Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85kWh battery being phased out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure hope not. I also hope that Tesla doesn't begin selling capped 90 kWh packs like they did for the 40 kWh. IMO, I'd rather have 85 kWh cells than those ones in the 90.

Why not? The 40 kWh MS will not see battery degradation for a long time, because it's using a 60 kWh battery. Applying the same logic on the capped 90 kWh battery, should new 85 kWh MS benefit from additional 5 kWh battery?

Sure hope not. I also hope that Tesla doesn't begin selling capped 90 kWh packs like they did for the 40 kWh. IMO, I'd rather have 85 kWh cells than those ones in the 90.

Is there a separate part number for the 90kwh pack? It would surprise me if Tesla was actually making two separate packs for such a small difference in power. It wouldn't surprise me if the current 85kwh pack was just a software limited 90kwh pack.

There is already a thread on this. Sounds like its just Tesla mucking with the website. I wouldn't expect the 85 to be phased out until the 100 shows up.
Seems pretty clear that it's gone in Canada. And why wouldn't you expect it? why should Tesla continue to make both an 85 and a 90? There's so little difference between them that it's ridiculous to keep making both. That's less than the difference between 60 and 70, yet they discontinued the 60 pretty much instantly when the 70 appeared.
Sure, in a little while we'll probably see a 100, or 105, or whatever appear, and the 90 will vanish, it's progress, it happens.

Well, it seems to be true: Tesla quietly discontinues the 85 kWh battery option in Canada, possible indicator of future trend for the automakers lineup (Updated) | Electrek

The recently introduced 90kWh battery pack offers unprecedented range and value that has been well received by our customers. As a result, we will no longer be offering the 85kWh battery. Model S is designed to be completely customizable, ensuring that customers are able to build the car that meets their unique needs and Tesla is committed to continued innovation and the development of industry-leading technology