Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Input request: Aftermarket sound system upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for an aftermarket upgrade of the sound system, and as I'm not in the US I can't just go buy " a complete package from someone who knows what they are doing"...

Hence this post...

Short recap:
1) Bought a (new) S85 that was delivered March 2014. All the bells and whistles (literally: every option, including the upgraded HI-FI!).
2) Happy camper until AP + 4x4 was revealed..
3) December 2015: Sold my S85 and bought a demo 70D from Tesla (1800KM)... Demo car had every option EXCEPT air suspension, third seat-row, and HI-FI...
4) Very happy with coil suspension, but standard audio sucks major ass (sorry about the language...)
5) Asked Tesla if they will do aftermarket HI-FI-upgrade (they said no) and aftermarket third-row seat install (they said yes!)... Got the installation notes of the third-row seats if anyone are interested btw...

I then contacted the service centre manager and asked if an upgraded hi-fi-package would void the warranty, and he told me "no; as long as you use proper equipment and the installation is done professionally)....

The next step was to contact the only car-audio-shop that does Teslas in Norway (they have only done 2x), and inquired about a quote for an upgrade... They told me that they were unable to find a subwoofer that fit in the rear wheel well, but if I supplied one myself they could install it... I ordered the NVX B.O.O.S.T (currently enroute), and they suggested the following equipment to replace my current setup (in addition to the NVX SUB):
- Alpine SPR70CM 17cm speakers (front only) (310 USD)
- Rockford Fosgate 4x75 (400 USD)
- Cabling/soundproofing (150 USD)
- 12H Installation (1200 USD)

Total 1.730 USD (after 250 USD rebate)... The NVX is an additional 1200-ish USD, so my total price racks up to approximately 2.500 USD...

Quite expensive, but hopefully it's worth the high price...

Link to the NVX BOOST: http://www.nvx.com/tesla-model-s-boost-loaded-enclosure-package/

My questions:

- Should I also get the speakers in the rear doors upgraded (if I remember correctly the original speakers are 2 ohms while the ones installed in the front will be 4 ohms)? Don't know if the ohm-thing should make me upgrade the rear ones just based on this, but won't these "cardboard speakers" distort at a lower volume setting making the whole audio-install more vulnerable to distortion/bad sound? Also, I have bought a enough "sound suppressing mats" for the back-doors as well... Should I just get it all done at once, and get the speakers and dampening mats for my back-doors as well? (Additional 1K USD - 3500.- Total(!)).... (http://www.dynabel.no/bilstereo/tilbehor/dempematter/gladen-aero-multi-29-m2)

- Where should the power be drawn from? I think the installers have drawn power directly from the fuse-box/12v battery on their earlier installations, but should they instead use the "spare 12v power circuit"...? Or isn't this circuit powerful enough to power the extra amps?

(power circuit as described on the change list on this site):

2014InteriorAll Model S vehicles built after approximately July 11, 2014 are equipped with a spare 12V power circuit. The purpose of this power circuit is to provide a switched power source, reducing the risk of vehicle damage due to improperly installed third-party equipment. To access the spare 12V power circuit, remove the RH center console closeout extension. The spare 12V positive circuit is the red wire with a white stripe on the gray 4-pin connector with 3 wires. NOTE: The spare 12V circuit shares the same black ground as the center console auxiliary outlet. The spare 12V power circuit is tied to the accessory (ACC) rail and is capable of up to 11 A (150 W) of continuous load, 15 A (180 W) peak load. The spare 12V power circuit is protected by fuse F33 in fuse box 2. Remove the rear underhood center apron to access fuse box 2.

I've also read that the fuse for the original subwoofer-AMP is included (but not used) in cars without the HI-FI-system, and that this should be utilized for the NVX-Boost...?

I've read "all" the posts about aftermarket upgrade in this, and all other forums I can find, but I can't really find good, consistent information...But to no avail... Hope someone can help me out with these specific questions; or general input for that matter :)

Best regards from Norway!
thnp

• Funny
Reactions: Dan60D
When I purchased my 85D I purposefully didn't order the HiFi option knowing I was going to have a Reus Audio system installed. I would get in contact with them (Cliff) and see if they will sell the components to a reputable installer in your area. If that works out you WON'T be disappointed!!!
Reus Audio contact info
Cliff Johnson
General Manager
Reus Systems
1036 W Collins Ave
Orange, CA 92867-5558
714-633-6636 office
[email protected]
www.reusaudio.com

As another datapoint, I started with Level 2, ascended to Level 2.5, and then to Level 3. This was on top of the base audio package.

When I have Reus transfer the system to the next Tesla (they offer transferring as part of their service (any Level) for the cost of labor), it will be on top of the upgraded audio package. There's a little more there there with the upgraded speaker arrangement that I noticed recently while in a loaner.

It would be interesting if there was enough interest in Norway for a group buy/install of Reus gear. Maybe Cliff would consider the trip if the importation of the requisite gear for customers was logistically reasonable.

A very kindly Scotsman inquired of me whilst I was parked on the Esplanade, "Where are all the Teslas?" Visiting from Norway, he told me that the city of Bergen alone, I think it was, must have 500+ Teslas - and that was almost a year ago. Keep in mind that I was parked in coastal LA County, which has more than a few Teslas itsownself.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I would certainly go for the Reus-system if I were located in the US, but now it is not an option (the Norwegian currency has collapsed the past 1/2 year and everything imported from the US is now extremely expensive... Also; I can just really afford the system I'm getting now, and as the installation cost is more than 50% of the system already, getting even better components will make it all too expensive ...

Bonus question: Should I tell the audio-guys to pull power from the 12v battery for the NVX, and from the fuse-box to the 4x75w amp? Or should they pull power for both subs directly from the 12v battery? :)

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I would certainly go for the Reus-system if I were located in the US, but now it is not an option (the Norwegian currency has collapsed the past 1/2 year and everything imported from the US is now extremely expensive... Also; I can just really afford the system I'm getting now, and as the installation cost is more than 50% of the system already, getting even better components will make it all too expensive ...

Bonus question: Should I tell the audio-guys to pull power from the 12v battery for the NVX, and from the fuse-box to the 4x75w amp? Or should they pull power for both subs directly from the 12v battery? :)

Hi, I don't know if you have gone forward with these components installed. If not, you may consider the upgrade from Light Harmonic for Tesla Standard Audio. It is a set of 4 incredibly efficient 1.1Ohm door speakers which install in about 2 hours work. No cutting, just replacement. And there is no messing with Tesla's electrical system! With additional damping material inside the doors sound levels increase by another 3dB. My company rainbowroad.eu is the European distributor for Liight Harmonic and I can send you a special introduction price per PM if you would like.

Hi, I don't know if you have gone forward with these components installed. If not, you may consider the upgrade from Light Harmonic for Tesla Standard Audio. It is a set of 4 incredibly efficient 1.1Ohm door speakers which install in about 2 hours work. No cutting, just replacement. And there is no messing with Tesla's electrical system! With additional damping material inside the doors sound levels increase by another 3dB. My company rainbowroad.eu is the European distributor for Liight Harmonic and I can send you a special introduction price per PM if you would like.

Can you send me a offer for light harmonics for Tesla Model S with Standart Audio,
Thanks
Johann