Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 outlet - will it work if the voltage is 208V instead of 240V?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 14-50 outlet at home I use for my car. My boss is installing one here at the office, but the electrical service here is different than I have at home. Something to do with at home I have single phase, vs here at work we have 3-ph, so the voltage is going to be 208V and not the higher 220 or 240 (can't remember, I'll measure when I get home) I have at home.

Will the Tesla care? I assume it will still limit itself to 40a, with my single charger, so it will just charge more slowly at the lower voltage?

That won't be a problem. You'll just charge about 20% slower then on a normal 240v 14-50. Most public J1772 stations are 208v, so the cars have be compatible.

Almost correct. 208 Volts is actually 13.3% lower than 240 Volts, and on 208 Volts, the Tesla will charge 13% slower than on 240 Volts for the same current.

Many commercial locations have 208/120 Volt 3-phase service, as well as many RV parks. Teslas will charge just fine, but a little slower, on 208 Volts.

You have a great boss, BTW, if she is willing to install EV charging outlets in the workplace!

Almost correct. 208 Volts is actually 13.3% lower than 240 Volts, and on 208 Volts, the Tesla will charge 13% slower than on 240 Volts for the same current.

Many commercial locations have 208/120 Volt 3-phase service, as well as many RV parks. Teslas will charge just fine, but a little slower, on 208 Volts.

You have a great boss, BTW, if she is willing to install EV charging outlets in the workplace!

Yes, he's awesome - not only to install the outlet (although I am paying for it) but to pay me enough that I can own a Tesla!