Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigations locks up (even after reset) and what the fix is.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After Software version 7.2 was installed, my Navigation quit working. I tried resetting the main console, small console, powering the car off, trying again, etc. Nothing fixed it. Everything works on the console except the Navigation.

The Service Center had me try navigating by voice command, and typing in directions. Same results on every attempt - nothing. They pulled the logs, trying to find the cause, but were unsuccessful. Every attempt at navigating, the system would start to navigate, the circle stops within 1 second, and the console is completely un-responsive. You can't change the volume, climate, radio, anything! The console stays locked up for about 2 minutes, then it resets on its own. This was extremely frustrating. The only solution was to lose my awesome ride while it was diagnosed in the Service Center for a full day. Worst part? They sold all the Loaners, so I had to drive a Kia for 2 days!

I don't know how many hours they spent trying to find the cause, but I know it was over 4 hours from the text they sent me towards the end of the day "no diagnosis yet." I may be the first case of what the issue was, and there needs to be a solution in the software to fix it - so others don't have this problem in the future. What was the cause? The memory was full. I had 3 years of searched locations in the Navigation (thousands of places, I have 105,000 miles on my car,) and the memory had no more space! The only way they could clear it is to do a factory reset, or I had to delete thousands of locations I have searched for. Doing a factory reset means you lose ALL your settings (including driver profiles, home-links, chargers visited, etc.) so I said I would delete "Recents" in the Navigation.

This seems like a very easy problem to fix by either automatically deleting the oldest entries, having a button that says "Memory getting full, delete oldest Recents?" or add some serious memory. Tesla, PLEASE fix this in the next software version!

If anyone else has this problem, the solution is to start deleting every "RECENTS" in Navigation that isn't important. I deleted them all. Now it works again!

ClearRecents.jpg

Last edited:
The nav software has been getting progressively slower on our P85 - and by manually deleting the history older than 2015, the performance has improved again. It took a lot of screen presses to hit the 'delete' X - plus the system was pretty laggy when doing the deletes. But once it was done - performance is noticeably better for setting new destinations.

Do we really care about keeping all of those old destinations? Would seem better to just add a command or a setting to automatically delete the older history (keep the last year?).

There shouldn't be any reason at all why a stored list of previous locations would slow anything down. Seems like extraordinarily poor programming.

The only thing I can think of is that each previous location in the list is being searched when you're typing a new destination, so it can auto-complete a location you've previously used. They're probably doing a simple linear search, and probably have an upper bound defined for the array that holds these entries.

As has been already said, they need to either:

1) Auto-delete old entries past a certain point for both performance and preventing the array from getting full.
2) Use a more robust system for storing and searching, like a compact database.

Deleted a bunch and still no joy since the initial 7.1 update. Terribly laggy MCU, frequent IC restarts upon entering the vehicle, frequent Slacker failures with login requests (tapping Slacker accomplishes the login without having to enter credentials at least).

SvC answer after ostensibly checking with Engineering was to remove my USB sticks. NOT a solution. One SvC-applied firmware update (*.56) later, and no change.

This also delays activating the "lock" feature in sketchy areas. Not good.

Poor regression testing and poor/nonexistent resolution so far. Not good.

Funny, I was just noticing this as well. I drove my car to be dropped off at a shop. I wanted to delete my recent places. To my surprise the list went on and on. I kept deleting and realized it had still every place from the day I got the car. I guess from now on I will make it a point to keep this list cleaned up regularly.