Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla planning to release two models at once?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think that Model 3 and Model Y will both be released at the same time. This guy seems to, though: Model 3 surprise: Tesla is preparing to announce 2 vehicles in March | Electrek

The clear implications is that Model 3 and Y will both be announced concurrently in March. Nothing would make me happier, as I would put down 1 reservation for each car. However, I highly doubt that I will see this happen... just because that would be an incredible secret for Tesla to keep, even this long and because nothing in my life has ever worked out that perfectly.

I suspected that they'd announce 2 vehicles. It only makes sense. Like the X and S have the same chassis, so would the 3 and Y. So why not announce the two at the same time? No engineering problems to delay the Y this time, since they solved them with the X.

I was under the impression the 3 would be both a small sedan and CUV type setup, using the same skateboard setup... so yea, it's feasible.

OMG, this page calls it the $30,000 BOLT! I am so sick of that. It's $37,500 sheeple!

People speculate, but Tesla has given zero indication that they are planning on announcing anything but the Model 3 sedan next month. Basically the only reason we know they plan to announce anything next month is because of Elon saying things like:

"Model 3, our smaller and lower cost sedan will start production in about 2 years. Fully operational Gigafactory needed. $35k price, unveil in March, preorders start then."

(emphasis mine)

I going to go ahead and give you a confident "No" on this one. They have a hard enough time trying to release one model at once. They'll get to the other one eventually though.

Personally, I think they will both be considered Model 3, just variants of Model 3. The Model Y will be a later sports car to replace the Roadster, but this time completely designed and built by Tesla with Supercharging, double dog ludicrous mode, and falcon wing doors. Though personally, I'd like to see them make a pickup truck. Or even a motorcycle. And as long as I'm going crazy, a Tesla lawn tractor too. I would so buy a Tesla lawn tractor.

Yeah, I see no real indication that tesla plans to announce the Model 3 and the Model Y simultaneously. It would be interesting if I did happen, and I wouldn't total count it outside the real of possibility, but with the Model X ramp and the work on the Gigafactory I can only imagine that their engineers and designers are stretched very thin at the moment.

In the recent presentation in Hong Kong a graphic showed the Roadster on the left, the S and X together in the middle, and two silhouettes together on the right. The silhouettes looked a lot like the S and X pair and so are not shape specific but the fact that there are two shapes could suggest a near-term plan to have two models.

In the recent presentation in Hong Kong a graphic showed the Roadster on the left, the S and X together in the middle, and two silhouettes together on the right. The silhouettes looked a lot like the S and X pair and so are not shape specific but the fact that there are two shapes could suggest a near-term plan to have two models.

Well its not like the S and the X were released togheter...

Personally, I think they will both be considered Model 3, just variants of Model 3.

It's possible, but it would be extremely unusual. Car companies often share a single car model name across variations such Sedan, Hatchback, Wagon, but they always give the CUV variation a different name. I've always felt the idea that the CUV would be called the Model 3 as well has just come about due to a misunderstanding of one of Tesla's slides.

I definitely do believe that there is a near term plan to have two models. I just don't see any real convincing evidence that they'll be announced simultaneously. I also don't find those images convincing as evidence as they are obviously just silhouetted version of the S and X.

I hope this is the case, but I doubt it. I'm sure they are doing some work on both models in parallel, just to make sure they won't need to make significant modifications to the platform once they want to start producing the Model Y, but I think it will arrive later than the Model 3.

The Model Y is likely the most suitable car for me, but if they announce they plan on start selling the Model 3 in 2017, and the Model Y in 2018, I will likely buy a Model 3. If so, I think we will see the story of the Model X repeat itself. Once they find that there is significant demand for the Model 3 to remain supply limited for several years, the Model Y will be placed on the back burner.

If they reveal both models and plan a near smultanous production startup, then I will feel confident to buy the Model Y.

OK, so I KNOW that Tesla isn't revealing two models in March. I knew this before I posted this thread this morning. I read the article, kind of laughed it off and proceeded to indulge myself in flights of whimsy, imagining a world where the Model Y is released next fall.

But in the end, I knew it wasn't true. Apparently, I am more discerning than other news outlets, who simply read the electrek article and reported it as gospel. Even now, there are at least three "news" sources out there that have not retracted what they printed, despite Tesla explicitly saying that they're wrong. On another note, It's good that Tesla quashed those rumors before that could get any [more] traction. Otherwise the new in March would be "Tesla disappoints again, only revealing a sedan version of it's Gen III vehicle.

I guess my new question, then, is "Where is the journalistic integrity?" At least the author of the first article had an independent source before writing what he wrote. SMH.

TMC Speculative Post #1: "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if Tesla did <_thingy_>."

TMC Speculative Post #2: "I would be really stoked if Tesla did <_thingy_>"

TMC Irresponsible Post #999: "Tesla is going to do <_thingy_>"

Outside Journalist: "Reports are Tesla will <_thingy_>"

Tesla Motors Corp: "Deny".

Lather, Rinse, Repeat

TMC Moderators need their salaries quadrupled. Now.

TMC Speculative Post #1: "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if Tesla did <_thingy_>."

TMC Speculative Post #2: "I would be really stoked if Tesla did <_thingy_>"

TMC Irresponsible Post #999: "Tesla is going to do <_thingy_>"

Outside Journalist: "Reports are Tesla will <_thingy_>"

Tesla Motors Corp: "Deny".

Lather, Rinse, Repeat

TMC Moderators need their salaries quadrupled. Now.

4 * 0 = ? :biggrin:

Tesla is ambitious but 2 new models at once would be too ambitious. I can see Tesla showing the Model Y off before the Model 3 hits production but I expect at least a year to pass before we officially see the Y. The Model Y is not a secret though. It's been talked about just as long as the Model 3 has.

I don't see the lengthy delays on the Model Y as we saw with the Model X. I hope Tesla has learned the X lesson and makes the vehicle very similar to the 3 so there doesn't need to be intensive redesign and differentiation from the Model 3. That is too costly for the mass market CUV.