Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Delivery Start for 70D's

What Month Will 70D's Begin Delivery?

• March

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • April

• May

• June

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • July

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • August

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • September

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • October

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • November

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • December

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I predict October, but I predict it will be a 75D. :)

Given the 5%/year improvement metric from Elon, and the fact that they bumped to a 70 only recently (which would get you to, at most, a 73.5), I think you are dreaming. Until Gigafactory is pumping out enough to supply Tesla cars and Tesla Energy and therefore driving the cost of cells down significantly, they can't afford to sell you a 75 at the same cost as a 70.

Given the 5%/year improvement metric from Elon, and the fact that they bumped to a 70 only recently (which would get you to, at most, a 73.5), I think you are dreaming. Until Gigafactory is pumping out enough to supply Tesla cars and Tesla Energy and therefore driving the cost of cells down significantly, they can't afford to sell you a 75 at the same cost as a 70.
Dreaming? Possibly? Delusional? Probably. But there's a method to my madness...

a.) Elon's mysterious tweet in response to the question from Charging Times about when (or whether) a 70D Model X would come out: "Something like a 70, but probably around 12 months from now." Tweeted in early October, 2015 (since deleted). You can find a screen cap of that and other Musky Twitter gems here: Tesla CEO Elon Musk Tweetstorms (update: Deleted) Model X details and upcoming Model Y vehicle w/ S-3-X-Y Falcon Wing doors | Electrek

b.) October, 2016 will be 18 months after the 70D Model S was announced/released (April, 2015). 18 months is probably enough time to be able to get the cell improvements needed to make the pack 7% higher in capacity without a substantial cost increase. It's actually possible that packs will be manufactured in the gigafactory by then, though probably not in large quantities.

3.) A little battery boost would take the edge off the extra 12 months of waiting for the 70D (compared to first deliveries of the P90D Founders cars).

So, yeah, still optimistic after all these years. And I didn't even order that one. :)

Last edited: