Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snowed in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went yesterday morning to the Strasburg WVA supercharger behind the Denny's. That arrangement is not conducive to snow clearing.

Attachments

• Strasburg1.JPG
    Strasburg1.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Strasburg2.JPG
    Strasburg2.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Strasburg3.JPG
    Strasburg3.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 113
I'm glad you were able to charge, given that set-up. This surely would have been discussed elsewhere, but are those photos deceptive or are the stalls placed at 45º or so to the lot's apparent orientation? If so, do you know why?

I'm surprised that Tesla just didn't spend incrementally more per charger stall (I know it adds up) to make the cord longer for situations like this. Surely someone at some point realized that snow plows may build banks up by the chargers and not let the cars get close enough in to charge. There have been threads before that some had to dig a bit so they can get their cars close enough to charge. I get that in each case, Tesla was notified and promptly sent someone to clean it up, but that's reactionary and I would have have thought Tesla would have the foresight to plan ahead for this.

For Hank, Taurus and E700, I'll post again: where do you think that snow melt would go? Away?

Nope.

If you can put in adequate drainage, it would work. But that would add expense, and snow to this extreme in VA is uncommon and not worth it. It's probably cheaper to add a canopy with radiant heat with gutters, down spouts into a run-off, etc. in areas where snow to this extreme is common.

In answer to your question about the angled spaces, Audie, yes - they are angled.

I have been viewing a good number of Supercharger build threads while trying to populate my trailer-friendly Supercharger thread/wiki. I've run across a few that are angle-in. I don't know how much of the decision about back-in spots has to do with the cost of ripping up the asphalt and how much has to do with the potential for snow. In many cases, there is one pull-through spot which is on a corner section of a curb, and the rest are back-in.

Obviously if the MX is intended to pull any kind of travel trailer, having only back-in Supercharger spaces is going to be problematic or at least inconvenient.

What do you define as Northern? I live in Chicago and the stalls at the local supercharger are pull in stalls.

Anywhere they get significant snow in the winter. Apparently I am wrong, or else Tesla has changed their strategy. I've been to Aurora, Country Club Hills and Highland Park in the Chicago area and they were all back in stalls as far as I recall, although Aurora is one of those "temporary" style sites with one side back in and the other side pull in. The Superchargers are normally off of the driving surface making snow clearing easier.

Anywhere they get significant snow in the winter. Apparently I am wrong, or else Tesla has changed their strategy. I've been to Aurora, Country Club Hills and Highland Park in the Chicago area and they were all back in stalls as far as I recall, although Aurora is one of those "temporary" style sites with one side back in and the other side pull in. The Superchargers are normally off of the driving surface making snow clearing easier.

Yes, it is all over the map. For example, Cheyenne, WY, has drive-in, angled stalls. Take a look at this link for pictures while under construction: Cheyenne, WY Supercharger - Page 5

Here is one of those pictures from Cheyenne:

GOPR0388-md.jpg

Aah, but you're changing the situation (Hank #17). If you try to melt snow when it wants to stay snow, then as soon as that snowmelt flows away from the heated pavement, it will ice up again. Extending that heated zone all the way to a drain, and it will fill and then freeze the drain. Extend the heating into the drain.....¿didn't someone say something about "low cost"?