Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March Model 3 Unveil just drawings? No actual car? Disappointed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1/31/2016: Speaking at a special event at Tesla’s base in Chambourcy, France, Tesla CEO Elon Musk hinted at a staggered unveiling for the Model 3 similar to that which we saw for the Model X SUV. “The first pictures of the Model 3 will be end of March” Musk said. “I am being a little coy here, we are not gonna show everything about the Model 3 until a lot closer to production time.”

So basically, we get drawings? Pretty disappointing. Quick, someone spin this as a positive.

------------

2/2/2016: NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tesla Motors (TSLA - Get Reporthttp://www.thestreet.com/quote/TSLA.html) stock is retreating 4.35% to $188.37 in late morning trading on Tuesday after Pacific Crest analysts said demand for the automaker's electric vehicles may be declining.

Channel checks show that orders of the SUV Model X in the U.S. are falling behind expectations, while the Model S sedan "may be approaching its run-rate ceiling," Pacific Crest analysts wrote in a note this morning."

1/31/2016: Speaking at a special event at Tesla’s base in Chambourcy, France, Tesla CEO Elon Musk hinted at a staggered unveiling for the Model 3 similar to that which we saw for the Model X SUV. “The first pictures of the Model 3 will be end of March” Musk said. “I am being a little coy here, we are not gonna show everything about the Model 3 until a lot closer to production time.”

So basically, we get drawings? Pretty disappointing. Quick, someone spin this as a positive.

Someone asked Mr. Musk: When will we see pictures of the Model 3? Mr. Musk responded "first pictures of the Model 3 will be end of March". If you take this to mean there will only be drawings available, I think you are adding meaning or assumptions to his statement. He was saying that pictures will become available at the reveal, not before. (Presumable pictures will be available because the prototype will be photographed at the reveal event, just like every other Tesla model unveiling)

Someone asked Mr. Musk: When will we see pictures of the Model 3? Mr. Musk responded "first pictures of the Model 3 will be end of March". If you take this to mean there will only be drawings available, I think you are adding meaning or assumptions to his statement. He was saying that pictures will become available at the reveal, not before. (Presumable pictures will be available because the prototype will be photographed at the reveal event, just like every other Tesla model unveiling)

I hope you are correct trils0n. Because the way I read it, at the end of March they will show pictures -- ONLY -- and not an actual car. Call me crazy, but I assumed the Model 3 "unveil" at the end of March meant we would get to see an actual car. But perhaps some revisionists will educate me and say, "oh no, Tesla always meant it was just going to show some pictures, nothing more." If I am correct, then I am massively disappointed and don't understand how the stock does not crater immediately. Maybe I need to go drink some kool-aid.

- - - Updated - - -

I am interpreting the article below to mean that, at the end of March, Tesla will ONLY show a few pictures of then planned Model 3 -- but NOT a model 3 that they will drive out on stage that people can walk around and see 360 degrees.

BOMBSHELL disappointing, but perhaps not surprising.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Tesla Petitions to Sell Cars in Michigan, Delays Launch of Model 3
February 1, 2016
By: Jonathon Klein

Though its Model S has been a global hit, Tesla is still struggling with two key issues: Launching its more affordable Model 3 sedan, and convincing state lawmakers to allow it to sell cars direct to consumers nationwide.
The latter has been a thorn in Tesla’s flank since the automaker launched its direct sales to customers. Instead of a traditional franchised dealership model, Tesla sells its cars directly to consumers, thus eliminating the need for dealerships. However, due to the immensely powerful National Automobile Dealers Association, Tesla is facing an adversary that has more clout and money than the electric-car company.

State legislatures throughout the country have even barred Tesla from selling the company’s automobiles inside state lines or getting a car serviced. Customers are then forced to travel outside state lines to purchase and maintain their cars. One state that has been vehemently against Tesla’s sales method is Michigan, which has gone so far as to have the Governor Rick Snyder sign legislation essentially banning Tesla in the state.

