Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How upset should I be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently noticed some out-of-the-way, and minor damage to the door sill area inside the rear passenger door. It appears as though this was caused by a metal object as it left gouges in both the plastic and the aluminum frame as well as causing minor scratches to the finish on the aluminum section. The thing is that I knew this wasn't there before I took myour car in to have the window regulators checked (hitting the chrome trim when I opened the door fast), and I know I did nothing to cause this in the 4 days since I've had the car back. In any case, I sent an email to my service advisor with some pictures and am waiting to hear back. In the meantime I wanted to get some opinions.

Also note you can't really see the scratches in these pictures, but the gouges are pretty apparent.

20160128_161639.jpg

20160128_144852-1.jpg

Last edited:
This enormous pix are so close-up that I can't figure out where they are, despite your description. Could you back off a foot or two, and perhaps put in a coin for scale, and re-take?

So then you're not really upset in the scheme of things, but you'd like them to fix it because you believe they did it and that would just be the right thing to do.

Thats sort of how I'm feeling at the moment, yes. This post is more therapeutic than anything at this point.

This enormous pix are so close-up that I can't figure out where they are, despite your description. Could you back off a foot or two, and perhaps put in a coin for scale, and re-take?

Ah it seems to display okay on my phone. I'll try to edit that.

Edit: that may take a minute it's not as easy as I thought from a mobile device.

You should go down to the SC in your toga and throw grapes at them.

This.

- - - Updated - - -

Serious response: it's annoying and I'm sorry it happened to you. This kind of thing is always a problem at mechanics and dealers - hopefully yours will do the right thing and take care of you. The only way to totally stop it is to take highly detailed photos of your car inside and out every time it leaves your hands for service work - most people (including me) get too lazy to do that. And to do it effectively you need lots of close up shots, which is a real pain in the rear.

I'd be bummed and frustrated (I know this because my wife had a gouge appear in the door while it was in her custody). But, if they fix it the nagging negative feeling would dissipate. They referred me to a real artisit of a dent repair guy who took care of the gouge beautifully. Now I don't notice it. I know in this acute grief period this doesn't help but: while it is a fancy car it's still just a car.

The problem you have though is proving anything...

Tesla goes above and beyond (at least in my service center). I brought my car in because one of my scroll wheels was acting up. While they were replacing it, they left tool marks (lots of little scratches) all over one of the buttons next to the scroll wheel. I noticed a few hours after I left the service center, I shot them an email, they told me I can bring it back whenever I want to get the buttons changed out to new ones. No "proof" that they did it was required.

I never brought the car back (well not for this), it bothered me when it happened, but my kids have done more damage since then ;).

Well, without hijacking the thread, here's my recent bit of "service" fun ...

This follows my previous service visit about 4 months ago when they replaced the TPM sensors and took a nickel sized chip off of one wheel and replaced it with a refurbished wheel.

Then about a year ago, I had the tires changed, they took another chip off a wheel which was clearly from the tire iron.

It seems there's a major lack of service folks being even reasonably careful.

What amazes me, I've owned the car for 3+ years and almost 30,000 miles ... and not one scratch. 24 hours in service... scratches.

tesla33.jpg

Last edited:
Well, without hijacking the thread, here's my recent bit of "service" fun ...

This follows my previous service visit about 4 months ago when they replaced the TPM sensors and took a nickel sized chip off of one wheel and replaced it with a refurbished wheel.

Then about a year ago, I had the tires changed, they took another chip off a wheel which was clearly from the tire iron.

It seems there's a major lack of service folks being even reasonably careful.

What amazes me, I've owned the car for 3+ years and almost 30,000 miles ... and not one scratch. 24 hours in service... scratches.

View attachment 109653

Did this happen at the Dania SC? Did they make it right?