Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Profile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a newbie Tesla owner, I have noticed a minor irritation that may have already led to some discussion here. I am 10" taller than my wife. When she drives the car and exits, I can hardly even get in! Is there an easy way to manage this problem? It's kind of like lifting the toilet seat! Sometimes I forget and leave it up and it often leads to disaster! I could suggest that she always reset the profile to me, but given my poor performance with the toilet seat at home, she might not be receptive!

Yes. Set up another profile called something like "Exit". Position the seat low and back, with the steering wheel up and in, and save it with Exit. BEFORE you each get out, touch Exit and you'll have plenty of room for both of you to exit and enter. After either of you get in, touch your profile and everything will go back set your way.

It's a good workaround since a Tesla does not have easy enter/exit like other luxury brands do that handle all that automagically.

...I should add regarding that Exit Profile: Be careful placing the front seat further back than you really need. I unfortunately found within just a couple of weeks, I was wearing the corner of the protruding part of the arm rest attached to the B-pillar because I started rubbing that edge as I got in and out of my MS. Moving the seat a little further forward as part of my Exit profile stopped making that new problem worse, with perhaps just a little additional effort getting in and out.

Last edited:
In addition to BertL's suggestion, you could also send a friendly letter to Tesla Motors with a list of your top five suggestions for improvements. This problem has been complained about for years, and there is still no better resolution. If enough people complain about the same problem, it will (eventually) get fixed--not for your car, but for future cars.