Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attn Tesla! Preorders for those who already own or have on order!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be great for tesla to give the 1st preorders options to current owners or people with X orders. Maybe give us a 1 hour window, then open to public.

That would be very elitist.

The Model 3 is supposed to be a mass market car, and to alleviate any elitism, there is no way they're going to let current owners be the first to reserve one.

They should do the opposite: in the first 48 hours no existing owners can place orders!!!
Existing Teslanians don't need to be inducted in the clan, but new fresh members are required to further the cause!

No, I don't like this :p

I can't remember who, someone suggested that Tesla employees (factory employees) will have first dibs, and someone else confirmed from a birdie that it's true (who knows?). This would make more sense to reward the employees who can't afford an S or an X to get first dibs at the 3.

Definitely should be first come, first served. Allowing current owners to preorder first is, like Max says, very elitist. It also just allows them to take advantage of the 7,500 federal tax credit, rather than those who really need the price cuts get theirs (probably after the tax credit limit). Completely counter-productive to the overall goal of Tesla.

There was another thread that was discussing the same thing (that almost never happens here :rolleyes: )
Like Max said, I really like the "Builder" edition instead of Founder or Signature, where the Tesla factory folks get first shot.
At least that will make sure that there is a direct connection for initial quality issues etc.

It would be great for tesla to give the 1st preorders options to current owners or people with X orders. Maybe give us a 1 hour window, then open to public.
That's totally sending the wrong message. It's basically allowing those who can afford an X to buy their way to a better place in line for the 3. That would really infuriate those who can't afford an S or an X and are waiting to have an *equal* shot at getting a Tesla they can afford.

I can't remember who, someone suggested that Tesla employees (factory employees) will have first dibs, and someone else confirmed from a birdie that it's true (who knows?).
I believe that was @bonnie who brought up a Builder Series for employees to get first crack at that car they help design and build. But there's no way anybody can confirm or dispute anything until formal announcement is made next month, and possibly not even then.

For now, I'd say take anything you hear about the Model 3 with a grain of salt and a pinch of wishful thinking. Unless, of course, it came directly from Elon Musk, JB Straubel, or Franz von Holzhausen.

Last edited:
I believe that was @bonnie who brought up a Builder Series for employees to get first crack at that car they help design and build. But there's no way anybody can confirm or dispute anything until formal announcement is made next month, and possibly not even then.

You're right, she did bring it up. You're wrong on the bolded, this is the other quote I was thinking about:

I have a colleague who started at Tesla a few months back and he was promised by their recruiter that employees would get first dibs on the Model 3 when reservations were opened. I think they were also told they would get interest free financing also.

I do remember reading that post, but I dismissed it at the time as rumor and hearsay. I still feel that way, though it would be an incredible incentive if Tesla did do this. But time will tell...

Looks like you were correct.

When I originally made that post my friend had told me that he was promised these things by his recruiter. I asked him about it again and he said nothing has been confirmed. It IS just a rumor at this point.

IMO, Employees of Tesla first...current Tesla owners & shareholders second.

It is nothing short of good business practice to look after your employees, current customers and shareholders before prospective customers.

I think they should open it up first to those who own stock in the Tesla. They would have to set a minimum, let's say you must own at least 1,000 shares.

Model X P90D scheduled to be delivered 2/15/16

It is nothing short of good business practice to look after your employees, current customers and shareholders before prospective customers.
That's like saying that when Apple comes out with a new phone, people who already own one should get first dibs on the new models. Worse yet, to say that prior owners should get first dibs based on time of ownership of previous iPhone products. While the people who started back with the original iPhone would LOVE that, not too many other prospective buyers would.

My point is that if you were saying that and you were neither a Tesla owner nor a TSLA stock holder, I'd think perhaps you really do have completely altruistic reasons for saying it. But when owners say that the fact that they are already owners should give them first dibs, that seems a rather selfish statement.

And that is NOT good for business.

They won´t do so. Employees first - I agree, but I´m not sure it will happen. But if they sell M3 to their employees first, they will sell the M3 to EVERYBODY second because they are businessmen. They aren´t stupid. And if they sell the M3 to owners and shareholders who can´t get enough second, they will be our beta-testdrivers. Thanks a lot ... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Regards from Germany

Josh

Last edited:
If anything good business often means companies give deals to attract new customers that aren't available to existing customers. The existing customers are already sold. In any even I would find it highly unlikely that they would have special consideration for current owners.