Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Denver/Aurora CO: Snow chains or tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to the Denver area, and coming from TX never had much experience with real snow/winter conditions. I got stuck in my driveway briefly this morning and now wonder about getting either snow chains or tires. I don't know that much about either (read: grew up in TX). Would I be fine just getting the Trak Sport chains that Tesla sells? Or do I need to consider a whole extra set of snow tires?

Edit: Should add I have a single motor RWD S60

Last edited:
I think most will recommend snow tires based on the two options you listed. In my 20+ years in Colorado, I've never seen (or heard) a passenger car with chains. (I'm sure some people use them, but I can't be everywhere at once.)

With that being said, I've used M/S tires on my CR-V for 19 of those 20+ years and have only been stuck once and neither chains or snow tires wouldn't have helped in that situation.

A separate set of wheels with snow tires is best. I also haven't seen any cars with chains around here. You'll mostly get recommendations on here to use Nokian hakkapeliitta or Michelin XI3 tires, both of which are excellent (I have the latter). It's easy to swap those wheels on November to April and you'll be much safer all winter.

- - - Updated - - -

The only time you use chains is when there is an official notice to put them on or get fined.

Though they could do that, I have yet to see that go into effect for passenger vehicles. They have been using a traction law here quite liberally on the interstates which requires passenger vehicles to be AWD or have snow-rated tires.

A separate set of wheels with snow tires is best. I also haven't seen any cars with chains around here. You'll mostly get recommendations on here to use Nokian hakkapeliitta or Michelin XI3 tires, both of which are excellent (I have the latter). It's easy to swap those wheels on November to April and you'll be much safer all winter.

- - - Updated - - -

Though they could do that, I have yet to see that go into effect for passenger vehicles. They have been using a traction law here quite liberally on the interstates which requires passenger vehicles to be AWD or have snow-rated tires.
You're correct for Colorado. Other states sometimes have those kind of rules. The point was you don't use chains unless you absolutely have to because they are difficult to put on and take off, and they can damage the bodywork.

You're correct for Colorado. Other states sometimes have those kind of rules. The point was you don't use chains unless you absolutely have to because they are difficult to put on and take off, and they can damage the bodywork.

Yep, I agree completely. I was just clarifying for OP that they're unlikely to ever require chains here specifically.

I'm new to the Denver area, and coming from TX never had much experience with real snow/winter conditions. I got stuck in my driveway briefly this morning and now wonder about getting either snow chains or tires. I don't know that much about either (read: grew up in TX). Would I be fine just getting the Trak Sport chains that Tesla sells? Or do I need to consider a whole extra set of snow tires?

The only people with chains in Colorado are from Texas :)
Don't ever consider using chains. They are a pain to install and remove and you have to do that at the most inopportune times. You'll be tempted to just leave them on far beyond the need so you will drive too slow, the chains will get chewed up. The car may get chewed up.
Chains... just say no.

Find a set of used 19" rims and put really good winter tires on them; it's the simplest and safest and most convenient thing to do. I've driven my RWD Sig S with the Michelin Xi3 and my P85D with the Nokian Hakka R2; both are excellent winter tires, with a slight nod to the Hakkas.

For RWD, use snows. If you had AWD, you wouldn't need them. I had no problem getting around Denver today with my D and stock Michelin tires.
Also, oike anything else, winter driving requires some experience and practice. Take it slow and give it time.

I have a dual motor and live in Castle Rock. Personally I find that the added safety of having snow tires is worth the expense and I can drive to work, like today, after a 14" snowfall. I have a spare set of 19" with a new set of x-ice if you want to try them out. They have the newer tmps though.

Welcome to CO!

My Model S is two months old so I was a bit nervous this morning. But she OWNED it. All-wheel drive with stock tires. Rear-wheel is probably much more challenging!