Tesla, however, isn't giving up, and recently submitted an application for a dealership license within the state so that it can get some clarity on exactly what the law entails -- possibly paving the way for a legal battle.
According to a Tesla spokesperson, “As recently amended, current Michigan law prohibits Tesla from being able to license its own sales and service operations in the state. Submission of the application is intended to seek the Secretary of State’s confirmation of this prohibition. Once confirmed, Tesla will review any options available to the Company to overturn this anti-consumer law.”

While Tesla has engaged in litigation against states that ban direct sales in the past, the company doesn’t seem to be engaging in it as frequently as it once was. However, being able to sell cars in every state is key to the success of the company's more widely accessible Model 3 sedan.
The Tesla Model S and Model X are relatively expensive, starting at $71,200 and $81,200, respectively. There are only so many households that are able to afford such a luxury vehicle. Tesla’s Model 3 aims to solve that issue with a starting price of just $30,000 after government incentives -- matching the Chevrolet Bolt EV.

Model 3 Delayed?
Tesla had slated the first renderings to be made public of the Model 3 this March, but now according to company CEO Elon Musk, the reveal might not be as revealing as the word would imply. At a Tesla event in France, Musk told Auto Express that, “The first pictures of the Model 3 will be end of March. I’m being a little coy here, we are not gonna show everything about the Model 3 until a lot closer to production time.”

Production of the Tesla Model 3 isn't slated to begin until 2017, which means we might have to wait quite a bit longer until the whole car is revealed.

Tesla’s Nevada-based Gigafactory will allow the company to mass-produce batteries, lowering the cost of the all-important battery packs by 30 percent. For Tesla’s sake, the company needs the Model 3 to be brought to market without issue and without delay, because although Tesla made early strides in the EV marketplace, many other automakers are now catching up with their own products.

------------

2/2/2016: NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tesla Motors (TSLA - Get Report) stock is retreating 4.35% to $188.37 in late morning trading on Tuesday after Pacific Crest analysts said demand for the automaker's electric vehicles may be declining.

Channel checks show that orders of the SUV Model X in the U.S. are falling behind expectations, while the Model S sedan "may be approaching its run-rate ceiling," Pacific Crest analysts wrote in a note this morning."
i believe he was referring to all features, like the biohazard filtration on the model x but a prototype was shown two years ago

i believe he was referring to all features, like the biohazard filtration on the model x but a prototype was shown two years ago

Holy smokes it is like I am living in the Twlight Zone. Tesla just told us that instead of the wonderful Model 3 UNVEILING (a car drives out onto a rotating stage, everyone goes "ooh" and "ahhh"), we will get PICTURES -- ONLY.

And all the believers say, "Well that was always the plan, to just show pictures." Or maybe a Matchbox version? Or perhaps a cartoon drawing?

Nobody dares say this is a massive disappointment? A bombshell?

This is actually more of an amazing psychological experiment than particularly surprising about Tesla.

The first pictures of the Model 3 will be end of March” Musk said. “I am being a little coy here, we are not gonna show everything about the Model 3 until a lot closer to production time.
That's disturbing, they claim production will be in 2017, but imply that we're still a long way away end of q1 2016,
This also hints at showing not all that much at the reveal. I've been saying for a long time that I don't believe the Model 3 will be available before 2019, this isn't doing anything to convince me otherwise, if anything I'm starting to think they're further behind than I thought.

vs.

I don't think you can call it a bombshell and then say it's not surprising...

Really deonb? That is your response to this massive disappointment? Parse my words? Nobody cares about me. The subject is Tesla and the massive disappointment of no Model 3 unveil. The subject is not me, Audi, evil oil companies, evil dealerships, Mars, SpaceX (yeah it's cool).

Focus, folks. Tell us why this is not a massive disappointment. Tell us a compelling argument why this is actually a positive for Tesla. Maybe because they will "focus on quality" or "keep a secret" or whatever. Someone make a cogent argument, please.

I think the confusion here is coming from the article vs the actual video of the event. The article makes it sound like he said they will ONLY show pictures.

