Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mute from steering wheel doesn't work again, at all this time (7.1/2.9.154)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
I was one of those who noticed immediately that I could not mute my radio while backing up into my garage. I was happy to notice when 7.1 came out, that this was fixed, even explicitly mentioned in the release notes. Yesterday I noticed that the mute functionality from the steering wheel stopped working completely, no matter what is displayed on the instrument cluster. I rebooted the big screen twice and the instrument cluster once, still the same problem. Volume up/down and long press works fine to switch cluster app on the left, so it's not a switch hardware issue. I am almost certain mute worked just fine after the summon update and I haven't installed any new updates, so I'm confused as to what changed. Did Tesla update me without my knowledge with a firmware with this bug (I say bug rather than a feature since the release notes still say I can mute the radio from steering wheel)? Maybe there are minor updates that get quietly pushed out as part of fleet learning?

I was one of those who noticed immediately that I could not mute my radio while backing up into my garage. I was happy to notice when 7.1 came out, that this was fixed, even explicitly mentioned in the release notes. Yesterday I noticed that the mute functionality from the steering wheel stopped working completely, no matter what is displayed on the instrument cluster. I rebooted the big screen twice and the instrument cluster once, still the same problem. Volume up/down and long press works fine to switch cluster app on the left, so it's not a switch hardware issue. I am almost certain mute worked just fine after the summon update and I haven't installed any new updates, so I'm confused as to what changed. Did Tesla update me without my knowledge with a firmware with this bug (I say bug rather than a feature since the release notes still say I can mute the radio from steering wheel)? Maybe there are minor updates that get quietly pushed out as part of fleet learning?

I have been having intermittent dropout of function of the 'press to mute' and also the up/down buttons on the left side of the steering wheel since the last 7.1 update. It usually works for a while after a reboot (pressing both rollers in). I have sent a 'bug report' from my car.

I have been having intermittent dropout of function of the 'press to mute' and also the up/down buttons on the left side of the steering wheel since the last 7.1 update. It usually works for a while after a reboot (pressing both rollers in). I have sent a 'bug report' from my car.

I have an unrelated SC visit scheduled for Wednesday, so I'll mention it when I drop the car off in case it helps them to do some diagnostics while the car is there.

My left steering wheel button/control actually broke so the push in switch part stopped working as you are describing. It had no "click" feel any more so you may have a software issue. Tesla replaced it easily but then when I honk the horn close to the left it pushes the upper fast forward button and switches my radio station or goes to next song. It freaked me out when it first happened because I had no idea what was causing it and I rarely honk my horn. Tesla adjusted it so it rarely happens any more. I learned to use the center console for the mute more often now.

Update:
Mute started working again. No explicit reboot, but it was after the audio app refused to go from the "Browse" tab to "Now Playing" tab. After browsing to FM radio again, "Now Playing" tab started working and so did the mute button. My entire large screen became almost entirely non-responsive a few days ago requiring a reboot, I wonder if I'm having software issues or is there a hardware issue, like bad memory or something.

(I posted this on another thread but it applies here also.)

My screen & dashboard display and also radio problems required daily reboots until the SC updated me from 2.9.154 to 2.10.56. The SC told me that the update would resolve the issues and so far (2 weeks) it has.

i have the issue on my refresh P90DL. i have the latest version of 7.1. Every few days my mute doesnt work and i cannot change radio station on the steering wheel. i have to reboot the car about 4 or 5 times to get it working again.