Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the great video. The funny thing I find is the icons of vehicles in the other lanes ahead of the car. They don't provide any value to me at all. I know that they are there because I can see them. I must be missing something or it might just be a cool trick. I would love for it to show the vehicles on my sides and behind. I expect we need more cameras for that.

Thanks for the great video. The funny thing I find is the icons of vehicles in the other lanes ahead of the car. They don't provide any value to me at all. I know that they are there because I can see them. I must be missing something or it might just be a cool trick. I would love for it to show the vehicles on my sides and behind. I expect we need more cameras for that.

Thank you. Yeah, I agree... I thought it was funny when a vehicle was passing me I wouldn't see the icon displayed until they were like at a 45 degree angle ahead of me. You do see the other sensors showing that "radar sonar" look, indicating something is near, but those kind of get ignored.

The display is telling you what the car can see - what the car is making decisions based on. I think the point of that is to compare the car's version with what you see, and be prepared to take action if you see a discrepancy.

The current version of autopilot can't see cars in any other direction beyond twelve feet, and AFAIK doesn't try to distinguish between cars and other obstacles on ultrasound.

The purpose of those dash representations aren't to tell you "hey, there's a motorcycle there!". Their purpose is to tell you "hey, Model S *sees* a motorcycle there!"

Absolutely. I totally get that and it is neat. But it really does not provide value to me. When they add more cameras so that it can tell me who is around me where I may not be able to see, it will move to ultra cool. It won't be long.

The purpose of those dash representations aren't to tell you "hey, there's a motorcycle there!". Their purpose is to tell you "hey, Model S *sees* a motorcycle there!"