Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmed Working EVSE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

W.Petefish

Apr 29, 2011
I would like to know what brand of EVSE has been successfully used with the Roadster. The reasoning behind this is I am making a table of confirmed working EVSE brands and the amount of current they can supply.

I would also like to know if you had the firmware upgrade that enabled Coulomb brand charging stations when you connected to that station.

I have charged on Blink Network and AreoVironment chargers successfully.

Here is what I have so far:
View attachment EVSE Compatibility Chart.pdf

EVSE type doesn't guarantee ampacity. They can be configured for lower current & lower pilot signal if the wiring and/or circuit breaker behind them doesn't support full current.

With that said, Blink, Aerovironment & Coulomb Chargepoint are basically all 30amp (~6.6kW).

Generally the only higher ampacity you find around are the Clipper Creek / EVI units which are similar to the Tesla HPC.

I have seen a handful of Eaton power stations around. Apparently they make a 30A and a 70A capable version.
http://www.eaton.com/Electrical/USA/ProductsandServices/ElectricalDistribution/ElectricVehicleChargingSolutions/Level2ChargingStation/index.htm
Anyone charged a Roadster off of one of them?

Some of it boils down to the J1772 plug type. They have the common, less expensive 30A rated plug, and then the high end, expensive 70A version. So you either find a "run of the mill" 30A J1772 EVSE or a high end 70A capable which may be set lower (e.g., 40A, 50A or 60A) due to wiring limitations.

There are also the portable EVSEs that come with the Leaf and Volt.
Anyone tried charging a Roadster from a Leaf or Volt mobile J1772 ?
There are quite a few Leaf portable EVSEs modified for 16A@240V (3.3kW) now...
Not something one really needs if they already have a Tesla UMC (which is more capable), but if you were curious to see what works and doesn't work with the Roadster J1772 adapter...

Last edited:
I have not tried to charge with the Volt or Leaf mobile connector.

I can say that Eaton was not aware of the compatibility issues. (I just called a representative.) That being said, there are no Eaton chargers in DFW.

I have seen a handful of Eaton power stations around. Apparently they make a 30A and a 70A capable version.
http://www.eaton.com/Electrical/USA/ProductsandServices/ElectricalDistribution/ElectricVehicleChargingSolutions/Level2ChargingStation/index.htm
I called Eaton as I was going to buy one of their 70 amp units for my office. They told me that their website was wrong, and they do not intend to manufacture the 70 amp unit. They felt that there was not a need for anything higher than 30 amps! I tried to tell them that they are very wrong!!