Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA bill to allow factory pick up w/o sales tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
End of California tax?

California charges sales tax on all cars delivered in California. This has been an impediment to people who want to pick up their cars in Ca and register them in other states. It looks like now there is a bill before the California Assembly to fix this situation. This bill would exempt cars for delivery to other states from california tax.Lawmaker hopes to lure Tesla buyers for visits with tax exemption | The Sacramento Bee

California charges sales tax on all cars delivered in California. This has been an impediment to people who want to pick up their cars in Ca and register them in other states. It looks like now there is a bill before the California Assembly to fix this situation. This bill would exempt cars for delivery to other states from california tax.Lawmaker hopes to lure Tesla buyers for visits with tax exemption | The Sacramento Bee

Well... Looks like the State Senate did its job... If you want to contact your Assemblyperson - find him or her here.

This would be a fantastic move on the part of California. I would love to fly to CA, do the tour and pick up my new Tesla for a road trip back home. With the ridiculous tax grab in place now - forget it.
I agree. I was thinking about doing this with our X until I found out how high the California tax is and how difficult/impossible it might be to apply that tax paid to offset paying tax in NY on the same car. I do hope this goes through. What's the timeline?

I agree. I was thinking about doing this with our X until I found out how high the California tax is and how difficult/impossible it might be to apply that tax paid to offset paying tax in NY on the same car. I do hope this goes through. What's the timeline?

What I've noticed is that new laws are usually effective Jan. 1... Though sometimes, especially funding ones, go on July 1 (start of the State's Fiscal year.)

We've had the same idea for a while now for our future Model 3, fly in and head back home thru the national parks but with the current CAD-USD ratio, the base model 3 will cost us 50k, adding another tax would be just silly :(
We can only hope that by the time they start rolling out Model 3s, California will have removed that sales tax(would be good for its tourism!) and the CAD will have recovered some...

CA Bill Gives Tax-Free Delivery To Out-Of-State Tesla Buyers
from Green Car Reports
it was always my desire to take delivery at the factory & drive it home. Californians! call your state senator, tell 'em I'm coming to spend some time, and some $$$ :smile:

I'd contact my legislatures but I can't see any reason anybody would oppose this. If it doesn't pass, it would mean the state would get to keep the sales tax from those who come to CA, buy a car to take to another state, and pay sales tax there. But how many people are there who do that? I can't see anybody buying a Tesla in CA and driving it out of state to register elsewhere unless this law passes. I can see plenty of people renting hotel rooms, visiting SF while they are here, eating at restaurants, and all sorts of other things that will give the state many times any revenue it would potentially lose.