Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor Summon Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been using summon regularly for 4 weeks or so, pretty much using it exclusively to park in the garage and pull out in the morning. My garage is a bit narrow so I really like summon since it makes sure I don't bump the doors. Just parked the car 10 minutes ago and it failed to stop upon entering my garage. It was an unusual summon in general. The car pulled up to the garage and opened the door as usual. There was a long delay before the car started to pull into the garage, in fact I thought the summon aborted but then after about a 10 second pause the car started to pull into the garage. That was a little more steering wheel action than normal. Then the car stopped about a foot shorter than usual. Then 3-4 second after it stops the car started forward again and ran into my big rolling mechanic tool box at the very end of the garage. It has always stopped about a foot short of that spot every other time I have used summon. Fortunately there does not appear to be any damage - although the license plate that used to be vertical does seem to be leaning back a little towards the nose cone. I guess I may have to be ready to abort the summon in the future. All of this was done with the FOB. In general I don't use the app.

Last edited:
Oh geez. Another one?
If I've kept up enough with all these threads, side-bars and sometimes off-track comments in many of them, that makes 3 Summon "crashes" reported on TMC to-date. I guess I try to keep a perspective that generally only well-meaning enthusiasts, or newbies that have an axe to grind or want to create some sort of social media frenzy end up really posting on forums like TMC. Many more owners and people read only. I'm not dissing the OP, you, or any of us -- just saying, posts here of issues are likely a minority of the true total of owner experiences, and are not a representative population we can draw conclusions from.

I'm sorry the OP had a problem. I hope as has been suggested the OP has formally reported this to Tesla, and that the OP, like all Tesla Owners, pay attention and stay ready 100% of the time to take over with all BETA implementations Tesla is providing. If not, well... I'll let you-all fill in the blank what we've seen occur, or could happen because owners become complacent treating works-in-progress as something absolutely bullet-proof which Beta code never is...

I don't have a direct email to tech support (not sure [email protected] is appropriate as it seems like it is more for folks needing assistance) but if someone has one I'd be happy to email them. Before I posted here I posted this through the "contact us" section of teslamotors.com. No axe to grind here just sharing unusual experiences hoping to help others. Staying ready 100% of the time up till the very end is the important, even when the car is not moving. My car had stopped in the position in normally stops and I started to put my FOB back in the case before I heard the sound of the car shifting to park and the brakes engaging - at least I assume that is the sound I'm hearing. If I had kept my thumb of the roof of the FOB until hearing that sound I would have been able to stop the car the instant I noticed it resume moving. I suspect it just an interesting co-incidence but summon aborted on the way out of my garage this morning. Backed up, opened the garage door, and aborted.

Last edited:
I don't have a direct email to tech support but if someone has one I'd be happy to email them. Before I posted here I posted this through the "contact us" section of teslamotors.com. No axe to grind here just sharing unusual experiences hoping to help others. Staying ready 100% of the time up till the very end is the important, even when the car is not moving. My car had stopped in the position in normally stops and I started to put my FOB back in the case before I heard the sound of the car shifting to park and the brakes engaging - at least I assume that is the sound I'm hearing. If I had kept my thumb of the roof of the FOB until hearing that sound I would have been able to stop the car the instant I noticed it resume moving. I suspect it just an interesting co-incidence but summon aborted on the way out of my garage this morning. Backed up, opened the garage door, and aborted.

[email protected] is the direct email, although IIRC that Contact web form should get to the same place. My experience has been they generally respond within 24 hours.

Thanks for posting your encounter here. I know others like myself appreciate the heads-up, and I'm just glad there wasn't any damage somewhere. Also ensuring everyone reports problems directly to Tesla is the only way we have to make them aware of growing numbers of problems needing resolution, so I for one appreciate your doing that for all of us. You've definitely got something odd going on. Be sure you're following the other Summon threads around TMC -- various problems & scenarios, some with solutions, yet others with definite anomalies needing correction.

I received an email today -

"[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors Technical Support. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. I have created a concern for your issue with Summon and sent it to the Boston-Watertown Service Center. A member from the Service Center should be in contact with you shortly."[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]I have not spoken to them yet but I'll update the thread when I have.

[/FONT]

I saw this article today about a quick update to Summon to stop the car if the fob is dropped or finger is removed from the phone.

Tesla to Update Self-Parking Feature Due to Safety Concern » AutoGuide.com News

I would also suggest adding if the car gets out of FOB reach. I was at someones house the other day and the person I parked behind needed to leave. I used the Summon feature to back it up so they could get out, but had to move a bit closer to stop the Summon when it had moved far enough. The FOB seemed to be out of range to stop the Summon. It happened fast, and I was able to stop it quickly, but it scared me for a split second.

The direction is to have the summon feature work only with a smartphone in the future, where you have to hold your finger on a control on the phone for the car to move (at act as a "dead mans switch." The fob operation on this is supposedly to be disabled in future updates.