If you watch the actual source video of the event, a customer directly asks Elon "When will we see pictures of the Model 3?" Elon then directly answers that question, saying first pictures will be in March. This is like a telephone game between the actual event, and media reporting it.

The article says first renderings will be available in march. Elon said nothing of the sort -- someone asked about pictures, Elon said when pictures would be available (presumably because they'd be taken of the prototype at that time). The article took pictures to mean renderings, and no actual prototype reveal.

I think the confusion here is coming from the article vs the actual video of the event. The article makes it sound like he said they will ONLY show pictures.

If you watch the actual source video of the event, a customer directly asks Elon "When will we see pictures of the Model 3?" Elon then directly answers that question, saying first pictures will be in March. This is like a telephone game between the actual event, and media reporting it.

The article says first renderings will be available in march. Elon said nothing of the sort -- someone asked about pictures, Elon said when pictures would be available (presumably because they'd be taken of the prototype at that time). The article took pictures to mean renderings, and no actual prototype reveal.

OK trils0n, I will take your word for it. I cannot imagine that ALL Tesla would show is just pictures at end of March (no prototype rolling onto the stage).

Really deonb? That is your response to this massive disappointment? Parse my words? Nobody cares about me. The subject is Tesla and the massive disappointment of no Model 3 unveil. The subject is not me, Audi, evil oil companies, evil dealerships, Mars, SpaceX (yeah it's cool).

Focus, folks. Tell us why this is not a massive disappointment. Tell us a compelling argument why this is actually a positive for Tesla. Maybe because they will "focus on quality" or "keep a secret" or whatever. Someone make a cogent argument, please.

Really?

From what I'm reading of YOUR interpretation of the events NOBODY is going to convince you that the sky ISNT falling so I'm not sure why people would even try? I for one will wait until we have a clearer image as to WHAT we can expect to see at the end of March. I would further advise other level headed forum members to do the same. I hope it's okay with you that for the time being I will continue to believe that the skies above are not about to crash down on my head and if its not well that is something you'll need to get used to.

Holy smokes it is like I am living in the Twlight Zone. Tesla just told us that instead of the wonderful Model 3 UNVEILING (a car drives out onto a rotating stage, everyone goes "ooh" and "ahhh"), we will get PICTURES -- ONLY.

And all the believers say, "Well that was always the plan, to just show pictures." Or maybe a Matchbox version? Or perhaps a cartoon drawing?

Nobody dares say this is a massive disappointment? A bombshell?

This is actually more of an amazing psychological experiment than particularly surprising about Tesla.

Tesla told us no such thing. They told us there will be no pictures before the reveal at the end of March. If (and that is a huge if) all they show at the reveal is pictures, I'm sure you will hear lots of disappointment, but why express disappointment in what seems like a lazy journalistic mistake.

Pictures means not photos imho. ie sketches and drawings...

vw_XL1-2-1024x682.jpg

View the video yourself at the 12:30 mark:

Tesla doesnt plan on showing everything about the Model 3 at the March unveiling, will wait closer to production in 2017 | Electrek

Pretty clear that pictures are just that...pictures. As in pictures only. As in there will be no physical prototype that rolls out onto stage.

That is amazingly disappointing.

- - - Updated - - -

Pictures means not photos imho. ie sketches and drawings...

View attachment 110108

Unfortunately this is probably correct. Probably a little more photo-realistic. But perhaps not.

I also suspect that they'll be late, or try to pull the same "we started deliveries in Q4 2017 as promised" shenanigans they did with the X, but I didn't interpret that statement the same way you did: Looking Forward to the Model 3 Debut - Page 49

- - - Updated - - -

View the video yourself at the 12:30 mark:

Tesla doesnt plan on showing everything about the Model 3 at the March unveiling, will wait closer to production in 2017 | Electrek

Pretty clear that pictures are just that...pictures. As in pictures only. As in there will be no physical prototype that rolls out onto stage.

That is amazingly disappointing.

FUD much?

You're disappointed by your interpretation of something that you think someone said about an event in the future? Yep, makes sense to me too. Why not wait for the event, and go from there.