Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Might be moving to Iowa and need another car...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How best can I purchase a Tesla. Buy in Minneapolis, Omaha, Kansas City or Chicago?

With the ban in Iowa to purchase, are there issues with registering the car in Iowa and getting plates? Does someone live there and can share their experience? I'll probably be in Dallas County (Urbandale specifically).

Other issues or considerations?

Thanks!
Paul

Zero issues with registering, and plates. There is no store in Omaha. Either KC or Minneapolis will make for easiest store delivery. KC can be made on a single charge, and there is a SC between Minneapolis and Des Moines. Of course for no extra charge Tesla will ship it to your door in Des Moines. Just depends on if you care about getting the in-store orientation.

Zero issues with registering, and plates. There is no store in Omaha. Either KC or Minneapolis will make for easiest store delivery. KC can be made on a single charge, and there is a SC between Minneapolis and Des Moines. Of course for no extra charge Tesla will ship it to your door in Des Moines. Just depends on if you care about getting the in-store orientation.

Thank you! I didn't know they'd deliver it our door (once we own a door there!).

Thank you! I didn't know they'd deliver it our door (once we own a door there!).

This is some confusion that bothers me when media phrases it wrong. I see articles that state something like this:
“Customers in Iowa can’t buy a Tesla.”
That is false. The correct way to say it is:
“Tesla can’t sell in Iowa.”
That may sound the same, but it’s not. The state laws can prevent Tesla from conducting selling operations within a state. They may not be able to have stores, give test drives, discuss pricing and options, help people with their orders and financing, etc. However, you, as an individual living in Iowa, can order a car from a website on the internet and have it delivered. The Iowa state laws can’t have any say over that (as long as the product is legal to possess of course).

I ordered my Tesla online and had it delivered when I had never even seen a Tesla store, service center, or Supercharger. I had gotten to see and drive the car once when they brought one to my state for a test drive event. They delivered it to my house from a service center that was over 400 miles away from me. And then I had to pay the sales tax to my state when I filed the registration here.

I had mine delivered in Dallas County, IA (Urbandale) nearly 3 years ago after test driving in Chicago and ordering online. Process was quite easy to register and get plates at the court house. I did order custom plates a few weeks (I think) in advance that I was able to pick up at the same time I registered the vehicle.

I live in Iowa and took delivery of my 2014 Model S in Eden Prairie, MN. Great delivery experience from their staff, too. Be sure you tell your Tesla person that you'll be registering the car in Iowa, so they don't automatically slap MN plates on it! Other than that ... no issues. Just pure joy. Good luck and welcome to Iowa.

There's a healthy bunch of owners in Des Moines. You missed the owner-run test drive event/EV owner gathering in Fall, 2014. It was at the HyVee in Urbandale. If you need to see the Tesla logo in the state, however, you'll need to drive over to Council Bluffs, IA to the supercharger there.
I bought my Model S sight unseen, way back in the 3000's VINs. With your location, you will likely receive service from Minneapolis.

I'd like to just chime in and say that when I read the thread title I had a feeling of dread. I thought the OP already had a Tesla, was moving to Iowa, and wanted to get rid of their Tesla. I was so relieved that my interpretation was wrong!

My family may be moving to Oklahoma this summer and we will be taking both of our Tesla's with us. The midwest needs more of us! :)

Anyone here have the same color as mine in Des Moines and dropped someone off at DMGCC Friday at 12:15pm?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    502.6 KB · Views: 142