Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAE Vehicle Electrification Magazine features the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I prefer to download the PDF to my iPad, and open it in iBooks. This works great. The pages turn much faster than viewing it on line, and I don't need an Internet connection to read it. If you do view on-line instead, the videos work great on the iPad.

GSP

Notes

The the child seats are "side facing"

Rear area has 30 cubic feet of capacity.

.28 CdA

Tesla bought these:
Audi A8
Porsche Panamera
Mercedes S 550
BMW525

Body is like the Audi

Engineers said that an all-wheel-drive powertrain is being investigated

Suspension:
rear has multilink Air assisted rear springs
front lower control arms

Steering is electrically assisted rack and pinon

Last edited:
...The the child seats are "side facing"...

?! Do any cars do this ?!
I thought that was not permitted in California.

California Child Seats - SafeMotorist.com

CHP - Child Seats

...Child safety restraints must never be placed on side-facing vehicle seats. ..

UK:
Fitting and using a child's car seat in your vehicle : Directgov - Parents
...Child car seats must not be used in side-facing seats. For this reason, a child who needs to use a child's seat can't travel in a sideways-facing seat. This is because seat belts in side-facing seats don't protect passengers in a crash and can cause serious injuries...

Seat belts - Regulations and guidelines for camper vans and motorhomes | Campervan Life
...It is highly advised to never let passengers travel in side facing seats, as the effects of whiplash and other impact related injuries are very severe from the side...

Last edited:
?! Do any cars do this ?!
I thought that was not permitted in California.

California Child Seats - SafeMotorist.com

The definition of "child" is the source of the confusion. Per the bulletin: Effective January 1, 2005, California Law will require children to ride in the back seat in a properly secured child passenger safety restraint until they are at least 6 years old or weigh 60 pounds.

As I read it, the restriction applies to a child under 6 years of age or under 60 pounds. A passenger over the age/weight restriction would be able to use the rear side facing seats. Practically speaking that leaves the age group between 6-10 able to use these seats. Older than ten and I think a passenger may be to tall to use the rear facing seats comfortable.

Last edited:
I'm sure they're still rear-facing. There's lots of little bits of misinformation in this piece...

Not so sure:
Tesla Model S Electric Sedan Breaks Cover - NYTimes.com
...“It has side-facing seats in the rear, like some station wagons once had,” Mr. von Holzhausen said...

Perhaps we need a whole topic just about side-facing seats. From what I can see, there is a sentiment that side facing seats are less safe than forward facing, regardless if you were thinking of putting a child booster seat in them.

Not so sure:

Perhaps we need a whole topic just about side-facing seats. From what I can see, there is a sentiment that side facing seats are less safe than forward facing, regardless if you were thinking of putting a child booster seat in them.

that article was from 2009 and the current FAQ from Tesla's site (Model S | Frequently Asked Questions | Tesla Motors) states

How does Model S seat seven people?
Model S seats five adults and two children. Model S features two front seats, a rear bench seat for three adults, and optional rear facing jump seats designed for two children. The jump seats will be similar to those available in some station wagons..

Not so sure:

Yes but the NY times article is 2.5 years old! I think we would have heard more about side facing if that were going to occur. The body stampings show depressions for rear facing seats which are much more current.

Yes but the NY times article is 2.5 years old! I think we would have heard more about side facing if that were going to occur. The body stampings show depressions for rear facing seats which are much more current.

Yea, watch part 2 of the Alpha walk-through. Rawlinson clearly says that children will be rear-facing and even points out where they will sit.

Tesla Vehicle Engineering | Blog | Tesla Motors
(Jump to 2:50 to see it.)

Suspension:
front lower control arms
According to MacPherson strut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , it's not a very good design... :confused:

Details of the front suspension :
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2449
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2450

EDIT: Seems like it's not that simple, I found other articles with different conclusions (very interesting, read them !):
Double Wishbone vs. MacPherson Strut I:The Basics - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
Double Wishbone vs. MacPherson Strut II: Compared - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

To summarize, on the lower control arm suspension (Tesla Model S front suspension) compared to a double wishbone suspension:

Wikipedia
+ inexpensive
- harsh quality of right
- lower handling

Team-integra forum
+ inexpensive
+ better quality of ride (less vibration)
+ lesser weight => better acceleration
- lower handling

Anyway, I'm sure they have good reasons to put lower control arm suspension in the front. It would be nice to know them :smile:

Last edited:
As I recall, even Porsche uses McPherson struts. For modern cars, the detailed design and tuning is more important than a double wishbone layout. Tesla has some great engineers. Their suspension design will likely be competitive.

Even more important, for both ride and handling, is body stiffness. According to the SAE article cited, the Model S body in white has a 42Hz torsional frequency. This has to be some kind of record, most automakers are very proud when they get 25-26 Hz. This is a very stiff body. On top of that, the center of gravity will be very low, probably another record. Even the curb weight is only 3800 lb. about the same as a Chevy Malibu. Very impressive for a 160-300 mile EV!

The Model S will handle like no other car, and it will be a joy to drive.

GSP

Last edited: