Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

very errant trip meters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before 7.0 or 7.1, the trip meters behaved themselves, incrementing by an annoying 0.2 km. But at least they were in sync.

After one of the recent updates, they're seriously out of it. One piece of evidence is the photo here. Note the meters for "since last charge" and "current trip": same distance (a coincidence…) but with "avg energy" figures that aren't even close.

It's worse than that. On the trip illustrated, distances A and B seem 114.8 km apart. Over the course of the trip, that difference varied enormously. The distance meter "sticks" irregularly in trip A and B and the other two (but not at the same time), then "skips" to the next number, which may be a few kilometres (or part) higher, certainly not 0.1 or 0.2.

That problem occurs mostly at higher speeds. At lower speeds, the changes are more in sync with less sticking and skipping, but not correct sometimes even then. The problem has also been noted on this forum by people driving in miles.

I'd like confirmation of this from other km drivers, and would like it even more if you'd send in a request to have this fixed (Contact | Tesla Motors). One request will be ignored; we need many.

I depend on these figures for various calculations, as others will, I'm sure. It's incredible that they haven't been able to get this right.

Attachments

• trips.jpg
    trips.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 183
Echoing this same issue. It is quite annoying making the trip meter quite less useful. Every morning, I start the car charged and with one single trip. So the "Since last charge" and "Current Trip" numbers should be theoretically identical. But on the highway, sometimes it differs so much that it basically renders itself useless. I have observed some out-of-whack numbers like Avg Energy 156wh/km and 212wh/km, although they do end up somewhat close after some local driving. I don't know what algorithm is behind.

There's doubt that the bug report as voice recording gets to Tesla. That's one reason I suggest using the web form (Contact | Tesla Motors), also please e-mail ([email protected]). Thanks.
I emailed servicehelpna recently about a different topic, mentioned that I had reported it numerous times with the bug report feature, and they basically told me that nobody pays any attention to those and that I should email them the details instead. Which is quite unfortunate because the bug-report is infinitely easier and more accurate.

I've noticed the same problem, often to an extreme since November and I've been through 3 updates now with no change. Reported to my local SC with a description of the problem outlining the many symptoms and some videos. Apparently they were able to find some internal notes about it being a known firmware bug and forwarded my observations to the engineering group. Who knows at this point what attention it will get. Maybe we can hope that one their developers is having similar issues.

Haven't seen this since last Friday, updated to 2.12.45.

I had been seeing this daily since last November, sometimes to an extreme. It was rare to finish a commute without the trip odometers freezing for up to 5 or even 10 km and large Wh/km discrepancies between current trip and trip since last charge when they both started at zero.

So far so good but I'm a skeptic so I'll see what happens over the next week or so.

I would experience this issue so frequently it's hard to imagine that 2.12.45 didn't address it at least to some extent. I've gone almost a week without any sign of trouble. I had been seeing this happen on almost any trip at almost any speed.

This morning I have notice of another update. I'm so frustrated with their poor regression testing I'm not installing it until I know if the problem's not gone. Right now my car's working fine, I simply don't need any more broken features new or old. This is not the first time they've introduced bugs for functionality that had been working without problems Too many recent examples