Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raleigh NC Delivery Team dropped the ball

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Selecting, buying, going to pickup my inventory P85 in Rockville, MD had gone very smoothly - minus the weather delay on 12/23 that played havoc with my flight - until I had to deal with the Raleigh Delivery Team to get my NC title and tags on the vehicle. I hate to post negative comments, but my frustration level has reached the point that I would feel badly not sharing this experience, with the hope that someone can use the information to escape the inconvenience. I shall also try to do a "Readers Digest" report :smile:

Picked up vehicle in Rockville, MD on 12/23/15 with a VA 30-day temp tag.
Notified via phone call on 1/6/2016 by the Raleigh Delivery Team member that I need to get the car inspected and to email the inspection report and the registration card from my old vehicle (I am transferring my old plate) ASAP so that they can get the title and tag paperwork done.
Emailed the inspection report and registration tag scans to the Raleigh Delivery Team on 1/8/2016
1/15/16: Called several times and left message on Raleigh Delivery Team number that I had not heard from them regarding title and tag and temp tag was expiring in less than a week. Followed up phone call messages with email to DES contact person.
1/18/16: Another call and message left. DES returned call and said that he had made an error in the paperwork and it had to be resubmitted to NCDMV and he would do that on 1/19...progress (I thought).
1/22/2016 TEMP TAG EXPIRES. Another email asking for update from Raleigh DES person. Email response that day says paperwork was left with NCDMV "earlier in the week" and was due to be process on 1/22 but since we had ice and snow DMV was probably not working. DES says he will go Monday 1/25 and "stand in line until it is done" if I need to.
1/22/2016 - New Tesla now parked in garage until I can legally drive it - not a happy new Tesla owner now :cursing:
1/25/2016 - Still parked in garage. Called at 3:45 pm was told the DES was "at DMV office right now." 5:39 pm DES emails that DMV changed the fees and he did not have the correct amount to pay by check! Check should be "coming tomorrow and I will stand in line to get your paperwork processed."
1/26/2016 - Still parked in garage at 1pm so DES called. "Check has not come yet but I am going to email person about it."

At this point I am no longer mister nice guy trying to catch flies with honey. I get out the vinegar and request a loaner vehicle that I can legally drive while Tesla gets its act together and I get a title and tag. Nope, can't do that. Offer is to bring me another 30-day tag so I can legally drive my car! I am not sure that I can survive 4 years or 50k miles of this CUSTOMER NO SERVICE.

Thanks for letting me vent :cursing::cursing:

Gotta take the good and the bad with no dealerships with issues like this.

On the 15th you should have gone to the SC and done stuff in person. Emails and phone msgs can quickly be forgotten about but a upset customer in the middle of the.... sales area, not so much. Tesla should have really done something on the 18th when they realized they messed up the paperwork and at worst should have started work for a extra 30day plate for you.

I had a similar experience with Raleigh delivery team. I took delivery of an inventory car in Charlotte in early December, 2015. My temporary tag expired on Jan. 1, 2016 and I finally got an email from Raleigh on Jan. 7 that a permanent tag was being Fed Ex'd to me. Very little communication from the team either before or after delivery.

Likely an outlier experience due to complicated and perhaps unfamiliar transaction, but mostly our friends at DMV. I had no problems on Dec. 4th (new car with no plate transfer), in fact an excellent walk through by Dave, although the loan paperwork had a simple dating error and/or typo), and I had to redo all the papers from home. Also, I didn't receive my plate until the end of the 30 days -- DMV sent it to Tesla Raleigh, and they had to overnight it to me.

Last edited:
Another reason Tesla needs a ticketing system with built-in accountability checks.

At every single step of the way, someone owns an action. That individual would be nagged by the system until they accomplish the action and update the system so the next action gets activated and the next Tesla person gets notified they now own this, and then the process starts over again.

With such a system, a customer demanding status should be able to find out from any Tesla employee where their order is in the "process", who's currently accountable, etc, etc.

Also, with such a system, managers could in theory keep an eye on their staffs, and if any staffer slips, and their action item isn't done by due-date/time, the slippage escalates to manager, etc. If manager doesn't respond within X time units, system escalates to next higher-up mgr, etc.

I dunno. Something. Anything. This has gone on long enough. It's still a mess, and it's going to get worse by the time Model 3 is out, and that's pure failure on Elon and the executive management team, imho.

Another reason Tesla needs a ticketing system with built-in accountability checks.

At every single step of the way, someone owns an action. That individual would be nagged by the system until they accomplish the action and update the system so the next action gets activated and the next Tesla person gets notified they now own this, and then the process starts over again.

With such a system, a customer demanding status should be able to find out from any Tesla employee where their order is in the "process", who's currently accountable, etc, etc.

Also, with such a system, managers could in theory keep an eye on their staffs, and if any staffer slips, and their action item isn't done by due-date/time, the slippage escalates to manager, etc. If manager doesn't respond within X time units, system escalates to next higher-up mgr, etc.

I dunno. Something. Anything. This has gone on long enough. It's still a mess, and it's going to get worse by the time Model 3 is out, and that's pure failure on Elon and the executive management team, imho.

Good post. But I would think getting title and tags would be in the introductory class on customer service. They had all of my initial paperwork, including the power of attorney for title work, in mid-December! I am not the type who starts yelling and screaming until I think someone is just not doing his job. I thought the DES would have my title and tag transfer completed in less than a week! There is no excuse for not communicating with a customer, especially when the DES caused the first delay. Perhaps I am an outlier, as CHGolfer surmised, but having one Tesla customer being ignored is too many when it is a simple matter of communication!

