Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Website for Kind people willing to let people charge their cars at their house....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is there anything like this out there?

im in the process of moving to another state in 3 months, and my current house has been sold and being kicked out in a month...i will need to find a place to live for 2 months until my kids are done with school, and therefore will look for a rented house or executive apartment for 2 months. however, there is no electrical outlet for me to charge the car. i live in dallas, and i was reading that there are alot of kind people who share their chargers? i think i might need it charge once every few days, and dont mind paying someone for their services. thank you!

PlugShare will show you that not only are there plenty of private homes willing to share their electricity to fellow EV travelers -- there are also plenty of public J1772 stations in the Dallas area. While I'm listed on PlugShare and happy to have people stop by, two months of someone coming over every couple of days might be pushing my hospitality. :) I suspect others might feel the same way. A week, yes. Two months? A little too much. (Nothing personal, I'm sure you're a nice person.)

It might be easier to charge during the workday at a nearby spot, rather than hanging out at someone's house every few days. Here's a quick screenshot of the public stations (filtered out residential) in Dallas:

Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 8.44.13 AM.png

bonnie--i appreciate your comments and you are so right...i really dont want to use someone elses hospitality for 2 months...that gets annoying fast. thank you for plugshare...great idea! i have never used it, but will look into it.

Mitch--supercharger is way too far for me, so not very useful.

hi,
There are seven HPWCs @ NorthPark.
Don't know how close you are located to NP Mall... and recently it has been kinda crowded.
BUT, unless you drive a heck of a lot during the week, you could go to dinner and a movie or shopping, and leave nearly full.
Or a lot fuller.

If you don't drive too many miles every day and you have access to a 110, it actually is surprising how it can help, even at only 3mi/hr. As long as you remember to plug in right away. I do it at my sister's house when visiting and am always surprised at how many miles I gain overnight. It's not a lot. 12 hours: 36 mi. But it makes the difference that I need. It might make finding a high power spot less needed.

thanks for the replies all! very nice and helpful people! yea i do go to northpark often to charge, but yes, sometimes its full! then you are in a pickle!

What part of Dallas are you in? I can help you find some free charging stations, if you'd like. We even have several DFW members that would probably loan you their CHAdeMO adapter. Hop on over to the Texas area and introduce yourself!

hi chris! i might be near the galleria area...near the tesla service center. im looking to stay in an executive apartment type setting, so not sure ill have access to a 110V charger.....what part are you in?

I'm just up the tollway from there. The ATT store at Belt Line is free 24A charging and the Service Center is usually jammed up with customer cars, so it's the roll of the dice. 110V is going to be painful, but grab it if you can. Check out the Perot event on the 11th over in the Texas section. Plenty of HPWC there..