Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla’s Autopilot app lives in a class of one" - Car and Driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amazing they got the pricing wrong... AP is a $2500 option... glad Tesla "won". Not to mention all the others are and always will be limited to how it works... today. the Tesla is forever software up-datable to fix these issues...

Not surprised that the Tesla AP proved clearly superior to it's competitors while costing significantly less. Of course the article had some errors in regard to the Tesla: the writer made it sound like the car will verify it is safe before initiating an Auto Lane Change, but that is incorrect. The driver needs to do that.

Quote: "The sedan that begs to differ is this test’s clear winner. With utmost confidence and only two cautions from legal counsel—“Always keep your hands on the wheel. Be prepared to take over at any time”—the Tesla Model S locks onto the path ahead with a cruise missile’s determination and your hands resting on your lap. Tesla’s Tech Package with Autopilot costs $4250 and uses one camera and one radar sensor."
Such a basic error: there is no "Tech Package" and AP costs $2,500. Far less than the competition. And a base Model S with AP costs $72,500, again less than the competition, and in some cases way less!
And yes, it went unmentioned by the writer that the Tesla AP gets updated OTA, all the owner has to do is tap on the center screen. The other cars may never get updated after purchase, or if they do, the owner will have to take the car in to the dealership and pay through the nose, I'm sure.
All in all, great publicity for Tesla!

Not surprised that the Tesla AP proved clearly superior to it's competitors while costing significantly less. Of course the article had some errors in regard to the Tesla: the writer made it sound like the car will verify it is safe before initiating an Auto Lane Change, but that is incorrect. The driver needs to do that.

Quote: "The sedan that begs to differ is this test’s clear winner. With utmost confidence and only two cautions from legal counsel—“Always keep your hands on the wheel. Be prepared to take over at any time”—the Tesla Model S locks onto the path ahead with a cruise missile’s determination and your hands resting on your lap. Tesla’s Tech Package with Autopilot costs $4250 and uses one camera and one radar sensor."
Such a basic error: there is no "Tech Package" and AP costs $2,500. Far less than the competition. And a base Model S with AP costs $72,500, again less than the competition, and in some cases way less!
And yes, it went unmentioned by the writer that the Tesla AP gets updated OTA, all the owner has to do is tap on the center screen. The other cars may never get updated after purchase, or if they do, the owner will have to take the car in to the dealership and pay through the nose, I'm sure.
All in all, great publicity for Tesla!

I think more dated than exactly wrong. Tech Package with Autopilot was what was originally offered, and I think the price is correct for it - at the time it included several things that are now either standard or part of other packages (premium package, especially.)

Since this is a February 2016 article and Tesla made that change several months ago, I'm both surprised and disappointed that C & D couldn't get more recent information.

The article was just published. Apparently C&D does not have fact checkers or editors who car about accuracy. The Tech Package option was discontinued many months ago,.
I think more dated than exactly wrong. Tech Package with Autopilot was what was originally offered, and I think the price is correct for it - at the time it included several things that are now either standard or part of other packages (premium package, especially.)

Since this is a February 2016 article and Tesla made that change several months ago, I'm both surprised and disappointed that C & D couldn't get more recent information.

Depends on how pedantic you want to be, LOL.
Here is a quote from the article: "Also to Tesla’s credit, this is the only car capable of hands-free lane changes. You simply use the turn signal the normal way and the Model S glides smoothly into the next lane after verifying that there’s space to do so safely. "
No pedantry necessary. The way that sentence is structured, it makes clear that the Model S does the "verifying". Basic grammar is all that is needed to understand the writer's meaning. But his meaning is factually inaccurate.

I can attest that Model S does check before lane changing. If there is a car in your blind spot it does not initiate the change and changes after the blind spots are cleared within a reasonable period of time. It also accelerates during the lane change if the car ahead of you in the lane you are getting into is going faster. That is it does not wait to complete the lane change and catch up to the speed of that lane, but instead accelerates during the lane change, exactly like a driver would do. I was stunned when I noticed these behaviors today.

You are right that the driver should still look for fast approaching cars from behind and so it doesn't take care of every possible conditions but it sure does the basic checks and reacts accordingly.

AP is god send for anyone with a long highway commute.

I also noticed during lane splits and lane merges it tends to follow the line that goes straight, which is the behavior I prefer. It does a great job centering on a lane and I have not noticed any right or left bias.

Of course I haven't driven in car pool lanes with barricades on either side and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a quote from the article: "Also to Tesla’s credit, this is the only car capable of hands-free lane changes. You simply use the turn signal the normal way and the Model S glides smoothly into the next lane after verifying that there’s space to do so safely. "
No pedantry necessary. The way that sentence is structured, it makes clear that the Model S does the "verifying". Basic grammar is all that is needed to understand the writer's meaning. But his meaning is factually inaccurate.

I'll have to disagree. The Model S is indeed verifying. The only thing remotely incorrect about that quote is "hands-free", in that hands are needed to initiate the lane change and complete it. The "verifying" sentence is actually 100% correct, since verifying means confirming/corroborating/substantiating, which is exactly what the ultrasonic sensors do--they substantiate/corroborate/confirm that there isn't a vehicle in the space adjacent to the car that would collide in a lane change situation.

I don't see them claiming that the driver need not look, which of course is prudent and necessary if a car were to be approaching in the passing lane at a high closure rate.

Todd, fair enough. But the fact remains that Tesla states that the driver needs to take responsibility and check visually before initiating an Auto Lane change. In addition, everyone who understands the current AP sensor suite (and I know you do) realizes that if a distant car is rapidly overtaking you in the lane you plan to change into can potentially hit you before the Tesla can react to it because there is no rear-facing radar and the ultrasonic sensors are limited to 16 ft.
My concern with the way the C&D article describes Auto Lane change is that many readers will believe that the driver does not have to do anything to change lanes except flick the turn signal stalk and the car will safely execute a lane change. That is not true.
I'll have to disagree. The Model S is indeed verifying. The only thing remotely incorrect about that quote is "hands-free", in that hands are needed to initiate the lane change and complete it. The "verifying" sentence is actually 100% correct, since verifying means confirming/corroborating/substantiating, which is exactly what the ultrasonic sensors do--they substantiate/corroborate/confirm that there isn't a vehicle in the space adjacent to the car that would collide in a lane change situation.

I don't see them claiming that the driver need not look, which of course is prudent and necessary if a car were to be approaching in the passing lane at a high closure rate.