Good post. But I would think getting title and tags would be in the introductory class on customer service. They had all of my initial paperwork, including the power of attorney for title work, in mid-December! I am not the type who starts yelling and screaming until I think someone is just not doing his job. I thought the DES would have my title and tag transfer completed in less than a week! There is no excuse for not communicating with a customer, especially when the DES caused the first delay. Perhaps I am an outlier, as CHGolfer surmised, but having one Tesla customer being ignored is too many when it is a simple matter of communication!

For whatever reason it takes Tesla a long time to get permanent plates.

It took me almost 30 days to get my permanent tags. I emailed the DS about 3 days before expiration, and he said that if they don't come before they expire he'll get me another 30 days temp tag. I think they showed up the day before the temp tags expired.

I also had a very bad experience picking up my car in Raleigh. No fun extras, no frills, no excitement, barely a walkthrough. I drove up to Canada 30 days after I picked it up and had a very faded temporary plate. After emailing back and forth many, many times, I finally got another temp plate (fortunately they let me back across the border with a ridiculously faded/expired plate). I would never get a pick up from there again. The Charlotte location seems much more on it in my opinion.

Just wondering, but in your state would you have been able to just transfer the plates over yourself? Whenever I've gotten plates, I've just gone down to the DMV and been out within 15 to 60 minutes. Once I needed a temporary tag extended and it was as easy as walking in and paying something like $4.00 to get it extended for another 30 days. Another time, my plates were stolen and I just walked in and got new ones after paying by a $10 replacement fee. I've never had a dealer take care of the plates for me and never had a problem.

As Cyclone mentioned, I think you would be able to just keep the bill of sale with the car or go in and get a new temporary tag issued for a few dollars.

Last edited:
Just wondering, but in your state would you have been able to just transfer the plates over yourself? Whenever I've gotten plates, I've just gone down to the DMV and been out within 15 to 60 minutes. Once I needed a temporary tag extended and it was as easy as walking in and paying something like $4.00 to get it extended for another 30 days. Another time, my plates were stolen and I just walked in and got new ones after paying by a $10 replacement fee. I've never had a dealer take care of the plates for me and never had a problem.

As Cyclone mentioned, I think you would be able to just keep the bill of sale with the car or go in and get a new temporary tag issued for a few dollars.

He shouldn't have to deal with his own plate because he paid Tesla to handle it, but, agree that this situation got blown way out of proportion. No cop will ticket you for an expired temp tag if you have bill of sale and a smile. This happens all the time. In my experience, most DMVs take more than 30 days to process - especially considering the recent weather related shut downs.

Same thing happened with my last two vehicles. I'm on my second temp tag with my Tesla. Called my DS when the first one expired and they sent one via FedEx. I drove with an expired temp tag for a few days. No big deal.

add me to the list as well...still haven't gotten my permanent plates yet...and it's over 2 months now...requested to get another Temp tags lead to back and for between DMV and Tesla....never had to deal with plate issue like this before with other car purchases....it's like the Fates don't want me to enjoy my dang Tesla!

DS brought my registration card to my front door this afternoon! All's well that ends well - but dang this stress was really not necessary.
@WMAC - having an accident without a valid license tag is a bit more than "no big deal" in NC
@CYCLONE - Don't think the bill of sale carries much weight with the NCDMV - at least not in Raleigh. YMMV in Charlotte

I once was stopped for an expired tag that was due to an error on NCDMV's part. Officer had to ticket me and I wasted a half day at the courthouse getting the ticket cleared. Met several other "criminals" who were there for the same reason.

DS brought my registration card to my front door this afternoon! All's well that ends well - but dang this stress was really not necessary.
@WMAC - having an accident without a valid license tag is a bit more than "no big deal" in NC
@CYCLONE - Don't think the bill of sale carries much weight with the NCDMV - at least not in Raleigh. YMMV in Charlotte

I once was stopped for an expired tag that was due to an error on NCDMV's part. Officer had to ticket me and I wasted a half day at the courthouse getting the ticket cleared. Met several other "criminals" who were there for the same reason.

glad you got it!

Wow. CA makes it so much easier. It did take quite some time for me to get everything: final papers, temp tag, etc. And I bought in 10-14. But CA seems to be pretty easy about this stuff. Probably because so many car are sold here. There is likely no way the state can keep up. And our temp tags are folded up in this little pouch that is then stuck on the interior windshield, so no fading. I remember moving out here 30 years ago and being stunned that cars were driving without some sort of plate on them. With the tag in the windshield, you really need to be pulled over for an infraction in order for an expired temp tag to ever become an issue. And even if that happens, the cops are pretty darn easy about it. It's happened to me and all I said was that I was still waiting for the state to mail me my tags. Of course, I kept all my ownership docs in the car.

I think that Tesla is simply overwhelmed with demand and is not investing enough in the core issues like this. They need to hire some really solid Ops guys to help them get their act together for these issues. Totally cool tech, etc, is great. But they need to live in the real world of regulations, gov't, etc. And they need to buckle down and live by the existing rules. If they don't, customers end up suffering.

I also had issues with the delivery folks at the NC store. Don't have a clue as to why my delivery was thru them rather than thru Nashville, but it was with many problems. Problems only became fixed once I reached out to Jerome VP of worldwide sales. Really, the only (or almost only) blemish on my Tesla experience.

I can name names, if necessary, as I have copies of all emails. My biggest problem was: car was in transit, and at NC, for total of 4 weeks. I could see that on the web page, emailed them several times. No response until the car was prepped and truck was on its way to pick car up. Then "have you finalized payment? We neglected to send you the forms to purchase, insure, and register your car so we will Fedex them to you today and you will have to register the car yourself within the next 30 days. The car will be at your house later today."