Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

service ranger fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to vent. Today I got a call from my service ranger about a new policy that there will be a $3/ mile charge for any service done out on the field. The closest service center to my house ( panhandle FL) is New Orleans >250miles. He quoted me it will be $798 dollars just on ranger fee alone to fix the TPM warranty item. To date, the ranger service had been free of charge and I had been a grateful and a very satisfied owner. I recall on the Tesla website before pulling the trigger 3 years ago, that if ranger service was needed to repair your car out on the field (service center not accessible) , it would cost $100 flat fee no matter how far the distance. I am VERY, VERY disappointed with this "new" policy. How can Tesla expect you to cover that kind of service fee? I will be more than happy to pay $100 as it described but no way will I pay $800. I have put a call in to Tesla service line in CA- not much they can do now but will "have the regional manager contact you" It really gives me different outlook all together regarding Tesla and their concern for the owners with this new policy. I have very much enjoyed the car since delivery March 2013 of my P85 and the service they have provided me UNTIL now; I feel like they just pulled a rug under my feet. I will have to tell all my colleagues and friends that may be interested in Tesla to think twice now. I have always enjoyed telling others how awesome the car had been and its exceptional service that I have been getting. NOT ANYMORE!!! Only thing I'm thinking now is - I'm going have to sell my car!! My brother in law in Tx is about to order his model X 90D. Need to warn him about this new policy. Any one else in a similar situation? Thanks for listening.

I have to vent. Today I got a call from my service ranger about a new policy that there will be a $3/ mile charge for any service done out on the field. The closest service center to my house ( panhandle FL) is New Orleans >250miles. He quoted me it will be $798 dollars just on ranger fee alone to fix the TPM warranty item. To date, the ranger service had been free of charge and I had been a grateful and a very satisfied owner. I recall on the Tesla website before pulling the trigger 3 years ago, that if ranger service was needed to repair your car out on the field (service center not accessible) , it would cost $100 flat fee no matter how far the distance. I am VERY, VERY disappointed with this "new" policy. How can Tesla expect you to cover that kind of service fee? I will be more than happy to pay $100 as it described but no way will I pay $800. I have put a call in to Tesla service line in CA- not much they can do now but will "have the regional manager contact you" It really gives me different outlook all together regarding Tesla and their concern for the owners with this new policy. I have very much enjoyed the car since delivery March 2013 of my P85 and the service they have provided me UNTIL now; I feel like they just pulled a rug under my feet. I will have to tell all my colleagues and friends that may be interested in Tesla to think twice now. I have always enjoyed telling others how awesome the car had been and its exceptional service that I have been getting. NOT ANYMORE!!! Only thing I'm thinking now is - I'm going have to sell my car!! My brother in law in Tx is about to order his model X 90D. Need to warn him about this new policy. Any one else in a similar situation? Thanks for listening.

Tesla's policies and how they are (or are not) adhered to between Tesla Service Centers (and even within personnel of a given Service Center) is a huge issue. If you have a printout of the page showing that $100 flat fee, and there is no disclaimer that the policy is "subject to change at Tesla's sole discretion," you probably could recover your charges after the fact in Small Claims Court. Or, if paid by credit card, provide a printout of the webpage and let them charge back the amount you paid over $100.

Between stories like this (and these seem to be happening more frequently and to many formerly happy owners) and the meltdown of Tesla in the financial markets, I'm not feelin' the love today, Elon!

If it wasn't in a sales contract or printed in your owners documentation but only on the website and without a "forever guarantee", then this was bound to happen and you shouldn't have expected it indefinitely. It has been discussed dozens of time here all starting just like this thread.

Of course there were those that were promised virtually that it would always be available for free but it's going to be really hard to prove it.

Tesla's policies and how they are (or are not) adhered to between Tesla Service Centers (and even within personnel of a given Service Center) is a huge issue. If you have a printout of the page showing that $100 flat fee, and there is no disclaimer that the policy is "subject to change at Tesla's sole discretion," you probably could recover your charges after the fact in Small Claims Court. Or, if paid by credit card, provide a printout of the webpage and let them charge back the amount you paid over $100.

Between stories like this (and these seem to be happening more frequently and to many formerly happy owners) and the meltdown of Tesla in the financial markets, I'm not feelin' the love today, Elon!
Something bad is going on at Tesla. The are becoming very hostile to a lot of existing owners. I have a feeling this isn't going to end well.

I am not happy. That service was a major part of my decision to buy. I've voiced my disappointment to them. Hopefully, if we can get others to voice there's, we might get some traction.

It's bait and switch, IMO. It probably is legal. But it is bad CS and will hurt them, and us.