Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging unlock process help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged my model s with a clipper creek 25amp charger using the j1772 adapter. When I go to unplug in the AM, I can't figure any easy way to do so as it's locked. The screen says charging complete and yet the unlock button isn't showing. The port js solid green. The only way I can figure out how to unlock the charging port is to set it to charge, cancel it and then the unlock shows on the screen. Then I have to reset the charging back to original setting. Surely another process exists?

I charged my model s with a clipper creek 25amp charger using the j1772 adapter. When I go to unplug in the AM, I can't figure any easy way to do so as it's locked. The screen says charging complete and yet the unlock button isn't showing. The port js solid green. The only way I can figure out how to unlock the charging port is to set it to charge, cancel it and then the unlock shows on the screen. Then I have to reset the charging back to original setting. Surely another process exists?

With the car unlocked, hold down the button on the trunk portion of the fob for 1 to 3 seconds until the charge port light turns white. You can then remove the cable and adapter.

My technique:

1. Unlock the car. That enables the adapter to be unlocked from the car.
  2. Push the handle on the J1772 plug as if you were going to release and remove, then let it close again without removing.
  3. The above action unlocks the latch in the car that locks the adapter to the car.
  4. Use the J1772 and its hook to pull the J1772 adapter from the Tesla. This gives you a much better grip.
  5. Remove the J1772 adapter from the J1772 plug.

I had the same problem. You have to have the key fob with you. Then hold the button down and it will unlock the plug, including the adapter. I assume you have another EV for use with the J1772. I have a Volt but found it inconvenient to schedule charging times and plug/unplug the adapter. Finally went with the Nema 14-50.

I will disagree slightly with one of @Cottonwood’s steps. In Step 2, if you release the thumb button of the J1772 handle, it will immediately lock the adapter into the charge port again. I had this happen repeatedly and had to figure out the right way to do it. Then, from another thread here on this forum, I found that someone linked to a document from Tesla about how to do this. Here’s the link.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70101&d=1422063947

My technique:

2. Push the handle on the J1772 plug as if you were going to release and remove, then let it close again without removing.
  3. The above action unlocks the latch in the car that locks the adapter to the car.
  4. Use the J1772 and its hook to pull the J1772 adapter from the Tesla. This gives you a much better grip.

This is exactly what I do, and believe the most convenient way to do it. The only point I would like to add is, you have to do steps 2-4 in very quick succession. If you give it a sec after step 2, the latch in the car that locks the adapter to the car locks again!

By the way, is there a trick to make it easier so 2-4 don't have to be done super quick. I miss it once every 5 times.

----

Oops, just missed Rocky_H's comment. Went through the Tesla document. I did try that method (by my own deduction) before, and somehow still settled on Cottonwood's method, which turned out to be more convenient for me, in spite of having to do 2-4 super quickly.

My technique:

I will disagree slightly with one of @Cottonwood’s steps. In Step 2, if you release the thumb button of the J1772 handle, it will immediately lock the adapter into the charge port again. I had this happen repeatedly and had to figure out the right way to do it. Then, from another thread here on this forum, I found that someone linked to a document from Tesla about how to do this. Here’s the link.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70101&d=1422063947

This is exactly what I do, and believe the most convenient way to do it. The only point I would like to add is, you have to do steps 2-4 in very quick succession. If you give it a sec after step 2, the latch in the car that locks the adapter to the car locks again!

By the way, is there a trick to make it easier so 2-4 don't have to be done super quick. I miss it once every 5 times.

----
Oops, just missed Rocky_H's comment. Went through the Tesla document. I did try that method (by my own deduction) before, and somehow still settled on Cottonwood's method, which turned out to be more convenient, in spite of having to do 2-4 super quickly.

We are all agreeing with slight nuances. I do agree that in my technique, you have to do steps 2-4 quickly... Once you get the hang of it, this works very smoothly, but there is the occasional failure when you are not quick enough and the car locks the adapter. If that happens, just try again.