Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overnight Test Drive Option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Got this email from Tesla, not sure what they mean by overnight test drive?

1.png

2.png

I have heard of overnight test drives for exotic cars. They must only extend that offer to well-qualified buyers.
I got this on my old email that was simply subscribed to the Model S newsletter. My Model X and power wall order is on a completely different email.

So does this mean they will give me an S for a night and I return it the next day?

Yes, you can pick up the car one day, and bring it back the next. So you get to "live with it" and experience charging it at home overnight.

It's a great idea. It's not available everywhere or to everyone though - of course they look for qualified buyers, but they also have to have a car sitting around unused. So many stores can't offer this. (I mention that because sometimes people in other places feel slighted when they aren't given the same offer - they assume Tesla feels they aren't qualified buyers, but that is not necessarily the case).

I have heard of overnight test drives for exotic cars. They must only extend that offer to well-qualified buyers.
I took my first test drive of a Model S back in July. During discussion with my Advisor I mentioned my concern over the size of the MS and my worry how easily it would fit into my tiny garage. He immediately offered me an overnight test drive, to take the car home and check the fit firsthand. I wasn't ready to make a purchase decision for other reasons, until about 3 months later when I finally took up his offer. They let me take a demo vehicle from late afternoon to the next morning - basically the hours when the Tesla store was closed and they didn't otherwise need the car. It was very useful to not only check the garage fit, but also drive along some of my typical routes and try out both home and public charging.

Other than seeing I was very interested in the car, at no point from my initial store visit to my eventual purchase did they inquire that I was somehow a "qualified" buyer. I think it's just up to the Advisor and car availability to decide to offer such an extended test drive.

I took a 70D on a short test drive and asked about the possibility of a longer overnight test drive since I had "range anxiety" and wanted to make sure it was comfortable for my wife and I and our three children. This was Tesla Gatwick in the UK. The manager said that it was possible as long as the numbers worked for me in terms of buying a car. They sent some quotes and I said "Yes they work for me!" That was the only qualification as far as I am aware. They gave me a 70D for a weekend (actually picked up Friday evening, and dropped back Monday morning) so had a great opportunity to test with the family for a trip to Norfolk. There are not any Superchargers in north Norfolk so they also lent me a ChaDeMo cable (which we did need) as well as a card registered on the charger network.

Bottom line I ordered a 90D which I am now driving, so I guess their sales approach worked :)

As an aside Porsche had also given me a weekend test drive for a Cayenne Hybrid a few weeks before. A short time before that I also had a new Mazda MX-5 for a full day where they provided a hamper and goody bag and the sat nav was loaded with interesting routes to drive around the coast (I was definitely thinking differently about types of car purchases then though!).

I think if you are a serious buyer then many dealers are now keeping stock for longer test drives, and it's worth asking; I guess that it is seen as a strong part of the sales cycle for them. I don't think I would buy a new car now without taking an extended test drive because you get a much better feel for everything.

I took my first test drive of a Model S back in July. During discussion with my Advisor I mentioned my concern over the size of the MS and my worry how easily it would fit into my tiny garage. He immediately offered me an overnight test drive, to take the car home and check the fit firsthand. I wasn't ready to make a purchase decision for other reasons, until about 3 months later when I finally took up his offer. They let me take a demo vehicle from late afternoon to the next morning - basically the hours when the Tesla store was closed and they didn't otherwise need the car. It was very useful to not only check the garage fit, but also drive along some of my typical routes and try out both home and public charging.

Other than seeing I was very interested in the car, at no point from my initial store visit to my eventual purchase did they inquire that I was somehow a "qualified" buyer. I think it's just up to the Advisor and car availability to decide to offer such an extended test drive.

What qualifications did you need? Did you have to sign anything?

Same as the others here, no qualification took place for an extended test drive. I went in for two regular test drives, one without and one with the wife. After talking to the advisor I wanted to have some extended first hand experience of autopilot and also check things like garage fit, range anxiety (get a feel for how accurate the nav is with my lead foot), etc. Asked, and they offered a car over a holiday for two days. Nothing other than signing a damage report on it before taking it out was required.

And, now I *should* be taking delivery of my P85+ CPO next Thursday, so, it paid off for Tesla. :)

The salesperson at my local Tesla store mentioned an overnight test drive when it was clear I was serious about buying. We went on a test drive and when we came back I put down my deposit. A few days later I set up an overnight test drive even though I'm sure it wasn't intended for those who had already put down a deposit. I was just so eager to drive a Tesla again :)

Now while I'm waiting for my Model S to arrive I remember that amazing night and the joy of seeing a Tesla in my garage in the morning.

I had an extended test drive overnight when I mentioned I wanted to see how it would work on my commute. The main issue was scheduling, their cars are in constant demo. Otherwise, no qualification, no worries, easiest and best test drive experience I've ever done.

Again one of those things that probably depends on the Tesla center you're dealing with but I got to test drive over a whole weekend because they had several loaners. All they asked for was my DL and not even proof of insurance. I did have to sign a waiver and one of the stipulations was to not drive over 80... Yeah right! :tongue: I did not have to prequalify financially to do the test drive and it was one of the easiest test drives I've ever had. That test drive sold me completely on the car so yes, overnight test drives are worth it for them and us.

jusr call Tesla to arrange a test drive and when you're assigned someone ask them about an overnight test drive.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you have to sign anything?
Yes you do and it's a pretty standard waiver. There wasn't anything on there that I remembered being very onerous.

there was some kind of standard waiver to sign and they asked for my D/L before the test drive, but there wasn't any kind of financial qualification check at all. Perhaps it was clear from my questions and general knowledge of the car I was seriously interested in it. I did not end up placing a deposit down until weeks after my 2nd (ie overnight) test drive. One other thing to mention - the standard test drive at the store is very short - I've heard other people had same experience. so it's worthwhile getting some kind of extended/overnight test drive. Do it if you're offered the chance.

I took the car for a 3 day test drive a few months ago. Unfortunately the first evening less than a mile away from my house a deer ran into the front of the car and that ended my test drive! Tesla was great about everything and I did end up getting a car. When you take the car for any test drive they might you "sign" (click) approval of their terms. Nothing was crazy.

Received similar email.

Picked up car after 4:30pm, returned by 9am next day.

They took a copy of drivers license and insurance. I signed something that said I would be responsible for any damage (including a frunk crease warning - don't drop frunk)

Drove, tested charging (nearby whole foods, 120v at home), etc.

Sadly, it really didn't fit in my garage. So, I now await the 3 announcement to decide how to proceed.

We will be interested in doing this in the late spring, early summer as we approach the end of our Focus Electric lease. I hope that I have an easy of an experience getting a Model S for an extended test drive as many here have commented. We'd prefer to do a weekend test drive since we usually drive only about 40 miles combined Monday-Thursday and then drive 150-200 on Friday-Sunday. Hopefully they would let us take the car Thursday night & bring it back Monday.

We will be interested in doing this in the late spring, early summer as we approach the end of our Focus Electric lease. I hope that I have an easy of an experience getting a Model S for an extended test drive as many here have commented. We'd prefer to do a weekend test drive since we usually drive only about 40 miles combined Monday-Thursday and then drive 150-200 on Friday-Sunday. Hopefully they would let us take the car Thursday night & bring it back Monday.

From my conversations, extended was "outside the scope of the overnight test drive".