Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Various Central NJ/Metro NYC Blink, Charge Point Charging Rates (electrical not cost)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for those on the forum, especially those who use Blink and/or Chargepoint charging stations. I tested a few chargers local to my home (Somerset County NJ along I-78) with disappointing results. I used Chargepoint at Raritan Valley College, (Card required/free to use) and found the charging rate to be 11 M/Hour which is truly frustrating and would be intolerable if paying $ each hour. My home 220 Volt does about 30M/Hour. I've tried other Charge point facilities and found the same anemic charging rate. Stony Brook University of Long Island was about 6M/Hour. I don't work at these locations so its not like I can park there 8 hours during workday, just need a little topping off to drive home stress free. I will try the chargers at Rutgers University this morning and take note of the rate.

I haven't signed up for Blink as based on their map they don't really have much of a presence in Northern NJ, Metro NYC. I have noted though that they have chargers at corporate facilities that do not show up on their own maps. Johnson & Johnson has several that I know about anecdotally. I didn't have Blink card to access. So my three questions are is 6-11M/Hour standard or anemic based on fellow users experience? Second, is Blink better than Chargepoint overall? Third, is there a general or accepted policy on using a corporate chargers when not there as an employee or guest? Could it be construed as trespassing? Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Plugshare should have all the data for charger locations and the power at each charger.

That being said NJ has great supercharger coverage, I've never used a blink/chargepoint, and don't ever see a need too. If it was at your workplace and was free, sure, but then I wouldn't care about charge speed either.

And most corporate places are behind gates, don't try to sneak in there just to mooch some free juice.

Plugshare should have all the data for charger locations and the power at each charger.

PlugShare is a great resource, but power is rarely listed. Current is sometimes listed.

Most J1772 EVSE's are 30 Amps unless otherwise listed, most 14-50's are 40 Amps unless otherwise listed, and many Tesla HPWC's are 80 Amps unless otherwise listed.

Most of these locations are 208 Volt commercial installations, but 240 Volt installations sometimes happen. Both are often on long runs that droop several Volts, ending up with more like 200 and 232 Volts.

Bottom line: For a J1772 EVSE, assume 30 Amps and 200 Volts or 6kW (~20 mph for a Model S), with specific info taking power up from there.

I've actually used the Raritan Valley College charging stations before -- about 2 years ago -- and got ~19 mph charging rate, which as Cottonwood said is pretty standard for a public L2 J1772 charger. So perhaps something's wrong with it now; it might be worth adding a comment to the PlugShare entry and/or trying to contact someone at the college. If you need a charger in that specific area, Bridgewater Nissan was very nice when I called to ask about charging, and at least one of their charging stations was accessible after hours when I went (also ~2 years ago), and it also yielded ~19 mph. There's also apparently a Tesla HPWC at the Environmental News Network a bit further east on Route 22, which will apparently charge at 40A, but so far I've never used it.

Best rule of thumb for any charger where it's not 100% clear what the rules are is to call ahead and ask.

Also as Cottonwood said, PlugShare.com is likely your best bet for details on charging stations across all the various networks -- largely crowdsourced. They collect power data, but I don't always see it listed.

Question for those on the forum, especially those who use Blink and/or Chargepoint charging stations. I tested a few chargers local to my home (Somerset County NJ along I-78) with disappointing results. I used Chargepoint at Raritan Valley College, (Card required/free to use) and found the charging rate to be 11 M/Hour which is truly frustrating and would be intolerable if paying $ each hour. My home 220 Volt does about 30M/Hour. I've tried other Charge point facilities and found the same anemic charging rate. Stony Brook University of Long Island was about 6M/Hour. I don't work at these locations so its not like I can park there 8 hours during workday, just need a little topping off to drive home stress free. I will try the chargers at Rutgers University this morning and take note of the rate.

I haven't signed up for Blink as based on their map they don't really have much of a presence in Northern NJ, Metro NYC. I have noted though that they have chargers at corporate facilities that do not show up on their own maps. Johnson & Johnson has several that I know about anecdotally. I didn't have Blink card to access. So my three questions are is 6-11M/Hour standard or anemic based on fellow users experience? Second, is Blink better than Chargepoint overall? Third, is there a general or accepted policy on using a corporate chargers when not there as an employee or guest? Could it be construed as trespassing? Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Speaking of charging at RU, I haven't used the Blink chargers over on Livingston but recall a report that they were unreliable and essentially dead. Also, the Nissan CHAdeMO on Livingston campus was vandalized and is being repaired.

On Busch campus, of the 2 Chargepoint units (1 L2+1L1/each), one of the L2 chargers is dead and the remaining one provides about 5 kW when working (about 24A @ 208V usually).

However. Those 2 Chargepoint units are due to be replaced with 2 ClipperCreek units consisting of 4 L2s. Unfortunately, at last report,
Turns out the cables won't budge in the underground conduit. Electrician has to figure out a work around or different way. Can't start yet.
. Bottom line: the oncampus chargers are okay if you can stay plugged in for a couple of hours (commuting) or more (longer range charging).

On the plus side, those chargers get their juice from the 9MW solar arrays on Livingston campus.

So, check Plugshare. (If you have time to kill, there's the HPWC at ENN on Rt. 22:
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/15547)