Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virginia and hard-wired Radar/Laser detectors -- the actual facts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard lots of different things from different people, but I'm planning another road trip through Virginia (twice).

So what *really* happens if one gets pulled over with a hardwired/stealth install radar/lidar system, like STir+?

I don't believe they can confiscate it. I know they're big on VG2 detection, so in the past, I usually turned it off and drove the speed limit (I guess that accomplishes their goal!).

Someone told me they now just issue a $25 ticket.

But can they cause me real trouble? What if I get caught with the device on in VA?

I'm looking for real experience, not just guesses. ;)

thanks.

Keep it under 80 in Virginia.
(You probably already knew this, although I had a friend once get jammed up this way.)
Never Speed In Virginia: Lessons From My Three Days In Jail

Thanks for sharing the story. I used to have a lead foot, and when I moved to Virginia 15 years ago I wish someone had warned me. I never got charged with reckless, but I've paid some nasty fines. I moved from Illinois/Cook county, which would negotiate every ticket. Hire an attorney, be willing to pay more fines, and you're done. In Virginia, hiring an attorney did nothing for me, except take more bills out of my pocket. And I got the same line "I should be able to get this reduced, if not dismissed." Yeah, not so much. I was going 68 in a 55.

How far down are you going?
Look out for SC/NC.
GA is notorious for Rear laser hits

Yes, I saw those comments in your other thread. I generally don't speed "that much" maybe around 75 most of the time, but usually less than 80 most of the time.

I'm going all the way -- NY to Florida! (I did this same trip last year without any incidents). Last year, I didn't know what VA cops would do with a hard-wired system. I was thinking about taping over the laser shifters in case I got pulled over to show them I was aware of the law and honestly trying not to break it.

It's called using WAZE, for the police alerts. Love that thing and it is accurate :- p Never be the first car in the pack. Never have gotten a ticket yet in VA. Anything over 20 mph is reckless driving, anything over 80 in VA automatic reckless driving.

About 10 years ago when I moved down here, I got pulled for speeding. The officer saw the radar clips on my windshield, and asked where the detector is, I told him in the glovebox (I had to reach there for my registration anyways). He said VA doesn't even allow you to carry one in the car (even off), he didn't ticket me for it.

It's called using WAZE, for the police alerts. Love that thing and it is accurate :- p Never be the first car in the pack. Never have gotten a ticket yet in VA. Anything over 20 mph is reckless driving, anything over 80 in VA automatic reckless driving.

Waze wont always save you -- think rural virginia late at night not northern VA.

I've used the Tesla-Waze app in the browser, and I found it kinda slow and clunky, but does it work well enough? It also seemed to have a lot of false-positives.

I don't want to start messing with my phone while driving to run it there.

Tesla Waze is slow and clunky. I prefer to keep Google maps up on my 17" while I drive.

I've used Waze on my phone (I have it mounted to the right of the 17" anyways), there are some false positives, some false negatives, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Personally I don't like the false sense of security it gives, and just don't use Waze.