Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile connector with car now only has 2 end plugs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a lot of reading here while waiting for my Model S. They now only give you two plugs:

• 1 Mobile Connector Main Unit (with 20 ft cable)
  • 1 NEMA 14-50 Adapter
  • 1 NEMA 5-15 Adapter
  • 1 Storage Bag
VS at least a few more. When I asked about it, I was told they only gave the 14-50 and 5-15 for the last two years?

Any others that I should have in my car that I now need to purchase?

The UMC has always only come with those two connectors. All others have been optional purchases from the Tesla online store. Which other ones you might need depends on where you might need to charge. I have nearly all of them just in case. The ones that I've used numerous times are the 10-30 and 14-30 (no longer made) for destination charging off of dryer outlets.

I purchased a 2nd UMC for my home so I can keep one the one that came with my car in my trunk at all times for emergencies. The one that came with my car came with 5-15, 14-50, and J1772. However, the 2nd one I ordered only came with 5-15 and 14-50. At first I thought the J1772 was missing from the second UMC that I ordered. But, after double-checking the website, I realized that it is only included in the bundle provided with the car, and not included in additional bundle purchases.

Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 1.41.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 1.41.54 AM.png

I've just purchased all UMC adapters that I can, and is generally what I'd recommend. I've used the 5-20 a bunch, and could not live without the 10-30 for destination charging. Sadly and bizarrely, there are no longer 30A options from Tesla.

That blows. Basically a $95 price increase on the UMC. I guess some people might not need the J1772 but I sure do. Wife took the car to Greenville SC this weekend and the hotel plugged it in over night for her using the J1772 and returned it to her with 100% juice. Just an example of how that adapter is handy.

And of course it's clearly the best choice for emergency charging too. Fairly silly really to make it a cost option on an all electric car.

That blows. Basically a $95 price increase on the UMC. I guess some people might not need the J1772 but I sure do. Wife took the car to Greenville SC this weekend and the hotel plugged it in over night for her using the J1772 and returned it to her with 100% juice. Just an example of how that adapter is handy.

And of course it's clearly the best choice for emergency charging too. Fairly silly really to make it a cost option on an all electric car.

This is not a change. The UMC kit with the car has always and continues to come with the J1772 adapter. The extra kit you can buy from the Tesla online store has never come with the J1772 adapter. There is no price increase.

This is not a change. The UMC kit with the car has always and continues to come with the J1772 adapter. The extra kit you can buy from the Tesla online store has never come with the J1772 adapter. There is no price increase.
I think it would be more accurate to say that the UMC never came with the J1772 adapter, the car does, and they often put the adapter in the bag for safe keeping, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the UMC.

I think it would be more accurate to say that the UMC never came with the J1772 adapter, the car does, and they often put the adapter in the bag for safe keeping, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the UMC.
Yes, this is the best way of explaining it. To reiterate, nothing has changed with the UMC adapters that came with the car, or the J1772 adapter that came with the car, since it was introduced in 2012.

I've just purchased all UMC adapters that I can, and is generally what I'd recommend. I've used the 5-20 a bunch, and could not live without the 10-30 for destination charging. Sadly and bizarrely, there are no longer 30A options from Tesla.

You can purchase a NEMA 14-50R - NEMA 14-30P adapter. Plug your UMC 14-50 adapter to one end and use the other to plug into a NEMA 14-30 outlet. Just remember to lower your charge current to 24 amps.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    853.3 KB · Views: 50