Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time from confirmation to production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered and confirmed a 90D on 12/26 and it still hasn't entered production. Is this normal? Not hearing a lot from my DS other than "I don't have any update on this time but it should still be delivered by the end of February".

VIN is 123866

Based on what I've seen on the forum it's normal for vehicles in the US to be delayed at the beginning of the quarter. The speculation is that Tesla builds all of the international cars first to boost quarterly delivery numbers.

I ordered 1/5 and my vehicle is still in the 'production queue'. Same type of response from my DS. I was told it should enter production by mid February. I definitely feel your pain. And don't get poor Zybane started- he's had worse than most.

(S70 shipping to Columbus, OH)

You can check out the delivery spreadsheet to get a feel for other buyers' situations: Model S Order Delivery - Google Sheets

On the bright side everyone agrees that once you're sitting in your Tesla you forget all about the wait :)

Last edited:
I received an email message from my DS earlier today. He wrote that our 90D, which we ordered on 1/13 and confirmed on 1/20, "is currently estimated to enter production during the week of 2/8."
Oh now see, that's what I'm talking about. I ordered on 1/10 and confirmed on 1/17. That's not fair! :mad: WHAAAA! :scared: IWANTMYMONEYBACK!!! :cursing:

not. :rolleyes:

As you know, the Asia-PAC and European builds are forward loaded in any quarter to the first month.
If you look at the JAN-FEB-MAR tracking sheet here on TMC and sort the entries by Production Date,
you will find that only 6 or 7 US cars have been assembled in the entire month of January. In fact the
most recent production cars are still European bound.

Very soon, we shall see the Asia-PAC and Euro orders being put on hold and the US and Canada bound
orders getting into full swing. I expect (hope) that my order will begin assembly some time in the second
or third week of February 2016 for a mid-March to April East Coast delivery. Transit times from CALI to the East Coast
can take from 7 days to 28 days depending upon mode, enclosed trailer being quickest and train being slowest.

BTW, byan1232, you are "stuttering" Next Gen Seats in your SIG line.... :wink:

Last edited:
As you know, the Asia-PAC and European builds are forward loaded in any quarter to the first month.
If you look at the JAN-FEB-MAR tracking sheet here on TMC and sort the entries by Production Date,
you will find that only 6 or 7 US cars have been assembled in the entire month of January. In fact the
most recent production cars are still European bound.

Yes, and it's completely ridiculous. My car get's pushed back an entire two months just so Tesla can hit some ridiculous beginning of quarter European sales target with virtually all of those orders placed after mine?

If I didn't have custom wheels being built for my car I think I would have cancelled long ago. I think I still may. Oh, and Tesla delivery at HQ just ignores your phone calls and never returns calls. Amazing quality company. NOT.

Zybane:
You probably know this, but there are folks here on TMC who pre ordered their Model S and waited 2 years to get their early cars! Sight unseen.
It would be nice, however, if Tesla production scheduling were able to let us know when the car would be built. All we have now is to figure backwards from
the estimated delivery date on MyTesla.

Figure 7-10 days for production and 7 to 28 days for transportation.
When you take the worst and best your production start should be somewhat figured out in a bracket.

I think we need to make things FUN for you.... how about a WHEN WILL ZYBANE GET HIS 90D DELIVERED LOTTERY?
For Prizes we all can donate some Tesla STUFF to the Winner...

For instance I have a first edition of Nick Howe's "Owning Model S".... (have just got in the new 2nd Edition).

I just heard from my DS that production for my vehicle is now estimated to start the week of 2/22, which almost certainly pushes my delivery back to March. Oh well.

I have been keeping a kind of order rate by quarter tally.
This tally is based upon VIN numbers assigned during the quarter.
This JAN-FEB-MAR 2016 quarter is surprising to me.
I had thought that the Model X would steal Model S orders away.
However, as of yesterday Tesla was assigning 120 VIN numbers per day which is a JAN-MAR quarter record.

Based on what I've seen on the forum it's normal for vehicles in the US to be delayed at the beginning of the quarter. The speculation is that Tesla builds all of the international cars first to boost quarterly delivery numbers.

I ordered 1/5 and my vehicle is still in the 'production queue'. Same type of response from my DS. I was told it should enter production by mid February. I definitely feel your pain. And don't get poor Zybane started- he's had worse than most.

(S70 shipping to Columbus, OH)

You can check out the delivery spreadsheet to get a feel for other buyers' situations: Model S Order Delivery - Google Sheets

On the bright side everyone agrees that once you're sitting in your Tesla you forget all about the wait :)

I was told they actually stopped doing the international builds first, but I could be wrong. Does your spreadsheet reflect that,?

- - - Updated - - -

Bear in mind that there is a huge fluctuation in travel times as you get out towards the east cost because Tesla is using rail to Chicago now.

I just heard from my DS that production for my vehicle is now estimated to start the week of 2/22, which almost certainly pushes my delivery back to March. Oh well.

I was told they actually stopped doing the international builds first, but I could be wrong. Does your spreadsheet reflect that,?

- - - Updated - - -

Bear in mind that there is a huge fluctuation in travel times as you get out towards the east cost because Tesla is using rail to Chicago now.

Yes, go into the JAN-FEB-MAR order tracking google spreadsheet and sort on Production Date High to Low.

You will see that until recently, most orders had a non-US delivery destination.

After Chicago, the train carries on to a rail yard in Newark, NJ.

I wrote my DS early last week and this is what he responded

"Hi Carlos,
It looks like the production team has our production window schedule for the second half of February, putting our delivery window sometime in Early March."

I confirmed 1/18 and got a vin 1/20