Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweets Tesla's making two "affordable" cars [Model Y]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went looking for speculation on the Model Y after Elon's tweet and couldn't find any.

This was the tweet:
@AwesomelyOZ there will be a Model 3 and a Model Y. One of the two will.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 2, 2015

Implying that a Model 3 based Model Y with falcon wing doors was coming. The strange thing is that Elon deleted the tweet :confused: . Anyways I am looking forward to the Y as I don't need the size of the X.

I went looking for speculation on the Model Y after Elon's tweet and couldn't find any.

This was the tweet:

Implying that a Model 3 based Model Y with falcon wing doors was coming. The strange thing is that Elon deleted the tweet :confused: . Anyways I am looking forward to the Y as I don't need the size of the X.

Hint: Model Y could be the new Roadster. Falcon Wings would look even cooler on a sportscar.

This was the tweet:

I'm pretty sure it's the first we've heard beyond basic info about Tesla trademarking it to spell out S-E-X-Y, which has now morphed into S-3-X-Y (or if someone has the actual symbol handy, feel free to drop it in here).

That said, I have a short post coming (maybe tonight) on EV Obsession about it... surprised I haven't seen one like it yet.

It's an interesting claim and one I felt he might regret making when I first saw it. In a nutshell, the 3 is the next model along and it is almost 99% likely not to have the falcon doors (they are aiming at a price point and having actuated doors will be an indulgence they would struggle to justify). This is slated for a 2017 release.

Then Model Y to follow (does the Roadster 2.0 slot in between these two vehicles - or is Model Y the codename for the new sports car?). No one knows what this car will be. It is logical for the company to continue swimming downstream with a $30K 1 Series / A-Class / Golf competitor. If the X has taught us anything it's that a high margin model is a nice way to buy time while the company grows itself and its operations to a scale where more mainstream models are possible. Following that reasoning we may see the 3 in 2017 with a CUV variant in 2018 followed by the Roadster 2.0 in 2019/2020 and then another mass market car, this time a C Class Compact following hot on its heels and likely utilising the output from a second Gigafactory (reveal 2021, release 2022).

The new Roadster will be priced within the ballpark of $200K (Elon has already sold the first pre-order at this price - who knows where the final product will end up). In that case, we may see a low-slung falcon-winged carbon fibre electric missile following the M3 while the company breaks ground on a second Gigafactory and starts building towards the fulfilment of its strategic goals (swim downstream within the market to facilitate wider EV adoption).

Model Y

The Model Y will be the CUV/SUV variant of the Model 3 and may be launched at the same time as the 3. I think the Y will have Falcon Wings, possibly wide enough to encompass the front door area, thereby replacing all the conventional doors. The 3 will have conventional doors and will be a hatchback sedan like the S, but much smaller.
The Model R will be the next Roadster. I'm doubtful it will have Falcon Wing doors because it seems to me that they add weight, and of course a true "roadster" body style has a removable or retractable top, and you can't get that with Falcon Wings.
IMO.

Last edited:
I'm hoping beyond hope that the Y is an CUV/SUV variant of the 3, maybe along the lines of a Rav4 in size, but I really hope I don't have to deal with the falcon wing doors. If people want them, then make them an option. If it's launched alongside the 3, the current car maker world would be electrocuted with so much fear it would be comical. I would think 2019 for the Y though just because I'd assume efficiency of only focusing on one design at a time. After launch the lead designer could then hand off oversight to the team they have in place for updates and such and main team can move quickly into scaling 3 into a Y. Economics might press the new Roadster in between if it is supposed to be $200k since that, I think, would be just too much margin per car to pass up.