Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing the Blaupunkt unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My roadster is a 2010 2.0 sig sport with the original Blaupunkt unit delivered in Switzerland.

The Blaupunkt developped a fault it can no more read CD. Not such a big problem, but the navigation does not work anymore.

At the beginning tesla did say, that you can not replace the original unit with an aftermarket type. Now tesla service tells me that I should go and buy any unit which fits the 1 DIN slot.
So, has anybody put an aftermarket 1 DIN unit in his/hers car?

My roadster is a 2010 2.0 sig sport with the original Blaupunkt unit delivered in Switzerland.

The Blaupunkt developped a fault it can no more read CD. Not such a big problem, but the navigation does not work anymore.

At the beginning tesla did say, that you can not replace the original unit with an aftermarket type. Now tesla service tells me that I should go and buy any unit which fits the 1 DIN slot.
So, has anybody put an aftermarket 1 DIN unit in his/hers car?

You can absolutely replace the unit, any 1 DIN unit will fit (of course) but you will have to get the wiring worked out, finding the proper wiring harness may be a challenge (without cutting/splicing). You could go with a JVC KD-NX5000, that is the stock unit in the "electronics package" roadster; Here is an example: JVC KD NX5000 DVD Navigation Receiver w iPod Adapter | eBay

Recently replaced an old Kenwood aftermarket unit in my 2008 with a Pioneer AVHX7700BT (single DIN with popup screen):
Amazon.com : Pioneer AVHX7700BT 7-Inch FLIPOUT/BT/DVD/USB/AUX/NAV R : Car Electronics

Popup screen just barely clears the wiper control arm, but it does. Has an option to partially retract so that it's not blocking the AC vents while driving. I believe this is the correct harness adapter for a 2008: Amazon.com: Absolute USA H1004/9002 Radio Wiring Harness for Volkswagen 1987-2002 Power 4 Speaker (70-1787, VWH-1004): Car Electronics Unfortunately the stereo shop that did the work for the prior owner just cut my harness :(

I have this Pioneer unit in two other cars, and I guess I will put it in the roadster!

Amazon seems to think this is a double-DIN unit. That because of the (external) screen?

Also, there's not much of a description... How do you like it? Is the screen a touch device, or do you need to play with the buttons like the JVC?

Amazon seems to think this is a double-DIN unit. That because of the (external) screen?

Also, there's not much of a description... How do you like it? Is the screen a touch device, or do you need to play with the buttons like the JVC?

Have only had a little time to play with it, but I generally like it. Definitely single-DIN with flip up screen. There are a few flip down screen units out there which would have been much better for the A/C, but nothing very current and no big names. I'd say the clearance to the wiper arm is about 1/8"

Bluetooth works well. Not thrilled with AppRadio nor with MirrorLink. Haven't seen any single-DIN/flip up units that support Android Auto yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Also note that I had to adjust the flip up screen on the Pioneer AVHX7700BT to angle down just a bit to clear the surrounding bit of the dash. E.g. the top of the screen leans in toward you just a bit vs. being perfectly vertical. I actually like this because it seems to reduce the glare. I forgot to mention that it is indeed a touch screen and the interface is nicer than the two touchscreen Kenwoods that I've owned.

Here's a few pics of the Pioneer AVHX7700BT. In the first pic, the screen was moving. Photo really doesn't do the close tolerance justice. Also, please ignore that my OVMS fell down in the background.
20160217_172148.jpg
20160217_172221.jpg