Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Following a Tesla Model S (Alpha) in the Palo Alto hills, CA.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could just be the shaky video but it looks like it's handling those twisty roads real well--and with some get-up-n-go, too!

Agreed! Obviously even if the Model S were an ICE, you wouldn't be able to hear it from the vantage point of the following car, but it's still interesting to think that it was accelerating with very little sound and commotion. Compare that to the ICE roar of the camera car. Good driving by both drivers, but a little nerve-racking when watching the bicyclists riding by.

Nice find, EV_de! Thanks for posting.

Yeah, Page Mill is not a road to be driving up fast on weekends - there will be lots of cyclists after 10am and there are a lot of limited visibility corners. The Model S will do better than most cars, being able to accelerate on the flats and regen brake for those blind corners. If you want to get up to Skyline fast, 84 is a better choice (most cyclists would take OLH instead.)

That hump at 3:40 is really fun on a bicycle when doing 40.

Yeah, Page Mill is not a road to be driving up fast on weekends - there will be lots of cyclists after 10am and there are a lot of limited visibility corners. The Model S will do better than most cars, being able to accelerate on the flats and regen brake for those blind corners. If you want to get up to Skyline fast, 84 is a better choice (most cyclists would take OLH instead.)
I have to agree - it's quite irresponsible to be driving that quickly on a public road with that many cyclists - especially when you aren't able to keep the car in the lane. Seemed like every corner both cars were over the double-yellow - and every other corner they were either passing cyclists in the same direction or coming across cyclists in the other direction.

Nothing scarier than descending a hill on a bike when you come across a car straddling the double yellow.

That hump at 3:40 is really fun on a bicycle when doing 40.
With a bit of pedaling one can get up to 45 without too much trouble. :) Of course, you have to do it in the opposite direction that the video went in.

When my son and I test drove a Tesla Roadser 3 months ago, we were surprised the dealer gave us the keys. We went up Page Mill Road, and came right up on a new, red Corvette. He looked at us, hit the gas and took off. We stayed right on his tail easily, in spite of a dozen attempts of him trying to get away. When we returned to the dealer, you could not get the grins off our faces. I put a deposit on a Tesla Roadster on the spot and my son did so on a model S.

I retrospect, I wonder if that Corvette was a Tesla plant? Crafty! Got two sales out of it.....

I'm actually going to be genuinely concerned for cyclists and pedestrians in general when I'd inevitably sneak up on them in my quiet Model S. The road noise from the tires may be audible but, probably not enough. I've had those quiet hybrids themselves sneak up on me in parking lots and such.

I'm actually going to be genuinely concerned for cyclists and pedestrians in general when I'd inevitably sneak up on them in my quiet Model S. The road noise from the tires may be audible but, probably not enough. I've had those quiet hybrids themselves sneak up on me in parking lots and such.

I've been driving a Roadster for over a year now, and it hasn't been an issue. If you're driving very slowly then yes, the car is very quiet... but it's also not much of a threat at that speed. At any decent speed the tires make enough noise.

I've had just as many problems with oblivious pedestrians while driving an ICE car. You get problems with people wearing earbuds or are otherwise in their "own little world". I saw a young woman riding a bicycle cross against a light yesterday. She was watching the cars on the left turn light pass in front of her, but was completely oblivious to the fact that she was right in the middle of two lanes with green right-turn arrows! A car come right up to her, stopped, HONKED, and she didn't even notice!!!

At a cyclist's pace the Model S won't be any quieter when cruising than a luxury ICE vehicle. Those manufacturers spend a ton of resources to try and isolate the engine from the occupants by making it quieter, less vibration, etc. If you're walking behind one of these vehicles in a parking lot you won't hear the engine running. Also, with the A/C on in my Roadster, the fans make more noise than an idling ICE.

Wondering if the Model S had a camera on board during that drive? Would be nice to compare sounds, particularly as the ICE revved up while passing.

Doug_G -- I have seen people cross streets with no head turning or acknowledgment they are crossing a street. It is possible people who do this have little or no driving experience and are therefore clueless.

Very cool vid, not sure how I missed it. Looked (and sounded) like the Model S was giving the chase car a run for its money (and possibly not even trying).

I too worried for the safety of the cyclists, especially since the chase car seemed more intent on "riding" the S than watching the road.

I'm actually going to be genuinely concerned for cyclists and pedestrians in general when I'd inevitably sneak up on them in my quiet Model S.

As a cyclist and a Roadster driver I approach them in my EV by putting my left tires over the bots dots when they are available. Only takes one *bump* to let them know you are there. There are other tire sounds you can make when approaching. It just takes a bit of driving creativity.
I still like the special muted pedestrian horn of the EV1 and Volt. Hope Tesla incorporates that concept on this one.