Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla premium front console + Qi wireless charging idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum. Glad to be a part of it.

I've been noticing the Tesla premium front console with the built in charger, but have been apprehensive to order one since the fitment with a phone case seems to be a real issue so far (And my local dealer does not have one for me to test it out). This got me thinking, and I'm hoping to bounce the idea around and see if there's a solution here...

My phone is a Galaxy s6 with wireless charging. If a small Qi charging pad is plugged into the Tesla console MircoUSB adapter, then my phone could lean against it and charge. The phone would sit in front the small ledge that the adapter is built on, and something could be placed behind the charge pad to hold it upright in the event that the pad was too thin to lean against the back rest behind the adapter. The only thing left to determine would be how to keep the phone in place. Perhaps a magnetic case and pad combo? Or, if to be used as a semi-permanent option, maybe small rubber bumpers on the sides of where the bottom of the phone would rest and larger bumpers to the sides of the charge pad to keep the phone centered to the pad?

I prefer wireless charging to cable charging and I really like the Tesla console, so any advice, questions, or concerns are appreciated. If anyone has the MicroUSB console and a charge pad available to test it, that would be a tremendous help to see if there's an idea here

I actually built a wireless charging pad into my console. It was a simple opening that just fit the phone slightly forward angled so it wouldn't slide around when I drive. While it worked I found the call quality was not as good. Not sure how much it affects it, but I'm pretty annoyed with bad call connections so I abandoned the idea. I'm also not that impressed with Tesla's bluetooth quality over speaker. I much prefer the good old wired ear buds when making calls. But that's just me.

I would try Airdock for magnetic & qi in one Square package. Remove the suction cup arm and bolt to the rear of the console.

Just looked at the Airdock, looks to be a great option. I may even consider putting my Yacht floor back in if I can mount the Airdock to it. I'm realizing as well that with the premium center console, although not as clean of an option, I could plug in a small MicroUSB extension into the built in adapter and have a charge pad sit flat in front of it.

I actually built a wireless charging pad into my console. It was a simple opening that just fit the phone slightly forward angled so it wouldn't slide around when I drive. While it worked I found the call quality was not as good. Not sure how much it affects it, but I'm pretty annoyed with bad call connections so I abandoned the idea. I'm also not that impressed with Tesla's bluetooth quality over speaker. I much prefer the good old wired ear buds when making calls. But that's just me.
Do you happen to have a picture of the pad built in to the console? I currently have an Evannex console (an old one without the phone cubby) and considered experimenting with hiding a charge pad behind the area where the cubby would be, but I like the style of the premium front console a lot more.

So far I have found that the centre console is the worst place to keep a phone in terms of call quality and interference. If I ever leave a phone there I get the old mobile phone interference noise through the car speakers. I have a Brodit holder attached to the bottom of the screen which works really well, and if it's a really short journey and I can't be bothered to remove the phone from it's case I put it in the tiny space in the door just behind the handle.