfect sense, I don't see how you can open the door otherwise. In which case the self presenting door feature is just a software enabled feature since the sensors and the motors should be there already.

It's frustrating talking to tesla reps, they don't seem to know anything about model x and pretends to know everything:( i hope musk doesn't ban me from saying that.

Btw there are at two motors on each front door, one by the hinges used to open and close and another by the latch to pull the door shut tight.

seems like the motors would have to be there, unless they put different door handles on the outside of cars without auto-present, because last I saw, there was no handle, only a touch pad.

A touch pad in theory could still activate the latch solenoid and "pop" the door as long as it opens far enough that you can grab the edge to pull it open. A Model S-style handle would make more sense.

Makes complete sense to me that they would delete the motors in order to reduce cost. I agree with mknox. The doors can easily pop open by touching the pad.

I gotta say, it's a kind of useless feature. Yes, I can see the handiness of it, for sure. Over the top first world. But oh how I want it!!!

Makes complete sense to me that they would delete the motors in order to reduce cost. I agree with mknox. The doors can easily pop open by touching the pad.

I gotta say, it's a kind of useless feature. Yes, I can see the handiness of it, for sure. Over the top first world. But oh how I want it!!!

I don't care about self presenting, but I love the self closing! And I can definitely see opening the passenger side automatically from the touch screen when I go to pick my wife up at places.

On my Sig X, which has all the options, the front doors open/close from the Touchscreen. Pressing the door handle, which is a physical switch, opens or closes them as well. Pressing the brake closes an open driver's door. Doors do not autopresent, there may be a future feature in the Settings menu but it's not there now. It would be an annoyance in my narrow garage.

On my Sig X, which has all the options, the front doors open/close from the Touchscreen. Pressing the door handle, which is a physical switch, opens or closes them as well. Pressing the brake closes an open driver's door. Doors do not autopresent, there may be a future feature in the Settings menu but it's not there now. It would be an annoyance in my narrow garage.
At the reveal event for the X, after one of the employees exited the drivers seat and shut the door manually, he walked over to Elon and the door started to open again. Elon then had to go over and close the door. Perhaps they're still trying to work out kinks in the system before they implement it. after all I wouldn't want my $140,000 car open its door when I walk away. I would be pissed to come back and see that the door had been open the entire time I was away.

It seems like there is a sensor in the door that detects obstructions. Given that, it would only open wide enough until it sensed an obstruction.

It appears they will be motorized regardless if the premium package is purchased.
image.jpeg