Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obama to propose $10 per barrel oil tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jeff N

Oct 31, 2011
New oil tax would fund additional green transportation spending.

Obama to propose $10-a-barrel oil tax

President Barack Obama is about to unveil an ambitious plan for a “21st century clean transportation system.” And he hopes to fund it with a tax on oil.

Obama aides told POLITICO that when he releases his final budget request next week, the president will propose more than $300 billion worth of investments over the next decade in mass transit, high-speed rail, self-driving cars, and other transportation approaches designed to reduce carbon emissions and congestion. To pay for it all, Obama will call for a $10 “fee” on every barrel of oil, a surcharge that would be paid by oil companies but would presumably be passed along to consumers.

It's all about 2°C! (global average temperature) To my understanding we were at 1.84 and rising in 2015. If the $10-a-barrel oil tax passed, I sure hope much of it is directed to Hyperloop development (other transportation approaches designed to reduce carbon emissions and congestion.) Clean, 21st century means of transportation... along with very badly needed upkeep of our current crumbling infrastructure.

Good luck getting that passed the petroleum lobby!

It's a fee, not a tax! Please correct the name of the thread.

I can't think of any reason it won't happen. In theory, even Republicans should be thrilled to support this since it isn't a tax.

Most people probably wouldn't notice an increase of 25 cents a falling at the tank, at a time when gasoline is between $1.50 and $2.00 a gallon. This is also the only way for the USA to pay for to replace our crumbling infrastructure. It would also create millions of jobs.

Heck, this might provide the USA with a way to meaningfully reduce the Federal debt. I recommend everyone watch this video.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Infrastructure (HBO) - YouTube

In 2014, the United States consumed a total of 6.97 billion barrels of petroleum products, an average of about 19.11 million barrels per day.

With this new fee, that would give the Federal Government $69 billion every year to invest in infrastructure projects.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: AmishEV
Actually, its not a fee either, it is a subsidy reduction.

Good point! I don't see how any sensible Republican could oppose this.
1) It's not a tax.
2) It's a subsidy reduction. Every sane economist who hasn't been paid off agrees oil subsidies are a major drain on the economy.
3) Does Obama need approval to implement this fee/subsidy reduction?
4) The tax on gasoline is absurdely low.
5) It is impossible for Gasoline prices to go lower.
6) Every state would benefit.
7) Most consumers wouldn't notice the difference. Those who do would support it. Do people like paved roads, sidewalks, reliable access to energy, reliable bridges, reliable trains/buses/public transportation, snow removal, etc?
8) This will prevent deflation from occurring.
9) This will reduce the federal defect and will give states enough cash to invest in essential projects, upgrade infrastructure, and create millions of jobs.

Yes, but would the money actually go to its intended infrastructure projects? No matter which party is in power, money earmarked for one thing often finds its way misdirected to some pork project or another.

Why should anyone care if some of the money is used for unintended projects as long as the projects are USA based projects? Hundreds of billions of dollars that can be invested or spent in the USA without needing to add to the Federal deficit, that will likely reduce the federal defecit, would benefit everyone.

As Jeff says, if not now, when?

I don't see how any sensible Republican could oppose this...

drinkerofkoolaid: You don't follow politics very closely, eh?

Republicans savage Obama's oil tax plan:
Republicans savage Obamas oil tax plan - POLITICO

Unless the definition of "savage" has changed since I last looked it up, there is nothing to be seen here. Please move along...

RT

- - - Updated - - -

As Jeff says, if not now, when?

The very first day that:
1) There is a Democratic president and...
2) There are 218 Democratic members of the House and
3) There are 51 Democratic members of the Senate

RT

Good point! I don't see how any sensible Republican could oppose this.

"Sensible" Republicans (and Dems) will want to continue to raise campaign funds. How many astroturf groups will Charles & David Koch create to shout down anyone who supports this?

(I think it's a bloody good idea, I just don't see most politicians having the character to stand up to pissing off some of their biggest contributors.)

drinkerofkoolaid: You don't follow politics very closely, eh?

Republicans savage Obama's oil tax plan:
Republicans savage Obamas oil tax plan - POLITICO

Unless the definition of "savage" has changed since I last looked it up, there is nothing to be seen here. Please move along...

RT

- - - Updated - - -

The very first day that:
1) There is a Democratic president and...
2) There are 218 Democratic members of the House and
3) There are 51 Democratic members of the Senate

RT

Yeah, not so sure of that. Doubt that the North Dakota and Alaska (D) Senators would vote for this. Energy policy is often a regional issue over a political issue. Same reason why the Senator from Wall Street is having such a hard time right now in the Democratic debate. You protect the interest of those who elect you. period.