Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended replacement for the rear shocks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nick

May 22, 2012
One of the rear shocks has gone on my 1.5 after being replaced by Tesla 2 years ago.

Tesla says "they have to come from Europe and we do not have an ETA".

Any recommendations for upgrading the rear shocks?

Car is not being raced. Spends most of its time on the freeway.

Nick

Last edited:
Any recommendations or is the Tesla $6k upgrade kit the way to go?

I'm running the one way Nitrons and very happy with them. You would need to have fabricated a new drivers shock / ABS mount using your original to make them fit, but that's all.

I personally don't think the Roadster needs to be upgraded with the adjustable sway bars. If they're cheap enough and available sure. But for $6k you could get some top of the line aftermarket shocks for sure. Actually some of the best 3-ways! I personally feel the 7-way Bilsteins are too much especially for the avg. joe. People don't even know what to do with all that nor touch it. Waist of money. Most I'd want to go is a 3-way.

So you're running Bilsteins right now, they've been blowing out. The adjustables you're talking about from Tesla again are Bilsteins and these are also known to blow out their seals (as early as 10-15k miles in some cases), but they can be rebuilt. So the real question for you is, do you really want to go back to Bilsteins?

If I had a $6k budget to spend on my shocks it wouldn't be with Tesla's adjustable suspension package that's for sure. If I tracked the car I'd find some way to get the rear adjustable swaybar. Front can be purchased via Blackwatch Racing. Again you don't need adjustable swaybars in my opinion for street driving if you're suspension is setup correctly unless you're auto-crossing or tracking the car. Swaybars I feel are ment to fine tune and adjust your traction between your front/rear easily. Its not ment to be your main configuration. The stock swaybars are thick enough to prevent sway/shift. Note that the Elise/Exige never came with a rear swaybar when sold stock.

Last edited: