Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the trunk button grayed out unless the driver's door is open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the car is in Park, one should be able to open the trunk from the 17" screen.

And is that new with 7.1 or did I just never notice it before.
I think it must be new in 7.1, because I'm pretty sure I don't have that limitation on 7.0

7.1 should be named "nanny mode" I'm sure this is in response to all the people who claimed that the whole third of the dash lighting up to tell you your trunk was open wasn't a big enough warning and to try to prevent people from opening the trunk while driving and not noticing!

I frequently pop the trunk for friends when I pick them up or drop them off, all without getting out of the car, it would be silly for me to open my door first.

I just went to try it, OP is wrong, sort of.

When you press park, the car is still locked and the trunk is locked, you need to press to park again to unlock the car. Once the car unlocks, you can open the trunk.

When you press park, the car is still locked and the trunk is locked, you need to press to park again to unlock the car. Once the car unlocks, you can open the trunk.
Alternately you can hit the little lock icon on the console and accomplish the same thing. I didn't realize the "double park" would do the trick. Probably easier.

The car must be in park, and unlocked, which the first caused the latter in 7.0.

However, I also would like to be able to open the trunk without unlocking the car. I'm IN the car. If I push open, it means I want to open the trunk. Even my 7 year old Tahoe does this fine...

I was going to say I didn't notice this being an issue at all. I then realized that when I'm doing this I usually have a passenger that has exited the vehicle which unlocks the doors.

I have 7.1, and just went out to emulate your observation. For five minutes, I could not duplicate it...until I altered, in "Settings", some of the vehicle's Auto-lock options.

There is child-lock, driver-only or all-door, lock on walkaway, etc., as I'm sure all of you are aware.

WE keep all of these options in the miminum security set-up. It was only when I altered them to some more secure possibility that the Trunk Remains Locked gray screen the OP mentions came into being, so it appears it's a feature of that.

It is a setting: > Settings > Vehicle > Unlock On Park.

If you have it set to ON, the car unlocks when you go into park and the trunk can be opened. If you it set to OFF, you have to hit park again or open a door. Depending on your other settings, opening a door may not unlock the rest of them either.

I have Unlock on Park OFF, for security. If anyone wants to get out of the car, it doesn't matter. If someone is waiting to get in, it's easy enough to press Park a second time or press the Lock icon. I can deal with the inconvenience of unlocking first if I want to open the trunk (though I don't understand why they changed that; it's up there with removing the Media Source button) now that I know why it's happening.