Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential: Supercharger Safety and Availability Idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone wants a Tesla app that can tell us SC availability. The peril with doing that is the data probably can't express if there are cars already waiting or how long a driver intends to keep his charger in the stall whether charging or finishing his lunch. I can't think of any way that can be overcome because driver provided data is incomplete.

Another issue about SCs is security. As usage of SCs becomes even greater especially at night the potential for crime increases. I have been at SCs in the wee hours of the morning and it can be a little intimidating.

Why not put security cameras with a narrow view of the stalls and another with a wider view at each location. Make the video feeds available via the app showing real time stall usage and then the broader view of the area showing if there are other cars waiting to get into a stall. On top of that it would be easy to capture information about SC abuse (using license plate recognition) and being able to analyze issues like the fire in Norway. Security cameras with internet accessibility would be inexpensive, solve a lot of problems and mitigate Tesla's liability should something bad happen. All that would have to be done within the app is to add the link of the video feeds of the two cameras. Simple and would solve two big problems.

Tesla has a lot of information that could be used to provide a very useful supercharger app.

For every Tesla on the road, they should be able to get the current location, charge level, direction being travelled and even the navigation destination.

They should know how many cars at currently at a supercharger, and could even predict how many are likely to be arriving at the supercharger soon.

Plus, if everyone is using the trip planner, they should be able to estimate how much charge each car will need - and how long that will take.

While they may not have any way to predict which specific charging station - and which specific cars will be using each station, they should be able to provide some reasonable projections of current and near future activity at each supercharger - and be able to provide a warning to drivers of potential delays at superchargers.

Even though I've only had a few problems with getting access to a supercharger over the last 3 years, I'll admit that I still have "supercharger anxiety" on each trip - and won't relax until I can see the supercharger and verify that charging stations are available for me to use - and that they are working. And having better status information on current and projected supercharger status would be extremely useful.