Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot - Love it or hate it?

Are you satisfied with Auto-Pilot?

• Yes.

Votes: 79 84.0%
  • Not currently but I think Tesla can/ will eventually offer all promised options and then I will be.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • No.

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought my S. Initially I wondered if I should shell out the extra cash for a 2014 with AutoPilot features but the difference in price was a solid $15,000 for an otherwise identical car and I opted not to. It seemed like a lot of money for what at the time amounted to a parlor trick, something cool to show your friends. If I'm being honest, regularly reading this forum has given me confidence in that decision but I wonder if I'm being fair with that assessment.

From the perspective of someone without an AP car simply reading these forums, it appears AutoPilot was sold to people as a suite of features that would be rolled out one by one as programming/ testing allowed. What has followed is apparently a mish-mosh of parts of those features showing up, not always working properly and in many cases creating a whole new set of problems. Is that the case?

Those of you that specifically sold your classic S to pick up an AP car, do you feel it was an upgrade worth making? What about the talk of the 2.0 sensor suite? Does that concern you guys? Speaking as an owner of a classic, a common complaint is that Tesla is basically ignoring the original cars with respect to software updates and simply concentrating on the AP cars. Do you guys worry that Tesla has started concentrating on that second suite of sensors and might concede that certain features originally advertised might not ever be delivered on this sensor suite?

Speaking of which... Will those features ever be delivered? Summoning the car in and out of a space you're directly aligned with is, let's face it, all but useless for 99% of people out there however stopping in front of a store, telling your car to go find a space and then summoning it back to you when you're ready to leave, that's useful. Am I right in my understanding that this was something that was advertised? Will it be delivered? What about problems with the cars following exits? Is this something that can even be fixed with this sensor suite?

I guess I'm trying to determine if people feel that the what they got is what they were promised. You can hit up the poll or add your comments. Please understand, I have no positive or negative association with Auto-Pilot nor am I trying to justify buying a non-AP car. The $15,000 savings was justification enough for me. :D

Last edited:
A lot of your assumptions that are untrue in my situation. But that's just me. $15,000? All depends what is non negotiable I guess. I don't have a P and don't need a D. I don't have Pano. And I don't have air suspension. I do have autopilot. AP was my non negotiable. After that, it was the parlor tricks, like being able to raise the car 2" or a big glass roof (not dissing those options...just demonstrating the difference between buyers and their non negotiables when choosing a car). I find the current suite of AP features to be incredible. Even the auto parking and summon...I am either in the 1%, or your percentage is inaccurate. I find it immensely useful.

It would have been $15,000 more to get a P, a D or a deeper pile of options that I don't consider worth my money. But that's just me. My non negotiables are different than anyone else.

My point is...your post kind of assumes all buyers are the same and value features similarly.

Is AP worth it? Way to the YES. To me...it is. Is a P or D worth it? To me...nope. Just sharing. Not teaching. To each their own.

Do we have what was promised? We have what is possible and then some. And it's awesome. No regrets.

I am satisfied. Yes. It needs to be improved. But given that this is early tech, that is to be expected. I find that it works extremely well for my needs. I use it pretty much every day. But the most useful feature for me is TACC. I use that almost all the time.

I haven't perceived the rollout to be haphazard. Seems pretty logical to me. And I have not had any problems with it. I have tried to have realistic expectations. It will take time for this to all work as we envision it could.

A lot of your assumptions that are untrue in my situation. But that's just me. $15,000? All depends what is non negotiable I guess. I don't have a P and don't need a D. I don't have Pano. And I don't have air suspension. I do have autopilot. AP was my non negotiable.

What assumptions? I mentioned my particular reasoning for taking a pass, none of which I used to convince anyone else that they should or should not get AP. I looked at the amount I'd need to spend for an identically optioned car and it wasn't right for me but again, my personal reasons don't come in to play with respect to the questions I asked.

My point is...your post kind of assumes all buyers are the same and value features similarly.

I'm not sure I agree. My post is simply asking if people are satisfied with the product they were sold versus the product they have received or reasonably expect to receive. If you read anything into my comments beyond that, I either did a poor job of conveying myself or you're reading more into my comments than is there.

Do we have what was promised? We have what is possible and then some. And it's awesome. No regrets.

Yeah but see, that statement kind of says it all. If what's promised isn't currently possible will you feel slighted? What if Tesla comes out tomorrow and says "hey guys, we're never going to be able to make the car go find it's own spot in a parking lot and it's always going follow exits on the expressway. Wait for AP 2.0 if you want those features!". Do you think that could be a reality and if it was would you feel slighted or would you just chalk it up to being an early adopter?

At the time, I could've went CPO without AP or new with AP (well TACC only back then). I went with AP.

I plan to never own another car without at least AP. It's a non negotiable item for me.

People on forums like to complain endlessly. I wouldn't put any weight in all the negativity.

If I had to do it all over again today, CPO with AP. If I had to do it all over when I got my car, AP 100%. No questions about it.

100% AP (ok, I technically don't qualify for your discussion b/c I did not get rid of a classic S for AP, but I'm chiming in anyways). Bought the Model S for the AP. Thought it was a cool feature on the Mercedes, but when I found out that Tesla was providing it and going to upgrade it over the life of the car I was sold. We've been using it after 7.1 and getting to really love the AP. I miss it when I have to drive my ICE.

What assumptions?

