Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New competitor in 2018. Next BMW 3 series

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading latest 'autobild', one of Germanys largest car magazines, they write that the next BMW 3 will come with an EV version with 90kwh battery. 'to compete with the tesla model III'.

Last edited:
your info is wrong

"As far as electromobility goes, we should see at least two plug-in hybrids: - a 1.5-litre version with a 60kW e-motor good for a 30-mile range, and a 2.0-litre model with a 90kW e-motor permitting a 50-mile radius."

it will be an PHEV with a 50 mile radius

Please edit your TITLE as it gives out false informations

Last edited:
Do they have any plans for a network of chargers? If not, screw em.
Funny how 5 years ago (ie, pre Supercharger network), the Tesla fans said stuff like "the Roadster has enough range for 99% of people's travel", "DC fast charging isn't necessary". Now, it's the exact opposite. "No DC fast charging network? It's crap." :wink:

New competitor in 2018. Next BMW 3 series with 90 kw battery.

Yes, note that the quoted text describes the output of the electric motor in the announced BMW hybrid, it was not stating the battery capacity.
I made a report to the mods of this forum so they can correct the inaccurate thread title.
your info is wrong

"As far as electromobility goes, we should see at least two plug-in hybrids: - a 1.5-litre version with a 60kW e-motor good for a 30-mile range, and a 2.0-litre model with a 90kW e-motor permitting a 50-mile radius."

it will be an PHEV with a 50 mile radius

Please edit your TITLE as it gives out false informations

What false information am I writing? It says the the new BMW 3 is coming with a hybrid 330e, AND "eDrive sport" with 90kwh battery to compete with model III. I have no motivation in spreading false news about Tesla, im getting my 70D in May.

- - - Updated - - -

image.png

Here is the original text in latest Autobild.

Last edited:
I believe they are used to new posters mistaking kW (used here as a measure of power output from the motor) with kWh (amount of energy stored in the battery). I think by changing your post from 90 kW battery, meaning it could produce that much power for a second or a week, to 90 kW motor would clarify. Also people here get really annoyed whenever a "Tesla competitor," turns out to be a hybrid and not a BEV. There are entire threads on the forum debating this, so I won't go into more detail here. Sorry if the community came off the wrong way.

Funny how 5 years ago (ie, pre Supercharger network), the Tesla fans said stuff like "the Roadster has enough range for 99% of people's travel", "DC fast charging isn't necessary". Now, it's the exact opposite. "No DC fast charging network? It's crap." :wink:

Different Tesla fan subset. The Roadster fans.

Roadster IS a toy for the rich.

Very very people are going to road trip in a two seat roadster or even travel regionally.

On top of early adopters we now have many early followers.

Less willing to tolerate compromises.

In 10 years, Model S owners will say if a car does not have Model S/S Class level of materials,appointments, and fit & finish it is crap.

I believe they are used to new posters mistaking kW (used here as a measure of power output from the motor) with kWh (amount of energy stored in the battery). I think by changing your post from 90 kW battery, meaning it could produce that much power for a second or a week, to 90 kW motor would clarify. Also people here get really annoyed whenever a "Tesla competitor," turns out to be a hybrid and not a BEV. There are entire threads on the forum debating this, so I won't go into more detail here. Sorry if the community came off the wrong way.
Um... Kilowattstunden in German actually does mean kilowatt hour and Akku in German does mean battery. Perhaps it would be good to change the title back to what the article actually says?

That would be a serious threat to the Model S, especially given the high export market on the Model S, and the existing DCFC facilities in much of Europe.

Nothing is a threat to Tesla until it's built, and then only if it's competitive. Simply having the battery capacity of a 2016 Model S, in 2018, does not make it a threat. The existing DCFC infrastructure would have to be upgraded to allow fast charging of a 90kWh battery...and I've seen no evidence that this is planned by 2018.