Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X goes Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked with some people from EU Tesla, and:

* They are working really hard to get Model X to Geneva, with 99% probability of success.
* The European configurator will open in approximately 8 weeks (end of March?)

I have purchased the tickets to Geneva yesterday. Fingers crossed :)

I talked with some people from EU Tesla, and:

* They are working really hard to get Model X to Geneva, with 99% probability of success.
* The European configurator will open in approximately 8 weeks (end of March?)

I have purchased the tickets to Geneva yesterday. Fingers crossed :)

For Your first point I have heard something similar.

For your second point I have heard absolutely nothing so that would be great....... But you say the EU configurator will open...... was your feeling that it will be a general opening or that it will be handled as in the US and as it seems in Canada? With first sigs. being invited batch by batch and then a few weeks later general production.... with the referral Founders inbetween........

Sorry. We mostly talked about the EU pricing and whether EU will have same options as US (e.g. mandatory air suspension with 90 battery, mandatory leather with premium pakcage).
They said that the EU configurations will be made public around march, and we should talk again then.

Given the Ingolstadt registration on that license plate, the working theory is it's Audi importing the car for their own testing and reverse engineering purposes

There are also a lot of testing facilities in the area , due to audi, that Tesla could be using for the different testing needs. I personally do not buy that audi would buy an X in the US and then flaunt it on the open road in of all places ingolstadt....... That would not be in keeping with the normal secretiveness of the traditional auto industry.....

Tesla could be using for the different testing needs. I personally do not buy that audi would buy an X in the US and then flaunt it on the open road in of all places ingolstadt....... That would not be in keeping with the normal secretiveness of the traditional auto industry.....

Ford admitted openly they bought a Tesla Model S and ripped it apart. Audi had 3 of them. Why would they need to be "secret" when driving it legally on the roads? How else would you test it on the Autobahn?

and finally - if you were building the Audi Q6 E-tron it would be crazy NOT to buy one!!!

Ford admitted openly they bought a Tesla Model S and ripped it apart. Audi had 3 of them. Why would they need to be "secret" when driving it legally on the roads? How else would you test it on the Autobahn?

and finally - if you were building the Audi Q6 E-tron it would be crazy NOT to buy one!!!

You might of course be absolutely right. However, getting a US destined MX singularly homologated or partially homologated to drive on open roads in the EU is not just slapping some plates on the car and off you go....... And those plates look to be normal plates (any German please correct me if I am wrong). You have side light and reflector differences and the obvious rear blinker differences that have to be accounted for. to me it's more likely that Tesla is indeed working on EU homologation and working with Rhinland TÜV to get all these tests done for a not to distant EU introduction..... For eg. the Geneva auto show...... But of course you can still be very well right........ And me sadly very wrong.

And those plates look to be normal plates (any German please correct me if I am wrong). You have side light and reflector differences and the obvious rear blinker differences that have to be accounted for.

The Instagram post seems to have been deleted, but I assume it's the same as this picture? https://b6c18f286245704fe3e9-05e2055f4cd9122af02914269431c9f6.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/7721650_first-tesla-model-x-spotted-in-europe-happens_e606b2c6_m.jpg?bg=646469

If yes, these do look like permanent German EU plates (they have temporary ones too, but they use a red font), and getting a car registered in Germany is no small feat, as you said - the requirements for the US and Germany are pretty different. There were special exemptions for US service members, but they also had special license plates. I haven't lived in Germany for over a decade, so maybe things changed, but it's not trivial to register an imported car, although it's possible - you will need to get it inspected and certified. I can only find a German page and Google refuses to translate it. It basically says that non-EU vehicles need to show paperwork that they have been inspected. Anmelden eines Import-Fahrzeugs | de | TV Rheinland

just received this!!

modelXinv.jpg

You might of course be absolutely right. However, getting a US destined MX singularly homologated or partially homologated to drive on open roads in the EU is not just slapping some plates on the car and off you go....... And those plates look to be normal plates (any German please correct me if I am wrong). You have side light and reflector differences and the obvious rear blinker differences that have to be accounted for.

The Instagram post seems to have been deleted, but I assume it's the same as this picture? https://b6c18f286245704fe3e9-05e205...ed-in-europe-happens_e606b2c6_m.jpg?bg=646469

If yes, these do look like permanent German EU plates (they have temporary ones too, but they use a red font), and getting a car registered in Germany is no small feat, as you said - the requirements for the US and Germany are pretty different. There were special exemptions for US service members, but they also had special license plates. I haven't lived in Germany for over a decade, so maybe things changed, but it's not trivial to register an imported car, although it's possible - you will need to get it inspected and certified. I can only find a German page and Google refuses to translate it. It basically says that non-EU vehicles need to show paperwork that they have been inspected. Anmelden eines Import-Fahrzeugs | de | TV Rheinland

Yes, those are permanent German plates. But auto companies can register vehicles with these kind of plates as test cars. They are exempt from regulations but have to be roadsafe.
I am not 100% sure if it was exactly this one, but I saw a white US spec X badged P90D with IN plates the other day in city stop'n'go traffic and kind of circled around it and caught a glimpse of the VIN: it is S00002.

Yes, those are permanent German plates. But auto companies can register vehicles with these kind of plates as test cars. They are exempt from regulations but have to be roadsafe.
I am not 100% sure if it was exactly this one, but I saw a white US spec X badged P90D with IN plates the other day in city stop'n'go traffic and kind of circled around it and caught a glimpse of the VIN: it is S00002.

Guess now we know who bought Bonnie's Model X.

Isn't that Bonnies car? Have she sold it to someone how have import it to Europe or have she maybe sold it directly to Audi? Sounds there strange, hope Bonnie see this tread.

I sold it to a private party. They chose to take it to Europe for a short while to be the first there & will be bringing it back to the States.

Please don't start crazy rumors like that. I'd never sell to a car manufacturer! Car manufacturers aren't out with test cars running errands, in city stop and go traffic. :)

You might of course be absolutely right. However, getting a US destined MX singularly homologated or partially homologated to drive on open roads in the EU is not just slapping some plates on the car and off you go....... And those plates look to be normal plates (any German please correct me if I am wrong). You have side light and reflector differences and the obvious rear blinker differences that have to be accounted for. to me it's more likely that Tesla is indeed working on EU homologation and working with Rhinland TÜV to get all these tests done for a not to distant EU introduction..... For eg. the Geneva auto show...... But of course you can still be very well right........ And me sadly very wrong.
And the supercharging system? I thought that North American Tesla cars can't be charged in the Tesla Supercharging European Network as Europeans ones have different charger.