Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip display problem in 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since upgrading to 7.1 a couple days ago my trip display has gone totally wonky. I unplug the car and drive into work in the morning and very quickly the current trip and since last charge displays start showing different distances. The even stranger thing is that they can jump up and down by up to a mile, and I've even seen the distance change by half a mile suddenly when stopped at a light. Has anybody else seen this?

Here is a screen shot after unplugging and driving into work:

IMG_1012.jpg

I left home this morning after reading this. And noticed the same thing. There were .2 - .4 km inconsistencies up to 20km from home. Then the range lined up but the wh/km never got to be the same.

My theory is that it is just rounding errors and mismatched sampling times. These numbers are not constantly updating (microseconds) so some process must sample the current state, calculate the numbers and display them. If they are not the same thread they could get out of sync. But why it would be separate I don't know.

Then when you manually calculate the wh/km it does not match either because we have only 1 decimal place to work with.
I also noticed when i reached exactly 25km the Energy App did not show the same number either. With more accuracy it could be displayed correctly but really does it matter?
They should align over a longer distance which is where it matters.

It is a known issue - i noticed the same a few days ago, and have logged data since. Today after a long drive my display went totally insane. It didnt update for 6 km - neither the distance - nor the energy consumption. However the average consumption dropped from 192 wh/km to 191 during the same period - without any change in the numbers on the display. I called the service number, and got transferred to the service desk, and had the pleasure of talking to a very service minded technician. I was told right away, that this is a known issue. Just an hour before i shot a video of the energy app jumping forward and back in displaying the consumption, and guess that the tech rep could use the video. I also told (and send data from my TeslaMS server) that I expierience the 6 km without data, and could tell the exact times as these were logged in TeslaMS. According to TeslaMS - and the API I could see that somewhere in the car there were communication - however not on the main display. Range logged by TeslaMS clearly shows that the vehicle is sending the data, so the issue must be within the 2 main CPU's for the system.
They are investigating further, but as for now they do not have a timeframe for a solution.