Your $15000 number is incorrectly assigned, in total, to AP.
No one, including you, would pay $15000 for AP.

I don't know which two cars you were comparing, but I am guessing that, in addition to AP, the $15,000 included all sorts of things.

Probably...
Fewer miles.
Newer.
Parking sensors.
AWD.

As for an owner of an car equipped with AP, I am extremely satisfied. 7.0 worked well and 7.1 works even better.
And, future improvements are coming as well.

So, in my opinion, the AP option is easily worth $2500. As for if the AP plus all the other things you get, are worth $15000, that is up to you.

I'm fine with Autopilot for what it is today and what it can be tomorrow, but that my 4-month old MS will never be as a fully-autonomous vehicle. I purchased the Autopilot option knowing (or at least expecting) it was early tech and would never have the hardware likely necessary to drive itself in a perfect manner in some of the most complex situations (like 4-way stops, or dealing with emergency situations -- flares, cones, or physical people or symptoms indicating a possible problem ahead.). To some degree, it was a $2500 toy that I'm still happy I purchased.

While others will strongly disagree, I personally find little value in most of what Autosteer is at present having to keep my hands on the wheel trying to find various uncomfortable positions to reduce nags... Except in very heavy stop-and-go type freeway traffic where it is simple AWESOME, I find using Autosteer today takes more thought and is more trouble than it's worth -- but that's just me I suspect, as I don't do every-day freeway commutes any longer like many do. OTOH, TACC is what I really wanted Autopilot for, and make greatest use of. I find it extremely useful and several of the Autopilot "extensions" Tesla has provided over those of the competition and my former Lexus and MBZ are excellent, e.g ability to come to a full-stop, yet begin following again as traffic starts and stops along the way.

It seemed like a lot of money for what at the time amounted to a parlor trick

If a car that can reliably steer itself down freeways, swerve away from cars moving into your lane, and automatically brake if you forget to is a "parlor trick" then you and I have very different views on what is truly useful in life.

I've put 1000 miles on Autopilot and it's no parlor trick. If you do not drive more than a couple miles at a time on L.A. freeways I guess it is irrelevant. But if you value your time, safety and sanity, and then take that $15,000 dollars and divide it by the hundreds of hours (if not thousands, depending on how long you keep your car) you will spend driving the clogged freeways of L.A. (and open freeways if you do any traveling) over the life of your vehicle then the additional cost of Autopilot and its active safety features is peanuts.

It isn't perfect by any means - but the complaining you see on this board is a very vocal, very small minority of users.

Don't be "that forum guy" passing judgment on huge features you've never used - go to Find a rental car or make money renting your car Turo and rent an Autopilot Tesla for a week, put several hundred miles on it - then come back and tell us what you think. A poll and a bunch of posts won't do that for you.

There are some "parlor trick" type features on Autopilot - the summon, self parking etc. Useful, but not nearly as useful as its primary feature of steering itself down the highway. If the summon, self-parking etc. were to NEVER work, Autopilot would still be worth more than its purchase price.

Again, if being more relaxed and refreshed as you cruise through heavy traffic or over long distances, and having a car be help you avoid crashes in case your own brain is momentarily distracted are not features that are worth much money to you - well, you've got a fundamentally different perspective on life.

- - - Updated - - -

No one, including you, would pay $15000 for AP.

I would and am doing so - because like the OP implied, used Teslas a couple years old have depreciated $15,000 or even more. The only reason I'm buying a non-depreciated car is because of autopilot - it's that valuable. As a mere $2,500 option on a new Tesla it's a BARGAIN.

...As a mere $2,500 option on a new Tesla it's a BARGAIN.

Very much agree. For what TACC functionality alone provides me on my MS with Autopilot, it cost me more on my former special-ordered Lexus, and what Distronic Plus was on my also special-ordered MBZ, than for full Autopilot on my new MS ...and neither of those vehicles came with the potential ability to receive improved functionality OTA as long as I owned them -- like my MS has already provided twice since I took delivery just 4 months ago.

I would and am doing so - because like the OP implied, used Teslas a couple years old have depreciated $15,000 or even more. The only reason I'm buying a non-depreciated car is because of autopilot - it's that valuable. As a mere $2,500 option on a new Tesla it's a BARGAIN.

In my research, its about a $4,000 swing. My car...an S85. No P, no D. Textile. Tech with Autopilot, Grey color, lighting package, obeche matte...new cost with destination, excluding tax was $86720. Less fed tax credit...$79000.

If I sold my car today, I could maybe get $66,000 with 20,000 miles, zero issues and perfect maint record.

It might be the least valuable 85 with AP out there. But that's the baseline. An AP 85 exists that is worth about $66k. Everything up from there is options. If it were an earlier 2014 with no AP hardware, it would still be a $62,000 car. Great condition 85s in the low and mid $60s go fast. Really fast. But I see the AP as about $4,000 worth of value.

Tricky part is finding one. They exist though. And I think I am really right on my $4k number.

I echo everyone else here.

TACC is more than worth the $2500 extra. I love it and won't get another vehicle without it.

Autosteer actually makes driving in Houston during the rush hours (nearly all day) enjoyable. I also think it will get a workout during upcoming long distance trips. I don't love Autosteer but I like it.

(You've already gotten a Tesla without AP so I hope most of the responses in this thread don't dampen your enthusiasm much.)

Last edited: