Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Quietly Discontinues the 85 kWh Battery Option in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S'toon

Knows where his towel is
Apr 23, 2015
AB
I confirmed this for myself.

Tesla quietly updated its Canadian online design studio and appears to have discontinued several major options for the Model S in the country, namely all 85 kWh battery pack options.

Three weeks ago, Tesla removed the rear-wheel-drive option for the 90 kWh Model S, but the change affected all markets. In contrast, after verifying the online design studio of several other markets, this change appears to only be affecting Canadian customers at this time.

Since introducing the 90 kWh option in July last year, there’s been speculation that Tesla will soon discontinue the 85 kWh battery to only offer the 70 kWh and 90 kWh, like it does for the Model X.

<snip>
model-s-design-studio-canada.png

<snip>
Full article at:
http://electrek.co/2016/01/27/tesla-discontinue-85-kwh-battery-option-canada/

They recently updated the article with feedback from Tesla

Update: A Tesla spokesperson sent us the following statement confirming the end of the 85 kWh version in Canada:

“The recently introduced 90kWh battery pack offers unprecedented range and value that has been well received by our customers. As a result, we will no longer be offering the 85kWh battery. Model S is designed to be completely customizable, ensuring that customers are able to build the car that meets their unique needs and Tesla is committed to continued innovation and the development of industry-leading technology.”

Could it be for the introduction of the 110kWh battery?

And the introduction of the smaller battery packs for the M3 announced in March? (to create a gap between M3 battery offering and Model S offering?)

Could it be for the introduction of the 110kWh battery?

And the introduction of the smaller battery packs for the M3 announced in March? (to create a gap between M3 battery offering and Model S offering?)

Yes, I think they're bumping them up to make some room in the lower end for Model 3. Even though it's 2 years away from production ramping up they have to keep Model S/X as premium cars and margins so their pack sizes have to be increased to reflect it.

Leaves room for a 60Kwh and maybe an 85 for Model 3.

Speaking of which, Tesla's introductions of new cars never come with lots of details so when Model 3 is announced don't expect more at the intro other than their usual explanation for doing the car, some rough performance specs, and perhaps the battery sizes. They won't tell us what will be optional and what things will cost other than the base price of the car. Those details will be known only when configuration invites go out towards the end of next year. Just remember what happened with the X and set your expectations to the same level.

- - - Updated - - -

I confirmed this for myself.

Yep, same here. Prices are mind boggling due to the low $. Ouch.

It just makes sense. It's not like you can buy the batteries from the Roadster. The improvements are there so the Model S and Model X will have them. I wonder if the current 70 kWh pack cars are already using the new silicon anode batteries? I really expect that the Model 3 batteries will be used in the Model S and X too. The Model 3 will have a new form factor but will they just modify the S and X battery pack to utilize that new form factor or will they stick with the current 18650 form factor for only the S and X? It would make sense to adjust their pack to the new batteries and focus on only the one type of battery. The other option being that S and X will continue to use batteries shipped in from Japan and Panasonic will continue to use the old factor there since they will still be selling the 18650 to others.

It's also possible that sales of the 85KWh battery are low enough that Tesla has started phasing them out and Canada is just first for some reason. It wouldn't be the first time Tesla discontinued options that weren't selling well.

It really does make sense to nix the 85. For our friends to the North, hold on. The exchange will moderate, as it always does. The tough part is waiting. Might sound good for the US right now. But it is killing our trade balance and hurting US companies. So I hope it comes down soon. As always, we can thank Wall Street for this.:cursing:

It really does make sense to nix the 85. For our friends to the North, hold on. The exchange will moderate, as it always does. The tough part is waiting. Might sound good for the US right now. But it is killing our trade balance and hurting US companies. So I hope it comes down soon. As always, we can thank Wall Street for this.:cursing:
The exchange is brutal right now, a fully stripped down 70 with no options starts at $90,400 plus taxes, and honestly, that's pretty generous of Tesla considering that with the actual exchange rate it should theoretically be $100,527

A fully loaded P90DL now costs $183,250 (should be $205,713)

Remember that our paycheques tend to assume the dollar is basically on par with the USA :(

Removed the 85 kWh battery in Canada?

Just read on teslarati that Tesla removed the 85kWh battery in Canada and is only offering 70D 90D P90D. The RWD option is removed all together. Just checked on Tesla here in the US nothing has changed. I wonder if were going to get hit with this and if so will the pricing drop on the 90kWh battery drop at all? What are your thoughts? I few weeks ago a rep in the Lenox Mall Tesla store in ATL said he thinks that Tesla would remove the 85kWh battery option since its so close to 90kWh it only made sense.

I purchased an 85D in Nov 15' for delivery this coming mid March 16'. Seems like if 85D's are all basically 2015's...then ill have a dated model the moment I receive it. All 2016+ will be associated with 90D's now. Asked Tesla abt it and they said Im welcome to switch my order at the new value of the 90D plus $500 fee. I purchased before the exchange rate increase Dec 1st so that's no help. I guess the question to current owners of 85D's...do you feel as I do that the $32-3700 extra for the 26 extra km was Not a good enough value? Or opposite? Would appreciate some feedback here thanks!

Nav

It'll depend on your driving habits - do you forsee taking a lot of long trips? Are you in an area where chargers are few and far between? Will you be doing a lot of long-distance winter driving? Will you be travelling with passengers a lot (family/friends/business) that will get...excited... if you run the car low? If "yes" to any of those then you need to assign a dollar value to each of those questions and compare that to the upgrade cost.